Ball Bearing Magnetism?

rigney

Was questioning Google on the possibility of permanently magnetizing a "ball bearing"? Since this question isn't new, I searched through four or five pages of answers and never come across anything substantive, but did see some gimmicks. Can it be done? Never tried it, but I don't think so. Yet, with five hundred miles of molten iron at the core of our planet and it's polarized, "How"?

Edited by rigney

I'm not sure but I would think that ball bearings are not exactly made of the best metals for making magnets. I know you can indeed buy spherical magnets, not to mention about every other shape. If I was going to do it I'd make a very strong DC electromagnet and heat the ball bearing to red heat and let it cool inside the magnetic field.

In the Earth currents of molten metal create the electrical fields, it's not like a permanent magnet.

Ball bearings are made of a steel very good candidate to be permanently magnetized. Just do it. By rubbing with rare earth magnets or inside a coil.

And then attract plenty of magnetic particles into its races to self-destroy them.

What would be your intended use for such magnetic bearings ? Bunch of spherical magnets spinning in closed circles electrically conductive loops generating heat ? :confused:

I'm not sure but I would think that ball bearings are not exactly made of the best metals for making magnets. I know you can indeed buy spherical magnets, not to mention about every other shape. If I was going to do it I'd make a very strong DC electromagnet and heat the ball bearing to red heat and let it cool inside the magnetic field.

In the Earth currents of molten metal create the electrical fields, it's not like a permanent magnet.

If, after four and a half billion years of being a satellite to our sun; can't we get around to calling the earth permanent?

Edited by rigney

swansont (Shaken, not Stirred) Today, 4:24 AM #6

Physics Expert

ModeratorThe earth's magnetic field has changed orientation many times in its history, and we're overdue for another swapping of the poles.

Have you ever read a short narrative by Chan Thomas called: The Adam and Eve Story? Was in print some forty/fifty years ago. Quite interesting. The book!, Total conjecture or real? I don't know! But then, it did get us away from the initial question, which was probably a good thing. But can anyone supply me with an excerpt from something "legitimate", explaining how a clean "solitary steel ball bearing" can be magnetized.

Edited by rigney

I have tried to magnetize a ball bearing to no effect.

I'm sure it can be done, but even if it is done it probably isn't the way i wanted it.

When i tried to do such, i was looking for a (-) charge on the outside walls of the bearing and the opposite on the inside. Not sure if you can do that because the field lines would have to never exit the material to go from positive to negative.

If you ever are able to magnetize a ball bearing, you will probably end up with field lines that resemble the earths.

Thanks Zolar V. I was hoping someone would come up with a valid answer, but then, it did get away from the original question. Now, if someone can give me a good, "I think So"; and explain it, I'll be happy?