Jupiter and the Eye of Horus

gentleman-farmer

Klaynos

How about the coffin texts, which is also written in stone, but from a later date, it is similar to both the book of the dead and the pyramid texts.

gf) Not true - the coffin texts are a collection of funerary texts that were written on coffins - some of the text material came from the Pyramid Texts - but that is as it should be as the Pyramid Texts served as the origin of the gods of the Egyptians for 3000 years

Some of the Spells in the Book of the Dead originated with the Pyramid Texts as well - but that again is as it should be

Have JohnB tell us who Horus's mother is, what the morning star is, and what passages from the Pyramid Texts found their way to the New Testament!

Then you'll know!

gf

The pyramid texts were from an earlier time and only for the phaeros, whereas the coffin texts were for all.

I am not sure what you mean by "as it should be"

I also don't see why any of that is important as to the validity of this evidence in supporting your assertation that the eye image is drawn from that of the "eye" on Jupiter, also your move from 5 days to 10 days is numerology at it's very worst, 5 is not even 10.

Klaynos

The pyramid texts were from an earlier time and only for the phaeros, whereas the coffin texts were for all.

gf) Not true - It would be un-thinkable that an individual would ever see what was written on a noble person's coffin. The pyramid texts, on the other hand, were the basis (or perhaps the essence is a better phrase) of Egyptian society - which was very open. The religious philosophy expressed in the Pyramid Texts was repeated in a series of (I have not) type of commandments that ruled where ever the Egyptians went. They can be found in the Book of the Dead and on the Internet under the phrase The declaration of innocence Before the gods of the tribunal

This about the declaration of innocence from the University of Arizona - and is very accurate

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~afutrell/w%20civ%2008/declinno.html

Klaynos

I also don't see why any of that is important as to the validity of this evidence in supporting your assertation that the eye image is drawn from that of the "eye" on Jupiter, also your move from 5 days to 10 days is numerology at it's very worst, 5 is not even 10.

It establishes credentials - I do not use the Internet as an authority (except, by example, it is from the U of Arizona, or Harvard) - JohnB on the other hand uses it exclusively - he cannot validate anything

As to the 5 days vs 10 days - I made a geared device that (when I rotated it - it demonstrated the synchronization of the rotation of Jupiter and the earth.

It turns out that there is a synchronization point at 5 days. But if we recognize that rotations may not be the same today as they were - it might have been that just the 10 day is valid

Have JohnB tell us who Horus's mother is, what the morning star is, and what passages from the Pyramid Texts found their way to the New Testament!

Then you'll know!

gf

Klaynos

gf) Not true - It would be un-thinkable that an individual would ever see what was written on a noble person's coffin. The pyramid texts, on the other hand, were the basis (or perhaps the essence is a better phrase) of Egyptian society - which was very open. The religious philosophy expressed in the Pyramid Texts was repeated in a series of (I have not) type of commandments that ruled where ever the Egyptians went. They can be found in the Book of the Dead and on the Internet under the phrase The declaration of innocence Before the gods of the tribunal

This about the declaration of innocence from the University of Arizona - and is very accurate

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~afutrell/w%20civ%2008/declinno.html

Klaynos

It establishes credentials - I do not use the Internet as an authority (except, by example, it is from the U of Arizona, or Harvard) - JohnB on the other hand uses it exclusively - he cannot validate anything

As to the 5 days vs 10 days - I made a geared device that (when I rotated it - it demonstrated the synchronization of the rotation of Jupiter and the earth.

It turns out that there is a synchronization point at 5 days. But if we recognize that rotations may not be the same today as they were - it might have been that just the 10 day is valid

Then you'll know!

gf

No matter what credentials you think you or he may have it doesn't change the lack of any real evidence, 5 days is a significant change over what is in terms of the solar system a very very very very short time indeed. We can measure the change in orbit of ourselves and Jupiter to find the changes in orbit they are not great at all. A synchronisation, I assume you mean something like rising and setting in approximately the same point on the horizon?

Forgive me, but I thought the pyramid texts were written on the inside of the pyramids, and therefore how could they be for anything other than phaeroes? And as far as I can find all of them were of an earlier origin than the coffin texts that have been found, sometimes in not that important tombs...

Produce some evidence or this thread will most probably end up closed.

oh and before I forget, for the record Juipiter is NOT a brown dwarf, it would need to be several times more massive to be.

