i shot my self in the foot (kinda graphic pics)

rogerxd45

Fill with air? I didn't think air was the point of hollow points.

LOL it's not. Though he was fortunate that he shot himself in such a thin area; the round didn't have much of an opportunty to expand.

LOL it's not. Though he was fortunate that he shot himself in such a thin area; the round didn't have much of an opportunty to expand.

well that and the fact 22 hollow points suck at expanding

this link below has lots of 22 ammo tested against ballistic gel

they even have one where they test using the same gun i did but i didnt see the exact ammo i used

http://www.brassfetcher.com/22LR.html

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

heres the link to the tests of 22lr ammo out of the same gun i used

http://www.brassfetcher.com/WaltherP22test.html

none of them expanded

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

plus mine went through a shoe first witch probably clogged the hollow point and thus preventing expansion. and the short distance it went through (like an 1" of flesh tops) it also hit a bone that could have pinched the hole shut.

plus i dont even know if it did expand since i couldnt find the bullet. but since the exit wound is only.25" i dont think it did

Well that's what I get for trying to recall information from when I was a kid. I had thought that the air would be compressed and cause a miniature explosion when released (in addition to the bullet itself mushrooming) but looking it up now that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. I have heard that some of the high velocity hollow points can fragment in the air, and I'd imagine these would have a significant amount of compressed air in them.

Well that's what I get for trying to recall information from when I was a kid. I had thought that the air would be compressed and cause a miniature explosion when released (in addition to the bullet itself mushrooming) but looking it up now that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. I have heard that some of the high velocity hollow points can fragment in the air, and I'd imagine these would have a significant amount of compressed air in them.

the only time ive heard of that happening is because of a mix between a fast twist and speed. at the muzzle some bullets are going 300,000 RPM and if the bullet has a thin jacket it can literally tear itself apart.

but i have never heard of a bullet mushrooming mid flight because of the air

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...