i shot my self in the foot (kinda graphic pics)

rogerxd45

(i originally posted this on a gun forum i go to alot but i figured some of you in the medican field might want to see it also....so some of the stuff might only make sense to people involved in shooting) but if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask

also i think the mods might have to approve the pics first but if thats the case you can view them on the forum i originally posted them on. you do NOT have to sign up for anything to view

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/151482-well-crap-i-shot-myself-foot-not-too-graphic.html

ok so i was shooting my walther p22 and i went to de-cock it by holding the hammer and pulling the trigger and then slowly letting the hammer down.

well you can guess what happened next.... the hammer slipped and the gun happened to be aimed towards my foot. (i broke the rule about aining the gun in a safe directions.)

so the bullet went through and through and there wasnt any fragments of bullets thankfully.

But the bullet did break a bone, im not sure which one, but im going to an orthopedic surgeon on monday to see what needs to be done. Im happing they wont have to go in to fix the bone. hopfully it will be able to heal on its own..

the bullet went all the way through my foot and my shoe (which has pretty think soles. im supprised that cheap remington bulk pack has that much power comming from a 3.4" barrel

yes I am VERY VERY stupid... we can all agree on that, so please no (your a ^#@@ idiot) comments.....i already know i am

well enjoy the pictures and i will try to post a pic every day to shot the healing process.

so be safe and dont de-cock a gun by releasing the hammer and slowly bringing it forward, ALWAYS UNLOAD GUNS THE CORRECT WAY

i became complacent and i got hurt, but thankfully no one else did

DSC_5086.jpg

DSC_5088.jpg

DSC_5085.jpg

Looks like the bullet went in near the third toe and out near the second toe. I suspect there is some metatarsal bone damage if not damage to the phalanges. An X-ray would clear up any bone damage issues real quick. A general rule is that if you can walk around without immense, debilitating pain, you haven't broken anything. That's a general rule, but not a clear-cut rule. Get an X-ray.

As such, we aren't suppose to give medical advice here, but I think you should look into getting some antibiotics and getting checked for possible lead poisoning.

I've touched and felt dead bodies while studying anatomy, as most anatomy students have to do. Seeing a picture of a live person's foot is not going to traumatize me.

Edited by Genecks

I AM NOT ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE...just to clear that up, i just wanted to share my story

oh ive went to the ER, I broke one bone but i didnt get the to see the xray

i am taking Keflex(Cephalexin) 250mg every 6 hours to hopfully prevent an infection

I can walk but only on the heel for a short distance, but i cant move my middle toe at all, when i try it hurts worse then the actual gunshot did. but as hard as i try it just wont move

and the Dr did say something is broken im just not sure which one. but i will update when i find out

my geuss is it broke the base of the middle toe or the joint/bone behind it. (sorry dont know the names of the bones.

but looking at it i can tell the bullet probably deflected off that bone since the angle the the bullet bath isnt srait.

they refered me to an orthopedic surgeon that i will see on Monday, to find out the extent of the damage and if they need to fix anything, but im hopping it just cracked that toe so we can let it heal on its own. instead of having a pin put in.

but they said they didnt see any lead fragments from the bullet but i will make sure to get a second opinion just to make sure.

the funniest part was when they were irigating the wound (since it went through my shoe and probably brought a bunch of junk in the wound)

well when she was doing the exit wound the water was squirting right through the entry hole....and it wasnt a dribble it was like a squirt gun....lol

but whn i get a copy of the xray i will post it here also

I do hope you actually know how to properly handle a weapon now. You can be complacent with anything...really.. but a gun.

I'm wondering what would happen if your complacentness would've been while aiming the weapon not at your foot, but at someone else's foot. Or at someone else's window. Accidentally. A different kind of "oops", isn't it.

I do hope you actually know how to properly handle a weapon now. You can be complacent with anything...really.. but a gun.

I'm wondering what would happen if your complacentness would've been while aiming the weapon not at your foot, but at someone else's foot. Or at someone else's window. Accidentally. A different kind of "oops", isn't it.

well first off i wasnt aiming at my foot.... i was walking and had it aimed at the ground and when the hammer slipped i must have flinched causing it to aim at my foot. either way i was complacent and negligent. i broke a major gun safety rule.

but dispite the pain im glad i did because now i KNOW it will not happen again

here is a day two picture.... and BTW it hurts a TON more then it did yesterday

day21.jpg

well first off i wasnt aiming at my foot.... i was walking and had it aimed at the ground and when the hammer slipped i must have flinched causing it to aim at my foot. either way i was complacent and negligent. i broke a major gun safety rule.

but dispite the pain im glad i did because now i KNOW it will not happen again

Can you please stop posting these humongous feet-photos? We got the picture. Literally. Thank you.

It hurts, it's bumpy, you got lucky it's a 22 and not something MUCH MUCH worse. Trust me, I, unfortunately, had the displeasure of seeing what happens with worse caliber guns, and not necessarily self-inflicted.

The fact you were *walking* is even worse. If this happened, I am not sure I trust that you even know - or was too well aware - where the gun was pointing while you tried to decock it unsafely. With the safety off.