Klaynos

5 days is a significant change over what is in terms of the solar system a very very very very short time indeed. We can measure the change in orbit of ourselves and Jupiter to find the changes in orbit they are not great at all. A synchronisation, I assume you mean something like rising and setting in approximately the same point on the horizon?

gf) The 5 day synchronization exists today - given earth's 24 hour and Jupiter's 10 hour rotation

All earthquakes change earth's rotation - there are over a million earthquakes per year so multiply a few seconds by a million than multiply by 4500 years - and it becomes very significant and the 5 day synchronization that exists today (remembering we don't know what has happened with Jupiter) - may not have existed 4500 years ago

Evidence? You've systematically denied everything except Occult and you refuse to acknowledge the corrections - or have JohnB demonstrate his credentials by answering the questions I've posed

You may find that JohnB has no credentials -

Scientists do not know the true limits of a Brown Dwarf - to claim otherwise would be a fabricaion

402716main_pia12462-516.jpg

gf

well, for one that picture is nowhere near to scale.

and we do have a very distinct definition of a brown dwarf. 13-80 jupiter masses is required for it to be classed as a brown dwarf and jupiter has a mass of 1 jupiter mass(funnily enough). also, brown dwarfs are typically capable of sustaining deuterium fusion. jupiter is not(this is related to the low mass).

also, with the earthquake thing, you need to realise that only the most massive earthquakes have a measurable change in rotational speeds of the earth and the change is quite evenly distributed as you have pretty much the same numebr of quakes pushing mass up as you get quakes bringing mass down.

the tidal forces of the moon play a bigger role. and even then the difference over the time period is perhaps a single minute.

insane_alien

also, with the earthquake thing, you need to realise that only the most massive earthquakes have a measurable change in rotational speeds of the earth and the change is quite evenly distributed as you have pretty much the same numebr of quakes pushing mass up as you get quakes bringing mass down.

gf) Not true - In 1991 NASA held a symposium, the minutes were written up by Sushel Unninayar & Kenneth H. Bergman under the title, Modeling the Earth System in the Mission to Planet Earth Era, NASA in July 1993

Therein they published a graph - not just of earthquake and the resultant changes to the earth's rotation - but they included a simultaneous correlation with ENSO events (El Nino Southern oscillation, as defined therein by NASA p 111)

So not only do you have to explain earthquake and the resultant changes to the earth's rotation - but now you have to explain earthquake in terms of (El Nino)

gf

post-30453-076019300 1279567613_thumb.jpg

what does this have to do with the eye of horus resembilng the great red spot?

in the chart there is a poor correlation with earthquakes and the rest.

for the mechanism of how earthquakes change the rotational speed of the earth, its called angular momentum.

insane_alien

for the mechanism of how earth quakes change the rotational speed of the earth, its called angular momentum.

gf) And that angular momentum agreement is between ( ) and ( ) and the proof that it relates to earthquake is ( )

insane_alien

what does this have to do with the eye of horus resembilng the great red spot?

gf) It's been the subject of at least 4 posts ( + / - ) and relates to the synchronization of the earth and Jupiter's Eye of Horus

gf

/

insane_alien

gf) And that angular momentum agreement is between ( ) and ( ) and the proof that it relates to earthquake is ( )

eh?do you even know what you said there?

gf) It's been the subject of at least 4 posts ( + / - ) and relates to the synchronization of the earth and Jupiter's Eye of Horus

you do realise we have historical records of the length of day from tree growth patterns right? they say the length of say was NOT significantly different from what it is today.

gf

/

JohnB has more credentials than you do.

the morning star is venus by the way, not jupiter. this is because it always apprears close to the sun(just before dawn or just after sunset) and is very bright.

jupiter is not called such as it can be seen at midnight(depending on planetary positions and so forth).

you also still need to address how they could have seen the red spot anyway.

you are the one making the claim, you provide evidence.

insane_alien

for the mechanism of how earth quakes change the rotational speed of the earth, its called angular momentum.

gf) angular momentum agreements must be between related objects - so I ask again and you have to fill in the brackets with what those two related objects are - and provide proof they relate to earthquake. Otherwise it's apparent you have no idea - and simply wrote it as a feint --

Fill in the blanks ::: And that angular momentum agreement is between ( ) and ( ) and the proof that it relates to earthquake is ( )

insane_alien

the morning star is venus

gf) Wrong! Nor is it Jupiter - nor did anyone say it was

gf

/

gf) The 5 day synchronization exists today - given earth's 24 hour and Jupiter's 10 hour rotation

