Deep mystery surrounding life itself

Dean Mullen

I cannot comprehend how I just exist, like I know where my biology came from, but I within, my conscious awareness of reality seemed to come from nowhere, like a certain state creates a living thing but what defined that one of them would be me? Why am I experiencing this body? why am I experiencing at all? I know my body creates my experience but whose to say that another body couldn't have produced by consciousness? I know its hard to understand, but I just cannot comprehend how one can experience the world around them, while complete seperate beings experience a completely different perspective of the world.

The idea that my brain just created by consciousness is too impossible for me to comprehend, I cannot comprehend how other consciousness' can experience the world at the same time as me and yet I have not one single glimmer or tip of their experiences, I feel as if there must be some secret to it all, please tell me if you believe there must be something deeper than what we know and what it may be, thank you.

I cannot comprehend how I just exist, like I know where my biology came from, but I within, my conscious awareness of reality seemed to come from nowhere, like a certain state creates a living thing but what defined that one of them would be me? Why am I experiencing this body? why am I experiencing at all? I know my body creates my experience but whose to say that another body couldn't have produced by consciousness? I know its hard to understand, but I just cannot comprehend how one can experience the world around them, while complete seperate beings experience a completely different perspective of the world.

The idea that my brain just created by consciousness is too impossible for me to comprehend, I cannot comprehend how other consciousness' can experience the world at the same time as me and yet I have not one single glimmer or tip of their experiences, I feel as if there must be some secret to it all, please tell me if you believe there must be something deeper than what we know and what it may be, thank you.

You exist because that's how it happened. Your consciousness is the ability to measure the environment and yourself, so from that I'm not really sure where you draw the line between an actual consciousness and a machine.

Why is this in quantum theory?

Probably because your consciousness effects atoms at the atomic level.

Edited by steevey

Why is this in quantum theory?

Because consciousness has a lot to do with quantum theory, quantum dechorence and the destruction of wave function via observation theory, it's the best place to put it.

You exist because that's how it happened. Your consciousness is the ability to measure the environment and yourself, so from that I'm not really sure where you draw the line between an actual consciousness and a machine.

Probably because your consciousness effects atoms at the atomic level.

Yes I can see but there obviously is some very deep undiscovered truths revolving around consciousness, I doubt its as simple as biology emerges and consciousness came with it, and then one of them just turned out to be me, I find it very hard to accept the idea that what we see is what we get, and there must be something defining us as truly conscious, maybe we have some undiscovered ability to experience, while the brain processes what we experience perhaps.

Because consciousness has a lot to do with quantum theory, quantum dechorence and the destruction of wave function via observation theory, it's the best place to put it.

Yes, in the sense that the rules governing quantum objects roughly add up to the classical chemistry an physics that govern how our brains work. By that standard everything should be posted in quantum theory.

Please provide evidence that our neurons behave as quantum objects. As far as I know, our neural processes occur at a scale neither small nor energetic enough to observe any quantum effects. I'm quite sure the physics of the brain can be explained well classically.

Edited by mississippichem

Dean is attacking a disturbing subject.

Why me?

You can answer that following the steps of the anthropic principle. If you weren't you there are 2 possibilities:

1. be someone else. But in this case you could ask the same question and return to the starting point asking why me again.

2. not be.

Shaekespearean dilemma: to be or not to be.

As it seems, nature (your father & mother in the circumstances) decided you to be. And since you were lucky enough to arrive at sufficient age & mental development, you can ask the question. I guess you will continue to interrogate yourself when your professor will ask you to come and answer a difficult question (why me?) or when a bullet will kill your fellow best friend on the battlefield (why not me?), I hope this will never happen.

The good thing is that when you are being, you can ask question. When you are not being, you cannot ask any question.

Does that answer something?

-----------------------

Maybe not.

Conscious awareness.

Where does it come from? I don't know.

Here is my opinion:

What I know is that the brain is essentialy made to do another job, that is to regulate the incredibly complicated functions of the organism. Of course, this regulation cannot be achieved without some knowledge of external variables, that is the reason we have senses.

The whole combination has developped in the human being into a system including recognition of itself and conscience.

I don't know if it is a privilege of the human race but I know I have those abilities. We call that "intelligence".

IMHO it was not exactly intended to be, it just happened. Maybe it is an error of nature and evolution will erase that function in the future, or decide it is terrific and expand the technology to other species. I will not be there to know.

What is the relation with Quantum Theory I would like to know...

Edited by michel123456

Yes I can see but there obviously is some very deep undiscovered truths revolving around consciousness, I doubt its as simple as biology emerges and consciousness came with it, and then one of them just turned out to be me, I find it very hard to accept the idea that what we see is what we get, and there must be something defining us as truly conscious, maybe we have some undiscovered ability to experience, while the brain processes what we experience perhaps.

This is not at all obvious, and there is no reason at all to suppose that it's true. Why must there be any deep undiscovered truths? Whether you find it hard to accept or not has no bearing on the subject. Do you have any evidence that there must be more to the world than meets the eye, other than a feeling?

This surely belongs in speculation, or philosophy. It's certainly not quantum mechanics - whether consciousness is a quantum phenomenon is not established or even tested AFAIK.

Edited by Blahah

I doubt its as simple as biology emerges and consciousness we experience perhaps.

Actually, as far as biology knows, thats exactly how consciousness happens, but its just on a very complex level. Life is different that just inanimate objects, but its still composed of just random lifeless matter.

Although I suppose that there would have to be some kind of property of living things that is also a property of inanimate matter in order to build off of inanimate matter and still get consciousness. Perhaps even matter has some small type of consciousness or property which magnifies with complexity.

Edited by steevey