why no mating season in human?

Leison

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's part of the reproductive "strategy" that humans adopted, and there are a lot of factors. The male can't tell if the female is in heat (concealed ovulation in the female), so (all else being euqal) he's less likely to go running around, looking for other females to impregnate. Were he to do that, some other male might impregnate his mate, and he'd expend effort raising someone else's offspring.

The female invests a lot in each offspring, so anything that keeps the father around to help improves survival chances.

Also consider that once you have an organism where the children can't fend for themselves right away, or at least soon after birth, then what time of year they are born matters less than e.g. if they need to be a certain size in order to survive the winter.

ye yt2095, what d'u mean...

in answer to the original question, its coz human babies dont need to be born at a certain time, like when its hot, or before the winter [same thing!] or for fish and whales, they dont need to be born in shallow or warm water....

humans can be born anywhere, and they [or the parents] can adapt the environment to suit the baby, plus, for a human, food [generaly] is not a problem in obtaining.

Sex system in humans is part of their social system.

Like Swansont said, it is due to our evolution as h. sapiens that our mating seasons are not as pronounced as it is in other species. Greater apes also show some very interesting sexual behavior, and as I've mentioned it here once(forgot what thread that was in), but Bonobo's are much like humans when it comes to sex. That reason alone makes then a bit more diverged then some of the other apes, however strange as it is, it(their sexual system) alone does not make then more closely related to us.

Here are some more reads for those interested:

Bonobo Apes

Primate Males

ok, when is the mating season? wait, let me guess...spring.

I do believe that there were some studies into this and yes, it is spring.

Also, most physicians advice against or at least warn that if the child is born during the winter, that there is a higher chance of experience some complications, either to the mother or the offspring.

The male can't tell if the female is in heat (concealed ovulation in the female)' date=' ....

.[/quote']

And my question would be why humam males lost the ability to check the hot females (females in heat)? whereas the males from other species (iguanas, horses etc) can check the hot human females.

we have a maiting season :3 days a month

"mating season" means the specific season/time where mating occurs uniformly. every individual is ready for it..

u said 3 days a month .but it depend upon individuals. does at this very days mating take place to every humans? certainly not . so it cannot be term as "mating season".

OH MY GOD, I'm so sure this is evolutionary change (lack of mating "season") is due to men.

This is the official answer, and I will bet ANYONE that it's also the scientific one! :P

Anyways I completely agree - We don't live in the wild anymore, we don't have natural mating seasons for that matter. Though, someone once told me that winter and spring are these.. "special" times...

Ha.. probly no sports on tv at those seasons.

Muaha ;)

~moo

And my question would be why humam males lost the ability to check the hot females (females in heat)? whereas the males from other species (iguanas, horses etc) can check the hot human females.

The females stopped showing specific signs, not that the males lost the ability to check. Given the monagamous strategy and the investment in each child, it's not surprising that such traits would be selected.

The females stopped showing specific signs, not that the males lost the ability to check.

i dont think that the females have stopped showing signs. the males from other species can differentiate the human females in heat. that's why i said human males have lost the detecting skills.

i dont think that the females have stopped showing signs. the males from other species can differentiate the human females in heat. that's why i said human males have lost the detecting skills.

That doesn't matter. The sexes evolved together, so which one lost or gained which ability is unimportant, as long as the sum of their traits results in men not being able to tell. I'm sure it's a combination of females' ovulation becoming more concealed (certainly not completely), and males losing some of their ability to detect it.

Look at the kinds of signs exhibited by chimpanzees and some other primates (e.g. genitalia swelling and turning red). The changes simply aren't present like that in humans.

You can argue that they never were present in our remote ancestors either, but that's still not the same as males losing the ability to tell. I think you'd lose that argument anyway, because there are some signs that are always be present - e.g. more prominent breasts and buttocks, that simulate the estrus swelling - that give an "always ready" sign to the males, even when she's not able to conceive.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't lost my ability to see those signs.

i think u agreed with me that females haven't stopped showing the signs.

I can't speak for anyone else' date=' but I haven't lost my ability to see those signs.[/quote']

yr words above clearly indicates that u again agree that the males have lost the ability to check the signs.