You broke gun safety rules. More than one. I can think of at least three off the top of my head. Unlike any gadget, breaking safety rules with a gun can lead to *OTHER* people getting hurt, hence my absolute and relentless lack of sympathy to you.

I do hope, at the very least, that you learned something from this, and that if you insist on using a gun you don't know how to operate again, then, at least, you do it while having no one around you in a mile radius.

I'm not sure what you expect to get in the forum, though. Medically speaking, you need to see a medical doctor. I wouldn't be stressing myself too bad, I've seen cuts that were worse than this little needle prick. You should see a doctor, and you should take care of the foot so the wound isn't infected.

If you intend on posting any more humongous picture of your feet, I would also recommend a shave, a pedicure, and a hot foot-bath.

Good luck.

~moo

Can you please stop posting these humongous feet-photos? We got the picture. Literally. Thank you.

It hurts, it's bumpy, you got lucky it's a 22 and not something MUCH MUCH worse. Trust me, I, unfortunately, had the displeasure of seeing what happens with worse caliber guns, and not necessarily self-inflicted.

The fact you were *walking* is even worse. If this happened, I am not sure I trust that you even know - or was too well aware - where the gun was pointing while you tried to decock it unsafely. With the safety off.

You broke gun safety rules. More than one. I can think of at least three off the top of my head. Unlike any gadget, breaking safety rules with a gun can lead to *OTHER* people getting hurt, hence my absolute and relentless lack of sympathy to you.

I do hope, at the very least, that you learned something from this, and that if you insist on using a gun you don't know how to operate again, then, at least, you do it while having no one around you in a mile radius.

I'm not sure what you expect to get in the forum, though. Medically speaking, you need to see a medical doctor. I wouldn't be stressing myself too bad, I've seen cuts that were worse than this little needle prick. You should see a doctor, and you should take care of the foot so the wound isn't infected.

If you intend on posting any more humongous picture of your feet, I would also recommend a shave, a pedicure, and a hot foot-bath.

Good luck.

~moo

yes i broke ALL the gun rules..... the beauty of the gun rules is if you follow even just one no one should get hurt.

secondly im not looking for sympathy, i made a stupid mistake that could have gotten someone hurt or killed.

i got my first hangun 12 years ago and have been through severl safety classes.... i just got complacent, and thats my fault and no one elses.

and the reason i am posting pictures as the wound progresses is that im sure despite my ugly feet might learn something as to how a wound progresses and heals.

i have seen a doc and i go to see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to see what needs to be done to repair the broken bone/

like i said i dont want sympathy, i dont need telling people made a mistake that could have killed someone... i know all that.

i just want to show those interested the progression of the wound.

since most people dont get the chance to see a day by day of a gun shot wound

and the reason i am posting pictures as the wound progresses is that im sure despite my ugly feet might learn something as to how a wound progresses and heals.

Make a youtube video. It might actually go viral.

Actually, with today's apparent youtube taste, I bet it would go viral. You should put a link to us, I might decide I like you. :cool:

i have seen a doc and i go to see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to see what needs to be done to repair the broken bone/

like i said i dont want sympathy, i dont need telling people made a mistake that could have killed someone... i know all that.

i just want to show those interested the progression of the wound.

since most people dont get the chance to see a day by day of a gun shot wound

Though that is technically a 'gun shot wound', it's not REALLY a gun shot wound in the sense most people think of when they hear.. "gun shot wound". Those are much worse. A '22 is pretty tiny, I have to say, you're really lucky it was just that. A higher caliber could've taken your finger clean off, plus more, probably.

In any case, if you're already taking daily photos in the interest of science, then let's make this properly. Try to take the pictures on the same angle/distance each day (replicate the picture *as much as you can). We won't be able to see day to day changes in the pictures you post, but if you're into watching wounds heal (which could be interesting), you should make it into a video eventually. In order for it to look good (and teach us something about anatomy... and.. look cool...) you should try and get the pictures to look like one another, as much as you can.

That could be interesting, actually, regardless of the circumstances which led to this unfortunate probably painful incident.

~moo

Forget the healing process. I want to see you squirt water through your foot.

As far as being a risk taker goes, this is the best thing that could happen to you. The same is true with your first wreck that does no permanent physical damage, (The psychological damage turns out to be very valuable).

My Dad used to call it getting a "practical education." A quick glance into epistimology, will show you there is a vast difference between symbolic knowledge gained in a class and spatial behavior learned by experience.

Among my research papers in education, one argued that you can't teach behavior, (using the traditional understanding of teaching). Knowledge is gained by learning via letters/words/symbols. Behavior must be inspired.

Your knowledge didn't prevent complacency, so by shooting your foot, you've inspired yourself. Ha. By posting them online, you're inspiring us. Our behavior will be modified by the pictures far more than by the words criticizing your actions.

Good show, Roger. It's probably not too late to squirt water through it. What's the worst that can happen?