All earthquakes change earth's rotation - there are over a million earthquakes per year so multiply a few seconds by a million than multiply by 4500 years - and it becomes very significant and the 5 day synchronization that exists today (remembering we don't know what has happened with Jupiter) - may not have existed 4500 years ago

The magnitude 8.8 Chile earthquake earlier this year changed the earth's rotation by about a microsecond a day, so claiming that all earthquakes change rotation by seconds is pure nonsense (anyone with a basic understanding of physics should know this doesn't pass the sniff test). And, not surprisingly, it is not supported by your graph, which shows that over the time span of the graph, the length of the day has not changed by more than a millisecond.

There is plenty of independent evidence to show that the length of the day has not changed significantly over the course of the last several thousand years.

insane_alien

gf) angular momentum agreements must be between related objects - so I ask again and you have to fill in the brackets with what those two related objects are - and provide proof they relate to earthquake. Otherwise it's apparent you have no idea - and simply wrote it as a feint --

Fill in the blanks ::: And that angular momentum agreement is between ( ) and ( ) and the proof that it relates to earthquake is ( )

insane_alien

gf) Wrong! Nor is it Jupiter - nor did anyone say it was

gf

/

!

Moderator Note

Personal attacks and condescending attitude not only will not get you anywhere, they will serve for nothing other than to expedite your exit. I recommend you read our rules and start debating more politely.

Not to mention that this attitude doesn't do much to get your points across.

swansont

The magnitude 8.8 Chile earthquake earlier this year changed the earth's rotation by about a microsecond a day, so claiming that all earthquakes change rotation by seconds is pure nonsense (anyone with a basic understanding of physics should know this doesn't pass the sniff test).

gf) Not true - let's start with insane_alien's claim that

the mechanism of how earth quakes change the rotational speed of the earth, its called angular momentum.

That is clearly false, In order for there to be an exchange of angular momentum the rotational speed of one must occur first - other wise there is nothing to exchange

That said - the conservation of angular momentum does enter into the equation. This is how :: all earthquake change earth's rotational speed. When the speed decreases (and the day lengthens) - the moon accelerates and assumes a broader orbit.

This has been a matter of some concern (and can be discussed later) still NASA has been monitoring it since the days of Apollo - when the crews of Apollo 11, 14, and 15 put laser reflectors on the moon to monitor the moon's broadening orbit. Currently this program (Lunar Laser Ranging) is being conducted by the University of Texas McDonald Observatory, along with another facility in New Mexico

http://www.csr.utexas.edu/mlrs/

The program has recorded a 38 mm per year increase in the moon's orbit. You can figure out (given the mass of the earth and the moon) what magnitude of momentum must be exchanged to give the observed affect if you wish - but it will not be achieved with a microsecond a day (per every 8.8 magnitude earthquake). A few seconds is a far better figure.

S. K. Runcorn wrote an article relating to this - I'll discuss it later

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Experiment

g

/

Klaynos

All earthquakes change earth's rotation - there are over a million earthquakes per year so multiply a few seconds b

This has been commented on by the others I would only be echoing their points.

y a million than multiply by 4500 years - and it becomes very significant and the 5 day synchronization that exists today (remembering we don't know what has happened with Jupiter) - may not have existed 4500 years ago

Evidence? You've systematically denied everything except Occult and you refuse to acknowledge the corrections - or have JohnB demonstrate his credentials by answering the questions I've posed

I'm applying approximately equal worth to both points, they don't seem to have any relevance when applied to your original speculation. There are more fundamental issues in your idea.

This is unimportant IMO, it bears no relevance as to whether the passages you quote apply, or even match the evidence you have presented.

Scientists do not know the true limits of a Brown Dwarf - to claim otherwise would be a fabricaion

Actually we know the limits quite well based on the energies required to fuse deuterium, and the energy that is created by collapsing massive objects. Jupiter is too small, there is no argument about that.

That is clearly false, In order for there to be an exchange of angular momentum the rotational speed of one must occur first - other wise there is nothing to exchange

That said - the conservation of angular momentum does enter into the equation. This is how :: all earthquake change earth's rotational speed. When the speed decreases (and the day lengthens) - the moon accelerates and assumes a broader orbit.

