Rankings

tinyboy21

Another idea: If the person has a specialty in some subject, you have the title say "Physicist" or "Engineer" or whatever. You'd just have a little option thingy for it in User CP. If the person had no specialty, then they'd be "All of the above" or something like that... I don't know what it should be. This way the people could make the title suit what they really are.

While I like the idea of illuding to peoples area of expertise I don't think it should be part of the user title. Perhaps it can be lumped into the Join date/Location/Posts area.

There is also the obvious fact that a distinction may be needed between; interested in and expert in, as some of the younger members, while no less important are usually less informed.

Did you see the ones earlier in this thread?

Maybe:

New' date=' 0 posts

Fresh, 30 posts

Growing, 100 posts

Student, 250 posts

6th Grader, 500 posts

Experienced, 750 posts

Dedicated, 1000 posts

Expert, 1500 posts

Veteran, 2500 posts

Old Fart, 5000 posts

[/quote']

Except replace Old Fart with something else...

Can't you just make them get titles ONLY if the mods want them to, and if they ask, they get "Doesn't Read the Rules" title or something.

No point in randomly insulting people :)

I don't honestly see the point of it. We don't particularly need custom titles: if they weren't available to me, I don't think I'd care very much.

I don't honestly see the point of it. We don't particularly need custom titles: if they weren't available to me, I don't think I'd care very much.
I AGREE! There are a few folks here, like Cap'n, who have a lot of posts but try to contribute something meaningful each time they post. Others like to chat up the threads with useless comments and spammy remarks that add nothing. These folks are the ones who would abuse any new system you adopted.

I AGREE! There are a few folks here, like Cap'n, who have a lot of posts but try to contribute something meaningful each time they post. Others like to chat up the threads with useless comments and spammy remarks that add nothing. These folks are the ones who would abuse any new system you adopted.

And this is indeed the reason we've not done it. I think there's a lot of spamming that does go on around here and I try and delete it when possible. Any extra incentives to spam even more really aren't worth the trouble, and waste all the mods time deleting spam and soforth.