why no mating season in human?

Leison

A) is the human race ahead of other species? are we the most world dominant, advanced specie?

With regards to what?

Certainly we aren't better adapted at everything.

B) do we have a mating season?

As I have already said several times, we do appear to have - at the very least - a partially effected mating season.

whatever you answer to that, i have a suitable conclusion which i will share, once you've answered.

In other words, you're just making generalisations instead of applying any actual biology. Good luck.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In other words, you're just making generalisations instead of applying any actual biology. Good luck.

thnx mate, your my bestest friend! (and i know you are about to say that it is true.)

Certainly we aren't better adapted at everything.

in which case, although there could be room for improvement, what we do at the moment is sufficient for us to survive...

As I have already said several times, we do appear to have - at the very least - a partially effected mating season.

and this is one of the techniques that humans have developed over the years. it is only a mental thing about having a mating season, .i.e. although we dont have a strict mating season, humans have a prefernce as to when they have children, i assume, is what you mean.

so we have a mental mating season? not a strict one, as do animals? is that what you think?

(i know people born in every month of the year, therefore we cannot have a strict mating season, as do animals, where by all babies are born within a few days, possibly weeks of each other)

in which case, although there could be room for improvement, what we do at the moment is sufficient for us to survive...

What has that got to do with this thread? And doesn't it directly contradict the idea that we are the "superior species"?

and this is one of the techniques that humans have developed over the years. it is only a mental thing about having a mating season, .i.e. although we dont have a strict mating season, humans have a prefernce as to when they have children, i assume, is what you mean.

Would you care to show evidence for any of that?

I don't know why you'd assume that is what I meant when there are plenty of better reasons, many of which surround the fact that in humans there are a great deal more non-procreative (usually accidental) conceptions than there are in animals.

so we have a mental mating season? not a strict one, as do animals? is that what you think?

I have made the observation that human births do not occur with uniform distribution throughout the year, and therefore mating does not either. I have not suggested what the cause might be and I don't really plan to do so.

I would suggest though that if you want to find the reason, you might do well to consult some peer-reviewed research on the matter instead of making wild guesses and coming up with your own terms for things.

What has that got to do with this thread? And doesn't it directly contradict the idea that we are the "superior species"?

if i hadnt have said that, then you would have told me, no one is perfect, theres room for improvement in everything.

I don't know why you'd assume that is what I meant when there are plenty of better reasons, many of which surround the fact that in humans there are a great deal more non-procreative (usually accidental) conceptions than there are in animals.

if i hadnt have said how we have a "mental mating season" you would have repeated the fact that human childbirth is not uniform and equal throghout the year.

I have made the observation that human births do not occur with uniform distribution throughout the year, and therefore mating does not either. I have not suggested what the cause might be and I don't really plan to do so.

but you go and repeat it anyway... i was suggesting the idea, not you, thats why i said it and you didnt! so that was a pointless sentence.

everything i say, you argue with, everything, you really are argumentative, every point i make, you have to quote and argue back, but even if i had have said the opposite, you still would have argued, when i change my point of view, you still argue, can you not analyse and argue every point i ever make, and can you stop deleting my posts. [qantum entaglement and jokes section]

About this thread:

i think that humans do not have a mating season, regardless of the fact that there might not be equal child birth throughout the whole year.

so are we friends just having arguments because we believe in different things? or are we just deliberately attacking each other?

hopefully, friends having an argument, because of our different opinions,

so i ask you... whats your position in this debate?

i think that humans do not have a mating season, regardless of the fact that there might not be equal child birth throughout the whole year.

and in answer to the original question, of why there is no mating season i say, because there is no need for one, due to our ability to change our environment, to suit the young.

so are we friends just having arguments because we believe in different things? or are we just deliberately attacking each other?

Ask yourself whether I am attacking you or the things you are saying.

and in answer to the original question, of why there is no mating season i say, because there is no need for one, due to our ability to change our environment, to suit the young.

Yet still nobody has demonstrated the link between the alleged cause and effect.

Yet still nobody has demonstrated the link between the alleged cause and effect.

Which will be tough, since (as I tried to say before) you remove the alleged causes and the alleged effect is still there.