This has been a matter of some concern (and can be discussed later) still NASA has been monitoring it since the days of Apollo - when the crews of Apollo 11, 14, and 15 put laser reflectors on the moon to monitor the moon's broadening orbit. Currently this program (Lunar Laser Ranging) is being conducted by the University of Texas McDonald Observatory, along with another facility in New Mexico

The program has recorded a 38 mm per year increase in the moon's orbit. You can figure out (given the mass of the earth and the moon) what magnitude of momentum must be exchanged to give the observed affect if you wish - but it will not be achieved with a microsecond a day (per every 8.8 magnitude earthquake). A few seconds is a far better figure.

The day length change caused by earthquakes has been precisely calculated, and it is on the order of a few microseconds.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2010/03/02/chile-quake-shifted-earths-axis-shortened-the-length-of-a-day/

If you want to claim that a figure of several seconds is more accurate, you'll have to substantiate that claim with calculations.

In any case, the recession of the moon is well-understood, and is the result of tides, not of earthquakes. You can see the physics and mathematics of this here:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/moonrec.html

And the change in length of day has been measured and calculated quite accurately. The change in day length is 2.3 milliseconds per century, plus or minus a little bit. Nothing more. See NASA's site:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/rotation.html

Klaynos

This is unimportant IMO, it bears no relevance as to whether the passages you quote apply, or even match the evidence you have presented.

gf) Not true -- who Horus's mother is, what the morning star is, and what passages from the Pyramid Texts found their way to the New Testament is very significant

Here's why JohnB made the claim (that Klaynos supported) that Utterances should be quoted not articles (§)

JohnB

It really is better to quote Utterances rather than just lines of text

Klaynos

Oh, selective evidence... and you don't think this should be in speculations?

The truth remains that the Pyramid Texts are written in a style that mixes different story lines in a single Utterance - so you can't quote Utterance you have to sort them out - this would be proven out if JohnB would answer the question

If he doesn't I'll answer it and demonstrate how we work through the Pyramid Texts to understand what is being said

gf

Edited by gentleman-farmer

swansont

gf) Not true - let's start with insane_alien's claim that

S. K. Runcorn wrote an article relating to this - I'll discuss it later

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Experiment

g

/

What? You appear to be claiming that earthquakes are causing the moon to recede.

It is well established that the slowing from the coupling with the moon is from the tides, and that this is causing a slowdown of about 1.5 ms/day/century. This has nothing to do with earthquakes. Earthquakes shift the mass distribution, which changes the moment of inertia. Since this is an internal effect — nobody but you has claimed that there is an angular momentum exchange — angular momentum would be conserved in this case, so the rotational speed has to change.

And I'll point out again that "a few seconds per day" wildly contradicts the graph that you presented, which shows that the length of the day had changed by less than a millisecond. (And the correlation of the LOD fluctuations with ENSO events is likely correlated with changes in moment of inertia due to these events. You move mass toward the equator and the earth slows down)

swansont

What? You appear to be claiming that earthquakes are causing the moon to recede.

gf) True Read S. K. Runcorn

swansont

ENSO events is likely correlated with changes in moment of inertia due to these events.

gf) What do you mean "likely" -- tomorrow I'll give you the sources to solve the quesion - right now it is too late in the day

gf

Right, let's start at the top.

The very first point is that I'm Australian and therefore quite a few hours of time zone away. g-f, do not think I'm ignoring you (yet), I simply go to bed and sleep while you lot are awake.

Not True you are quoting from the wrong book - The Book of the Dead is divided into paragraphs called Spells - there are no §'s or Utterance's in The Book of the Dead

You are also in error by quoting the occult as your source - You did not obtain your quotes from the original source - Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts (your's is just mis-guided occult - and is in error).

Could you please explain how online versions of the pyramid texts are "occult"? I point out that you are quoting a translation that is now hopelessly out of date, the translations now are much better. Did you even look at the link I gave you that showed where Faulkner did not translate certain parts of passages? Your book has bits missing.

While we're at it, and to put things to rest. Why on earth are you complaining on an internet forum that I'm using the internet for references? What do you expect me to do? Make a video showing the pages of my reference books and post it on Youtube? Of what possible use is to you if I said that my translation of #1067 is on Page xxx of my copy of "The Pyramid Texts" translated by Mercer in 1952? Do you expect me to scan the pages of my reference works and post them?