That's generally how it works. Inflammation takes a while to build up. Just be glad that the doctors did stuff to prevent an infection.

funny you guys mention the water squirting through.

at the ER they had to irrigate the wound and when they went to do the bottom i felt some water on the top of my foot.

the nurse said it probably just went in between your toes. well the next squirt she looked and sure enough it was going right through the hole. and then she laughed at me....well i was also. she apologized for laughing (it didnt bother me one bit, i thought it was funny also)

she said she had never seen that happen before and asked if it was ok if she brought a couple people in to see it. so a couple nurses and 2 docs watched as she squirted water out of my foot.

and it wasnt like a little dribble it was a stream.... just like if ou fill a syringe with water and remove the needle.

but i didnt have my cell phone so i wasnt able to take a video .

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Make a youtube video. It might actually go viral.

Actually, with today's apparent youtube taste, I bet it would go viral. You should put a link to us, I might decide I like you. :cool:

Though that is technically a 'gun shot wound', it's not REALLY a gun shot wound in the sense most people think of when they hear.. "gun shot wound". Those are much worse. A '22 is pretty tiny, I have to say, you're really lucky it was just that. A higher caliber could've taken your finger clean off, plus more, probably.

In any case, if you're already taking daily photos in the interest of science, then let's make this properly. Try to take the pictures on the same angle/distance each day (replicate the picture *as much as you can). We won't be able to see day to day changes in the pictures you post, but if you're into watching wounds heal (which could be interesting), you should make it into a video eventually. In order for it to look good (and teach us something about anatomy... and.. look cool...) you should try and get the pictures to look like one another, as much as you can.

That could be interesting, actually, regardless of the circumstances which led to this unfortunate probably painful incident.

~moo

ok well for todays picture i set it up so i can keep the pics as similar as possible so i can make a video when im done.

thanks for the advice....seeing a time lapse will be a lot more interesting then just pictures

You got ugly feet dude, i have to ask, as has everyone else you come in contact with i am sure, what were you thinking! Guns and automobiles, two deadly things people take for granted and believe only they can operate them safely. De-cocking a loaded gun while you are walking, oh yes great idea for sure.

I give you points for allowing others to use you as a bad example, most people wouldn't be willing to admit to a mistake like this one, much less allow others to learn from it too, so go the extra step dude, never do this or anything else foolish with a gun again! Get a gun with a de-cocker! I am glad you didn't do anymore damage but please use this as learning experience!

I don't know what these women are worked up about. It's a mere flesh wound, Roger, and I think your feet are "dead sexy!" Posting the pictures so we can track the healing process is a very cool idea. You might consider shooting the other foot so you won't walk with a limp.

I don't know what these women are worked up about. It's a mere flesh wound, Roger, and I think your feet are "dead sexy!" Posting the pictures so we can track the healing process is a very cool idea. You might consider shooting the other foot so you won't walk with a limp.

thank you! i am continuing to take pics but im going to wait and do a video instead of posting daily pics.

well went to the doc today

took another xray and the bone has actually more damaged then the day it happened. so i have to be on crutches for 2 weeks and will go in for another xray to see how its healing.

even though it was just a 22lr out of a pistol they said i was very lucky to have as little damage as i do. its a good thing the hollow point didnt cause it to mushroom or the bullet didnt tumble

i have lost feeling to the top of my toe but they arent sure if its going to be permanent

even though it was just a 22lr out of a pistol they said i was very lucky to have as little damage as i do. its a good thing the hollow point didnt cause it to mushroom or the bullet didnt tumble

I guess a hollow point must not be such a bad thing to shoot yourself with. Without some distance, it doesn't have time to fill with air, right? And its slightly lighter. Why were you shooting hollow points though?

........, what were you thinking! Guns and automobiles, two deadly things people take for granted and believe only they can operate them safely. De-cocking a loaded gun while you are walking, oh yes great idea for sure.

Here in chile we have a popular saying that recalls "fire weapons are always charged by the devil himself". >:D.

Strange and annoying things happen with their manipulation.

Good luck with your foot, rogerxd45, my friend.:)

I guess a hollow point must not be such a bad thing to shoot yourself with. Without some distance, it doesn't have time to fill with air, right? And its slightly lighter. Why were you shooting hollow points though?

Fill with air? I didn't think air was the point of hollow points.

About the bullet filling with air, I"m baffled. Surely, air doesn't spread them. Why didn't the bullet mushroom? Was it defective? Maybe not enough resistance?

Take it back to guy who sold it to you, and demand a refund. He'll get a kick out of that.

Edited by emcelhannon
unclear

About the bullet filling with air, I"m baffled. Surely, air doesn't spread them. Why didn't the bullet mushroom? Was it defective? Maybe not enough resistance?

Take it back to guy who sold it to you, and demand a refund. He'll get a kick out of that.

I seem to remember reading that .22 hollowpoints often don't mushroom simply because they're so small. But I may be completely wrong on that.

Fill with air? I didn't think air was the point of hollow points.

you are correct they need water or some similar liquid and since liquids dont compress it forces the bullet to mushroom out.

but 22lr hollow points suck, they usually dont expand much if at all. the hole is just too small

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I seem to remember reading that .22 hollowpoints often don't mushroom simply because they're so small. But I may be completely wrong on that.

nope you are right. in most ballistic gel tests they dont expand. and if they do it is very little.