Are Heterosexuals inherently Homo-Phobic

As far as fair rebukes to offensive other threads go, this one gets the cake. :)

If you're talking about from childhood, before a child knows much about sexual activities, I'd say that it wasn't, and that heterosexual or homosexual behavior or discrimination is merely a result of societal pressures.

But if you're talking about after someone has determined their "mental" sexuality if you will and who is fully mature... than I would say that it is. Male<--only-->female action is so ingrained in the heterosexual psyche that anything outside of that seems outright offensive, and the same would apply to homosexuals. Of course some people brought up to be gay or straight might find the discrimination against the other "alignment" to be offensive or feel suppressed from what seems natural to them, and may switch as a reaction, among other reasons, so homo/heterophobia isn't a definite thing. But it's certainly an inherent and ultimately natural development, based on human psychology. We can only hope that people can become openminded in the future...

Particularly when casually flagging 10% of the population as genetic defects. :rolleyes:

Which frightens you more:

1) An actual homosexual encounter where someone of the same sex offers to get intimate with you, or

2) Having a heterosexual think you seriously considered accepting the homosexual's offer?

Well I can honestly say that I'm not homophobic against gay men, but I'm kind of homophobic towards lesbians(I have my reasons! I could write a 3 page essay on this but I wont do it here!) I don't mind gay guy's because the thought of two (good-looking) lads together makes me quite...um...happy :P . But the thought of two members of my gender together just makes me want to gag...anyhoo that's my two cents.

Well, i think taht by the time a male specimen of the human species reaches the staus of man, (that is adulthood) and "straightness" is strongly established, he usually has a certain degree of homophobia. However I don't think that that homophobia must be understood in the dramatic way that it usually is. What I mean is taht usually, straight men will prefer the company of other straight man to the company of gay men. if that fits as homophobia, then yes, staright men are inherently homophobic.

By the way, is homophobia really a phobia? Phobos stand for fear, but homophobia is normally used as a synonim of hate towards homosexuals.

That's because hate is caused by fear. They are hated because they are different from what's "normal" . Because people generally fear the things they don't understand, and fear eventually transendes into hate.

I do not think homophobia is inherent in heterosexuals. I think certain pressures from society have made homosexuality a negative thing and therefore some heteros think they must vehemently assure everyone that they are not homosexual. Unless a homosexual advance is forced upon you, what is there to fear? You can always say no.

As George Carlin once said, it may be unnatural (not according to nature), but it's not abnormal.

thats my vision of paradise!!
I'm assuming that in bloodhound paradise the two women who are "together" would invite you to join them, making them bisexual. Your heaven would turn quickly to hell if they were truly homosexual and asked you to leave.

"Unless a homosexual advance is forced upon you, what is there to fear? You can always say no."

A forced advance is not really anything to fear. A forced act can certainly be feared, irrespective of the victim's sexuality.

[edit]

I just realised the "unless" was in there, so presumably you meant forced act?

I'm assuming that in bloodhound paradise the two women who are "together" would invite you to join them, making them bisexual. Your heaven would turn quickly to hell if they were truly homosexual and asked you to leave.

I am quite happy just to watch hehe

[i']I just realised the "unless" was in there, so presumably you meant forced act?
Even an advance, if forced and unsolicited, can be traumatic enough to induce the fear we've been talking about. I think "forced" is the operative word here.

Even an advance, if forced and unsolicited, can be traumatic enough to induce the fear we've been talking about. I think "forced" is the operative word here.

Right.

Well, my point was that the trauma of that is not related to the sexuality of either person.

Please forgive my lack of clarity. I was responding to this part of your post:

A forced advance is not really anything to fear.
A forced act[/i'] can certainly be feared' date=' irrespective of the victim's sexuality.[/quote']You are absolutely, positively, 100% correct. For some reason I had it in mind that by fear we were talking about homophobia.

subconsiously every heterosexual is homophobic.
Let's be clear here. Are you talking about a revulsion to the idea of sexual relations with a person of the same sex or are you talking about an active fear or hatred of homosexuals? While it's not my personal proclivity and I would be revulsed by an open advance from a homosexual, to me it would hold the same fear factor that someone offering me some Tengu Clam Jerky would have. The clam jerky would make me nauseous but I wouldn't hate or fear the person offering it.

You are absolutely, positively, 100% correct. For some reason I had it in mind that by fear we were talking about homophobia.

Okay, I've had a think while I was doing my ironing and I have put it in a different way. By the way, my original post was more like adding on to yours rather than disputing it.

Here goes:

I do not think homophobia is inherent in heterosexuals. I think certain pressures from society have made homosexuality a negative thing and therefore some heteros think they must vehemently assure everyone that they are not homosexual. Unless a homosexual advance is forced upon you, what is there to fear? You can always say no.

I tend to agree. If the opposite case were true, and unsolicited advances or unwelcome acts from homosexuals caused homophobia, we'd also have a social concept of "heterophobia".

By the way, my original post was more like adding on to yours rather than disputing it.
I have an inordinate respect for your opinion and do tend to get defensive when I think we're in dispute semantically. Mea culpa.
Okay, I've had a think while I was doing my ironing and I have put it in a different way.
Ironing?! What are you, homosexual?

:D:D:D j/k :D:D:D j/k :D:D:D *

*Please note the almost Tesseractian overuse of smiley's!

Frankly I'm repulsed by the sexual actions of homosexuals. The idea of another man making love to another man has always sickened me. Of course two woman is an idea I've enjoyed many a times.

I don't think I fear or hate them by any means.

Frankly I'm repulsed by the sexual actions of homosexuals. The idea of another man making love to another man has always sickened me. Of course two woman is an idea I've enjoyed many a times.

That's something of a double standard. Any idea why one repulses you but the other does not?

I often wonder why many blokes get flustered about men having sex together but don't have any compunction whatsoever about bragging that they've done exactly the same thing with a woman.