Concerning Spells, Lines and Utterances. Many passages of the three are the same. The lines from the Pyramid Texts (Faulkner) or (Mercer) are often exactly the same as "The Book of the Dead" or "The Papyrus of Ani" (Budge) and the same as the later "Coffin Texts". For example, Faulkner translated the Pyramid Texts as "lines" which is how you are quoting them. Mercer took those "lines" and combined them into "Utterances" in his later translation. The original glyphs for both remain the same.

It is folly to assume that because Faulkner was the earlier translator he was more correct. Both Faulkner and Mercer use the original heiroglyphs as a basis, but due to the work done in the time between the two translations, Mercer is the more authoritive now. Remember that when Faulkner did his translation, many symbols had not been assigned meanings and could not be translated.

Another example - you have to be careful and quote only the Pyramid Texts

Just so you are very clear on this. All my Utterances have been quoted from "The Pyramid Texts", the 1952 Mercer translation. Don't like it? Tough. I'll back my Pyramid Texts over yours any day. (Although I must get a copy of Faulkner, it will be interesting to compare passage by passage with Mercer.)

It takes years and years to understand the Pyramid Texts - You cannot become an expert by quoting the Internet and that JohnB's only resource was the Internet demonstrates that he had no previous knowledge - and that he resorted to personal attacks suggests that he is less than objective

I'm glad you agree that my years studying ancient Egypt haven't been wasted then. :D I told you earlier that I was capable of translating glyphs myself, didn't that alert you to the fact I had studied? Or do you think translation skills are picked up over a weekend course at your local primary school? And what personal attacks? I said that the source you were quoting was wrong in facts and interpretation. I said the source you were quoting was full of rubbish, how is that a personal attack?

Here is a very valid question - If JohnB ever read the Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts (and was thereby qualified) - why is he quoting the Occult from the Internet?

If you compare his quotes to those published in the Pyramid Texts - you'll find him in total error

And here is your answer. Yes, I have read them. Mercer is part of my library. Again, the Utterances I quote are directly from Mercers "The Pyramid Texts". The entire book can be found online here. Mercers translation is taken from exactly the same source as Faulkners, the Pyramids at Saqqara. Mercers is simply a later and better translation. But both are Pyramid Texts.

To answer your oft repeated questions. And I hope that you won't mind if I do it from memory, rather than copying from somewhere?

Nut, the Sky Mother was cursed by Ra that she would not bear children on any day of the year. This obviously upset Nut a great deal and she went and cried on Thoths shoulder for a while complaining about how unfair it was. Thoth however was a pretty cluey guy and decided to help Nut. He couldn't go to Ra because a curse of Ra cannot be lifted. So he went to the Moon and challenged the Moon to a few games of dice. Now Thoth, being the scholar that he was, was able to keep winning until he got the Moon to bet his light. In the course of the game Thoth won 5 days worth of Moonlight which he took with him.

This is of course why the moon waxes and wanes, rather than being full every night. The Moon no longer has enough light to be full every night. Thoth took the 5 days of light and inserted them into the year, between the end of one year and the beginning of the next. (Note that there is very close parallel here with the "5 dark days" after the Winter Solstice in Wiccan and Celtic beliefs) Anyway, since these 5 days did not belong to either year, or any year, then Nut was free to bear children on those days. A child was born each day in the order of Osiris, Horus, Set, Isis and Nephthys.

Your versions may differ, but that's how I heard it. Nut is the mother of Horus. There are however other versions that say that Horus was the son of Isis/Hathor and Osiris, but I just happen to prefer the version I learned first.

Your question about the Morning Star is pretty much unanswerable as a general thing. Because many different local religions were mixed together with the unification of the Two Lands, many different modes of thought were mixed as well. Gods evolved and changed attributes and even appearance. But I'll tell you what, you tell me whos followers you are talking about, and I'll tell you who the Morning Star is. As the answer will differ depending on whether you are a follower of Horus, Osiris, Isis, etc, please be specific. I add that it is not enough to say "In the Pyramid Texts". The followers of different Gods had differing levels of influence at different times. So a Morning Star reference from the Pyramid of Pepys II may have a different meaning to one from the Pyramid of Unas. You need to specify which tomb you are referring to.

I also fail to see the relevence of the New Testament. Except in passing, I've never really read the thing. That there would be similarities is not really unusual though. The people who wrote the Pyramid Texts, Coffin Texts etc were called "scribes". Quite valued for their ability to read and write. Now strangely enough, the people who wrote the Bible (circa 800BC for the OT) were also "scribes", because they too could read and write. Even stranger, it is highly likely that those Biblical scribes were educated in Egypt. Why on earth would you find something odd in similarities in religious texts written by the same people? :doh:

Was there anything else?

