Jesus, Interrupted

ydoaPs

I found this book really fascinating(I finished it in one day), probably because I've never been exposed to the information before. I was raised in a Baptist household, so I wasn't really exposed to the mainstream scholarship such as what was presented in this book. However, it really makes sense.

Just thinking about what the Bible is makes it completely obvious, imo. The Bible isn't an inerrant book written by God; It's an anthology written by several anonymous authors from different parts of the world to different audiences. They didn't write their books with the intent that they be compiled into a holy anthology.

It should be obvious that each book be read for its own merits instead of trying to mishmash them into one.

What do you think of the book(and/or the scholarship within)?

I found this book really fascinating(I finished it in one day), probably because I've never been exposed to the information before. I was raised in a Baptist household, so I wasn't really exposed to the mainstream scholarship such as what was presented in this book. However, it really makes sense.

Just thinking about what the Bible is makes it completely obvious, imo. The Bible isn't an inerrant book written by God; It's an anthology written by several anonymous authors from different parts of the world to different audiences. They didn't write their books with the intent that they be compiled into a holy anthology.

It should be obvious that each book be read for its own merits instead of trying to mishmash them into one.

What do you think of the book(and/or the scholarship within)?

Reply: This is the first I have heard of it. Never the less I am Not sure if I understand you correctly. I would agree that it was a compilation or anthology written by many different authors over a long period of time. Especially the Old Testament. Not only that,it has been subjected to numerous reinterpretations over this long time period. Does this book agree with that ? You seem to suggest that it does, or am I misunderstanding what you are saying ? Regards, Dr.Syntax

I have not read the book either. But am I right in thinking the claim is that the Old Testament is based on true events?

If so I agree with that. Of course history becomes entangled with myth & legend, as well as the time lines and scales becoming dubious.

This is the first I have heard of it.

You may want to check it out, then. It's a best-seller so it is likely that your local library will have it.

I have not read the book either. But am I right in thinking the claim is that the Old Testament is based on true events?

If so I agree with that. Of course history becomes entangled with myth & legend, as well as the time lines and scales becoming dubious.

No, it doesn't really deal with the veracity of the events at all. It is more about the historical-critical method vs the devotional method and how much of the meaning is lost in the devotional method.

Cool, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the reference, ydoaPs. ;)

If you like it, you should try one of his other books(Misquoting Jesus) as well. Don't be alarmed by any of the subtitles of his books, though. They are intentionally provocative.

I haven't read the newest book, but I did read Misquoting Jesus last year. I had knowledge of the ideas before -- the mistakes in the current versions of the Bible -- but never had any specific examples. I am sure that there is a significant portion of the population that will rationalize away the points made, but they are valuable for anyone who wants to be a little more objective about the text.

I am also currently reading another good one, The Historical Jesus, that is a review of all the historical knowledge that can be assembled about Jesus. Not just the Bible as a historical document, but all the Jewish and Roman and other historical documents that have survived. The interesting part of this book is just how strongly a purely religious point of view has colored the study of the history of Jesus for so long. Not the teaching of Jesus, but for a very long time even the noted historians who studied Jesus were clearly slanted with a religious perspective.

I think that recently (15 or so years) there has been a wealth of good books presenting a more historical and objective view of the Bible and Christianity. There have been some good recent publications of non-canon Gospels, including the recent publication of The Gospel of Thomas and the lengthy historical discussion that accompanied it. I also think that it is good to have this kind of information out there, even if in all likelihood it won't do very much to actually change too many minds.

Maybe the biggest disappointment to me was when I was in Catholic grade and high school, we were naturally required to take and pass religion courses. And, all-in-all, the study of the Bible and church history was presented in a rather objective way -- we talked about changes in the Bible and a lot of the darker history of the church. But, a lot of the stuff that I've been reading lately in the above books wasn't presented. It's like they wanted to give just a taste of it, but not delve into a full meal for fear of giving out too much information. It is probably too much to be expected in hindsight, but it is always easier to look back and see what could or should have been.

I am also currently reading another good one, The Historical Jesus, that is a review of all the historical knowledge that can be assembled about Jesus. Not just the Bible as a historical document, but all the Jewish and Roman and other historical documents that have survived.

I'm sorry, that's a fairly vague title. Do you know the author?

To my knowledge there are very few references to Jesus outside of religious texts. There are a couple references in the old Jewish Records, referring to a character called Yeshu, who fits some of the descriptions of Jesus. Could anyone talk me down on this subject? lol

To my knowledge there are very few references to Jesus outside of religious texts. There are a couple references in the old Jewish Records, referring to a character called Yeshu, who fits some of the descriptions of Jesus. Could anyone talk me down on this subject? lol

That's somewhat tangential, but I think it's pushing on discussion of the religion rather than discussion of the book.

True, sorry for going off topic. But I think it has more to do with history, I am not arguing on a religious standpoint. To prevent controversy I'll stay off this topic.

Sounds like an interesting book though, would I be able to find it at a local bookstore such as B&N or Borders?

Well, I'll be. Nor did I. Sorry to both of you for the confusion. :embarass:

YOU SHOULD BE!!!! :P

I'm gonna take a look at this book. When I get a chance, I'll probably also get the book IMM recommended ages ago called The Marginal Jew.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess it is my fault for not surfing (if that term's correct here, for this) around on the forum more. Wow...

The book interrupting Jesus had been given a very fair review by the Society of Biblical Literature's Biblical Literature Review. The author had mostly (as it turns out) taken stuff from the internet to a large degree, is not a scholar, but had demonstrated a fair range of looking at what's out there in the classical works. The book had been positioned as a rebut to Ehrman's 'Misquoting Jesus,' but contained some 40%, or so, of content to an earlier book of his.

As far as the Bible goes, since it had been mentioned (or the matter of it had been raised) in the OP, it is not (as suggested in passing comment) a singe book in any way, but a collection of writings by a number of hands--even the first century writings. I would very strongly tend to suspect, however, that the book Interrupting Jesus (and yes, the historical personage would have been Yeshua; Jesus is an English construction) would be missing some evidence, and drawing some incorrect lines between dots as well. It does seem to temper Ehrman's work a little, however.

But, I tell you what folks, if you really want to kind of attempt to find out for yourselves, you'd be better off learning some Greek and Hebrew, and getting some original tongue recensions.

• 4 weeks later...
I should think the sun would be pretty easy to find.

Show me?

Dont show me someone elses work,show me your own work on where the Sun is? ok?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
so is getting round the otherside. personally i do this every 6 months

Then,how come you never have any answers to anything if this is true?

If one could go around the other side and back like you claim.Where is some secret answers?

Show me something that could amaze my eyes?

So,then what you said is therefor,false information....*added,Information isnt wrong.its just wrong that you claim what you say.Thats false information!

Edited by crownedconquern
Consecutive posts merged.

Show me?

Dont show me someone elses work,show me your own work on where the Sun is? ok?

*Points at the big shiny thing in the sky*

I too go to the other side of the sun every so often. I don't think it's every six months though, since the sun is spinning as well as us orbiting it.