Everywhere the same red-shift, possible?

In order to obtain more good result about the Universe expansion. More telescope observation data of far away stars at every direction are required. We have seen very old light which was emitted from the far away stars or galaxies.

The Universe is expanding. Is it possible that we can see the same red-shift everywhere? Do we have any problem?

Or, are we at the center of the Universe?

According to our current understanding (general relativity) there is no center of the universe. The typical analogy is the surface of a balloon. This surface represents our universe. And there is no center to this surface. Now imagine the balloon is expanding. An ant at a particular location on the balloon sees the rest of the balloon surface around it expanding. And any other ant in any other place also sees the rest of the balloon surface expanding from its point of view.

So no matter where you are in our universe, you see the rest of the universe expanding from your point of view.

Edited by I ME

The Universe is expanding. Is it possible that we can see the same red-shift everywhere? Do we have any problem? Or, are we at the center of the Universe?

We will see the same red shift for all clusters of galaxies that are at the same distance from us. But the farther away these superclusters are, the more red shifted they are. No problem at all with that.

Most folks around here will say the universe has no center, according to the balloon analogy. But the analogy requires a leap of imagination into the realm of spatial dimensions. That is what bothers me about it. I liked to think of the universe expanding from a single point in a roughly spherical shell, and that shell is hundreds of Billions of light years thick.

Edited by Airbrush

• 2 weeks later...

We will see the same red shift for all clusters of galaxies that are at the same distance from us. But the farther away these superclusters are, the more red shifted they are. No problem at all with that.

Most folks around here will say the universe has no center, according to the balloon analogy. But the analogy requires a leap of imagination into the realm of spatial dimensions. That is what bothers me about it. I liked to think of the universe expanding from a single point in a roughly spherical shell, and that shell is hundreds of Billions of light years thick.

That would assume preferred directions in space, with redshift visible in two dimensions but not in the third, thickness, direction. Where is the evidence of that?