The site changes thread

Ok, Sayo. If I ever get onto the site but am a guest and don't want to log in, I use the "today's posts" link at the top of the page. Can that be made to pull up only today's posts instead of today's posts and some of yesterdays?

When I'm logged in, can the "new posts" link display thread from the debate forum because I think I have accidentaly missed budellewragh's opening post and ecceded my time for replying. (By the way, as soon as I get any time I'm going to try and respond to that).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Sayo. If I ever get onto the site but am a guest and don't want to log in, I use the "today's posts" link at the top of the page. Can that be made to pull up only today's posts instead of today's posts and some of yesterdays?

I believe "today" is defined as "the last 24-hours", but it can be changed pretty easily I'm sure.

When I'm logged in, can the "new posts" link display thread from the debate forum because I think I have accidentaly missed budellewragh's opening post and ecceded my time for replying. (By the way, as soon as I get any time I'm going to try and respond to that).

I don't know why it's not, that's strange. Regardless, I'll look into both issues this weekend.

I can tell you that the debate forum did appear once, blike. I remember because Sayo went in and made a ton of new threads and they took up half a page of my "new posts" search. But the subjects for those are very big and bold, I don't think I would have missed it twice: once when it was made and once when budellewragh posted in it. Also, there have been several replys to challenges I don't ever remember seeing.

If you "mark all forums read" while there are posts in the validation queue, the ones in the queue are marked as read too. This is a bug in vB that they have been asked to fix more times than I care to remember.

That's stupid. It doesn't make the least bit of sense. Oh well, thanks for the reply. I'll just check that forum the old way.

I just switched to FireFox, and Ive noticed that to the left of the address of the site (in the address box), there's a little icon. (www.ebaumsworld.com[/url'] has the dancing banana icon). Why not have one here? Like an atom or something sciency? :)

If you had scrolled up half the page you would have noticed I had already suggested that.

I suggest that we shake up the physics forum categories a little. At the moment there is a lot of overlap, so the same questions tend to pop up in different fora.

At the mo', we have:

Classical Mechanics

Vector forces, gravity, acceleration, and other facets of mechanics

Quantum Mechanics

Elementary particle physics and related topics Quantum Gravity

Relativity black holes and GR

Modern/Theoretical Physics

Atomic structure, nuclear physics, etc neutrons

Astronomy and Cosmology

Topics related to observation of space

I particluarly object to discussing particle physics under the heading quantum mechanics. I would suggest:

Classical Physics

Special and General Relativity

Astrophysics and Cosmology

Quantum Gravity (LQG and string theory)

Elementary Particle Physics

Atomic and nuclear physics

Classical Physics is better than Classical Mechanics, because people may want to discuss topics in classical physics which they don't regard as mechanical. Quantum mech will naturally fall into particle physics, and particle physics will have a well defined place rather than always falling between 'Quantum mechanics' and 'Modern/theoretical physics'. You will also keep Martin happy with the new section on Quantum Gravity. If you think that is too many, you could consider having relativity in the Astro section as 'Astrophysics, Cosmology and Relativity'.

This is maybe too much work of course, but I thought I would input my 2c....