Edit to add.

Arrrrggghhh! :doh::doh: You're using the 1969 copy of Faulkner, aren't you? Not an earlier translation. You know, the one with the "modernised" language? "You" and "Yours" instead of "Thees" and "Thous"? The "Good News" version of the Pyramid Texts.

Edited by JohnB

In 1991 NASA held a symposium, the minutes were written up by Sushel Unninayar & Kenneth H. Bergman under the title, Modeling the Earth System in the Mission to Planet Earth Era, NASA in July 1993

Therein they published a graph - not just of earthquake and the resultant changes to the earth's rotation - but they included a simultaneous correlation with ENSO events (El Nino Southern oscillation, as defined therein by NASA p 111)

So not only do you have to explain earthquake and the resultant changes to the earth's rotation - but now you have to explain earthquake in terms of (El Nino)

You have cause and effect reversed here. Sometimes a picture is not worth a thousand words. Here are the words behind that picture: http://ntrs.nasa.gov..._1994032320.pdf. The authors are proposing, not claiming, a connection between major climate events such as ENSO (cause) and earthquakes (effect). Those climactic changes result in changes in the oceanic contribution to the Earth's angular momentum. Angular momentum is a conserved quantity. The changes in the oceanic angular momentum budget means that there must be a corresponding change in other portions of the Earth. Some, but not anywhere close to all, of the transferred angular momentum goes to / comes from the atmosphere. The only other component is the solid Earth. The authors are proposing that those major climactic shifts are in part responsible for an increase in the number of earthquakes.

The magnitude 8.8 Chile earthquake earlier this year changed the earth's rotation by about a microsecond a day, so claiming that all earthquakes change rotation by seconds is pure nonsense (anyone with a basic understanding of physics should know this doesn't pass the sniff test).

Not true

Very true. The supposed change in the Earth's rotation rate caused by that Chilean earthquake was very, very small. The claim of a 1.26 microsecond change in the length of day from that earthquake is a calculated result. It is far too small a change to be measurable.

let's start with insane_alien's claim that

the mechanism of how earthquakes change the rotational speed of the earth, its called angular momentum.

Your statement is clearly false, not insane_alien's. You appear to be conflating angular velocity with angular momentum. While there is a transfer of angular momentum to the Moon (see below), this is a very small amount compared to the Earth's total angular momentum. The Earth's total angular momentum is essentially constant over a short period of time, short here meaning several years.The primary cause of the daily, monthly, seasonal, yearly, and decadal changes in the Earth's rotation rate results from changes in the Earth's inertia tensor. Think of how a figure skater goes into an ever faster spin by pulling her arms in. Short term changes to the Earth's inertia tensor result in corresponding changes to the Earth's rotation rate.

Now that is a hoot. You are correct that angular momentum is slowly being transferred from the Earth to the Moon. The cause is not earthquakes however. It's tides.

Edited by D H

swansont

gf) True

The moon's orbit maintains an agreement with the laws of angular momentum. Momentum being conserved the system must obey the law we call Conservation of Angular Momentum. Hence, when (for what ever reason) the earth's rotation changes - the moon must respond with an altered orbit. This has been known since at least 350 B.C. The statement is structured in the charismatic manner common of that day

the moon and it's stately orbit, and how it does not leave that orbit and it adds nothing to it .. nor takes anything from it .. and it keeps faith .. in accordance with the oath by which it is bound

S. K. Runcorn was a British scientist who discovered remnant magnetism in the moon rock brought back by the Apollo astronauts. He wrote an article, "Corals as Paleontological Clocks," Scientific American, Vol. 215, No. 4, Pg. 26-33. October 1966. (offprint 871), Pg. 583. The essence of the article is as follows ::

The banding on certain corals revealed not only annual growth, but monthly, and daily growth as well. Ancient coral thus provided clues to changes in the earth's rate of rotation, and hence to the length of the year and the length of the day in past eras. British scientist John W. Wells (who started the investigation reported in 1963 that his count of the fine bands within the annual bands in several coral ranged between 385 and 410 and averaged 400.

In the article, S. K. Runcorn reminds us that with 400 days in a year, the earth would be rotating much faster than today, the moon, in compliance with the law of Conservation of Angular Momentum would have been much closer and would have appeared very large in the sky