But I don't agree that seasonal variation in birth rates is the same as a mating season. It could easily be e.g. just nothing better to do on a long winter night. (Or nothing good on TV in the present) Women are, in principle, receptive to sex and able to conceive year 'round. That means (to me) to be the same as "no mating season."

But I don't agree that seasonal variation in birth rates is the same as a mating season. It could easily be e.g. just nothing better to do on a long winter night. (Or nothing good on TV in the present) Women are, in principle, receptive to sex and able to conceive year 'round. That means (to me) to be the same as "no mating season."

But is it?

Mating season is essentially a perfect description - it is the season in which mating occurs. It does not mean that mating outside of that season would be medically fruitless, simply that the behaviour is not there.

The question is then one of definition - what percentage of the population must be conceived in the identified season in order for it to be considered a breeding period?

But is it?

Mating season is essentially a perfect description - it is the season in which mating occurs. It does not mean that mating outside of that season would be medically fruitless' date=' simply that the behaviour is not there.

The question is then one of definition - what percentage of the population must be conceived in the identified season in order for it to be considered a breeding period?[/quote']

You keep talking about 'season' how are you so sure it's related to a season??

and not for example that people have a breeding mondth.

so first start to analyse the causes of a not flat graph and then we can or can't attach it to something like season.

I think it's logical due to the higher temps there will be less clothing --> more primitieve chemics doing there job if we like it or not.

so people that 'let there feelings/chemics run' will most likely have sex during a warmer season.

interesting would be to compare it to a cold or warm place (always cold, always hot) also the duration of day/night etc.

Just a few of my thoughts

So 'season' is just a period of time here in this thread, OK

maybe we shouldn't use that word since we also try to figure out if it's related to a season, this can ony lead to confusion.

'mating period' would be a better.

it MIGHT even have something to do with Moon Phases also' date=' and not actualy a season per se.

just a thought :)[/quote']

You'd have to come up with some evidence. Every instance of human behavior purported to be influenced by the phase of the moon of which I am aware has been thoroughly debunked, with the possible exception of activities for which a moonlit or moonless night (e.g. burglery) is a direct requirement.

Mating season is essentially a perfect description - it is the season in which mating occurs. It does not mean that mating outside of that season would be medically fruitless' date=' simply that the behaviour is not there.

The question is then one of definition - what percentage of the population must be conceived in the identified season in order for it to be considered a breeding period?[/quote']

If the behavior is "not there," then I'd expect there to be fewer births - ideally zero, but a few standard deviations below average would do, assuming it was a gaussian distribition. But I'll bet it's not even close to being gaussian. I'd be surprised if the monthly fluctuation was larger than ~10-15% from the average.

I found stats for the US from 1995, from the Monthly statistics report Vol. 45, No. 11, Supplement, from the CDC:

from Table 12:

Total .....................3,899,589

January ....................316,013

February ...................295,094

March .......................328,503

April .........................309,119

May ..........................334,543

June ..........................329,805

July ...........................340,873

August .......................350,737

September .................339,103

October .....................330,012

November ..................310,817

December ..................314,970

I don't see anything that suggests a mating season.

You'd have to come up with some evidence. Every instance of human behavior purported to be influenced by the phase of the moon of which I am aware has been thoroughly debunked, with the possible exception of activities for which a moonlit or moonless night (e.g. burglery) is a direct requirement.

I agree entirely, the point was that it MAY NOT be a season exactly, and that for all we know it COULD be rellated to moon phases or Solar Flares on the 11 year cycle, the fact that there doesn`t seem to be a "Season" (as in 4 each year) doesn`t mean that it may not run on A cycle of some sort, and it could also mean that there IS NO cycle.

nothing more, or less than that :)

I found stats for the US from 1995' date=' from the Monthly statistics report Vol. 45, No. 11, Supplement, from the CDC:

I don't see anything that suggests a mating season.[/quote']

A plot of those results shows a trend line that backs up what I said. I'm not completely happy using results from just one year, but there you go. If I can get myself geared up I'll do some proper pop analysis on the numbers.

Obviously this is not the same as what we'd call 'mating season' in, say, sheep, but it does indicate that the people who were yammering on about humans being all cosy and special and free from the effects of our habitats are just plain wrong.

population.gif