Science Fiction

-Demosthenes-

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I just finished the Ender's series, and I decided to read one of Asimov books because I thought it would be interesting, so I picked one "the positronic man", and it was way cool! I want to read more books like that, does anyone have any suggestions??

Nice...did you read the books on Beans too? I liked those better than the Ender books.

If you like Asimov, try the Foundation & the Robot series. Start with one of the trilogies (I think the Robots start with Caves of Steel), then read the other. Then there are books in between that bridge the two series. I may be in the minority here, but I loved the way he brought the two together.

I read the hobbit and the lord of the rings a while ago... I thought it was the best fantasy book I had ever read but then I read some books by other writers and realized the lord of the rings wasn’t all that great.

If you’re looking for fantasy I would recommend the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. I would definitely say its better than the lord of the rings. It’s also written in this time period so the book is in modern English. The scale is much larger and one of the most admirable things about the book is there is no good or bad guy. The series spans generations so people die. It’s not like Spiderman where you know the hero will turn out OK in the end. People die. Although, if you have problem with depression and the likes I wouldn’t recommend it.

If you’re looking for fantasy I would recommend the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.
This is George R. R. Martin. I agree, really top notch fantasy. I also like Terry Goodkind for fantasy. His first five or six books, starting with Wizard's First Rule, are fantastic. He starts to get repetitive, though, and he needs something to spice things up in the future of this series. As far as I know, he's only written for this one series, but it's a righteous read.

Although I've not finished it yet (just reading the last part) I'd have to recommend 'Stranger in a Strange Land' by Robert A. Heinlein, if you haven't read it yet. It's generally considered to be the best science fiction novel ever written, and one of the most controversial. It was also the longest SF novel at the time, and goes very in depth about psychology, politics, religion, ethics, and so forth. It doesn't go so much into science (perhaps a good thing since it was written in 1961, and talks about life and a breathable atmosphere on Mars) but it does include some detailed description of alien psychology (notably the Martians) and the impact caused by a mix of their way of thinking and that of humans.

What's pastwatch? You might not like memory of earth because its all metaphor of a religious book, Cause Orson is a Mormon (a sect of christianity, tho several other denominations reject it as being christian at all). He does a good job of not being a religious retard, really though true Mormonism is perfectly accepting of science, just most mormon zealots don't understand it it. At least one of our Prophets (thats what we call the leader of our church) admitted to believing in evolution and all. Oh yeah, i am also a Mormon by birth. Currently i'm heading in the direction of Hinduism though, not that i reject my birth religion, for theres many concepts of it I deeply believe, more i'm just extending my spiritual journey, a, thing.

I've read Enders Game, Ender Shadow, and am currently finishing Speaker for the Dead (Ender just spoke Marcao's death). One of my friends claims Speaker is a different writing style than Enders Game and doesn't like it, but i really love it, its a great book. Eventually i'll get through the other books in the series.