My opinion of Abert Einstein changed....

dr.syntax

My opinion of Albert Einstein has not been a good one up until now. I just read a quote by him that changed my opinion of him as a human being, utterly, and for the better. Here is the quote as it was presented in the philosophy science forum : " Our task must be to free ourselves ... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it`s beauty" " Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. " unquote Perhaps there is some hope for we humans after all. Yes I am a vegetarian and reading those words of his meant a lot to me. I am too tired at this time to pursue this issue further. Sincerely, Dr.Syntax

I have no desire to create a blog, It took me completely by surprise to realize he shared feelings I have had as far back as I can remember. To when I realized what meat was by killing and cleaning fish with my father. Ever after that I knew some animal had suffered and died to provide the meat I was eating. I really don`t have anything more to say about it, at least for now. ...Dr.Syntax

Why was your opinion of Einstein a negative one before this?

REPLY: Much of what I had read of the work he was most famous for,in particular that 1905 paper, was simply a rewrite of previous author`s writings and ideas including: Lorenz, Henri Poincare and some others I can`t recall at this moment. Some Italian and an Englishman who worked out E=mc2 back around 1875. His name was Tolver Preston. Actually there is a laundry list of his plagarisms provide at: [ http://thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=5236 ]. The man who wrote this history of Einstein`s plagarism is himself Jewish. For mentioning such facts as this I have been accused of being a racist so that is why I noted that. That article I linked to documents the history of all this along with Einstein`s forced admitting to certain specifics is documented here. ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax
better wording

So your opinion of people depends largely on whether they agree with you?

REPLY: No more than most people. Berjenkes is but one of a very many who have looked into this and written articles that use the historical record of these events to make thier point. It is not my intention to reopen that can of worms. It was that quote by Einstein regarding the importance Einstein placed on vegetarianism that made me see him in a much more positive light. Please read that quote I provided at the top of this thread. He thinks of it as extremely important to the continuation of life itself on Earth. My thinking influenced by his thinking has gotten me at the very beginings of how this sort of awareness might lead to answers to such problems as the rapidly approaching TECHNOLOGICAL SINGULARITY. My subconscious mind is working on this. I have no concepts worked out yet as to why that may be, only that there may be some answer somewhere inside me as to how this may possibly be important. Einstein obviously felt it was important to the survival of mankind from reading that quote. Regards, ...Dr.Syntax

Well, it doesn't take a genius to realize that vegetarians are far more efficient, nor that we are already straining the earth's biosphere. Even so, meat that is produced from otherwise unusable plant matter also increases efficiency. But, meat tastes good and we are eating far more of it than would be healthy.

Can we have the origin of this quote, dr.syntax?

I'd love to see where it's taken from.

REPLY: I gave my source in the original post of this thread. It is : The Philosophy Science Forum . It may be in the thread titled: WHY I AM A VEGETARIAN. I am not sure about that. They do provide a intra-forum search engine which could be used to ascertain just where in that forum it is located. Regards, ...Dr.Syntax

dr.syntax, we're on the internet, it's on the internet, can you stop fiddling around and just give us a link as you are supposed to do to avoid plagiarism?

It's not the first time we need to beg you for your sources. Plagiarism is against the rules.

REPLY: I gave my source in the original post of this thread. It is : The Philosophy Science Forum . It may be in the thread titled: WHY I AM A VEGETARIAN. I am not sure about that. They do provide a intra-forum search engine which could be used to ascertain just where in that forum it is located. Regards, ...Dr.Syntax

Einstein posted in a forum? o.0

Einstein posted in a forum? o.0

REPLY: I did not say that. I gave my source, which is that forum. Here are some other sources as to Einstein and vegetarianism. The first one is: VEGETARIAN QUOTES : At : http://choices.cs.uiuc.edu/~f-kon/vegetarian.html . The quote I used in the Original Post is found there with many others by some note worthy people including L.di Vinci. The second website which is much more informative as to Einstein and vegetarianism is : [ http://www.ivu.org/history/northam20a/einstein.html ]. Hope those links work. ...Dr.Syntax

BOTH OF THESE LINKS NOW WORK .......Sorry for any inconvenience ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax

REPLY: I did not say that. I gave my source, which is that forum.
Well, you were asked for a source for the quote, and you said it was in a forum... so you can see where I'd think you meant Eistein posted in a forum.

Here are some other sources as to Einstein and vegetarianism. The first one is: VEGETARIAN QUOTES : At :[ http://choices.cs.uiic.edu~f-kon/vegetarian.html ]. The quote I used in the Original Post is found there with many others by some note worthy people including L.di Vinci. The second website which is much more informative as to Einstein and vegetarianism is : [ http://www.ivu.org/history/northam20a/Einstein.html ]. Hope those links work. ...Dr.Syntax

Neither link works. The first one is malformed, the second nets a 404.

well, you were asked for a source for the quote, and you said it was in a forum... So you can see where i'd think you meant eistein posted in a forum.

Neither link works. The first one is malformed, the second nets a 404.

reply: Both of those links now work ...ds

dr.syntax, we're on the internet, it's on the internet, can you stop fiddling around and just give us a link as you are supposed to do to avoid plagiarism?

It's not the first time we need to beg you for your sources. Plagiarism is against the rules.

reply: What is this crap about plagarism . I am trying to provide a link to quote. How can that possibly be construed as plagarism ?

By the way those two links now work

reply: What is this crap about plagarism . I am trying to provide a link to quote. How can that possibly be construed as plagarism ?

By the way those two links now work

When you provide a quote, you need to supply the link where that quote is from. We should not be resorting to asking you for it. This isn't the first time I ask you to provide the source for a citation or a claim; quoting without supplying the source is plagiarism, it's against the law and it's against our rules.

Please make this the last time, dr.syntax. It's getting quite annoying.

REPLY: Much of what I had read of the work he was most famous for,in particular that 1905 paper, was simply a rewrite of previous author`s writings and ideas including: Lorenz, Henri Poincare and some others I can`t recall at this moment. Some Italian and an Englishman who worked out E=mc2 back around 1875. His name was Tolver Preston. Actually there is a laundry list of his plagarisms provide at: [ http://thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=5236 ]. The man who wrote this history of Einstein`s plagarism is himself Jewish. For mentioning such facts as this I have been accused of being a racist so that is why I noted that. That article I linked to documents the history of all this along with Einstein`s forced admitting to certain specifics is documented here. ...Dr.Syntax

Ah, we went through that already. Your support for that notion was pretty much destroyed (classifying it as "a simple rewrite" is laughably wrong) and yet you cling to it. But that thread was locked, so we won't continue it here.

Sources don't become credible simply because they agree with your point of view.

Ah, we went through that already. Your support for that notion was pretty much destroyed (classifying it as "a simple rewrite" is laughably wrong) and yet you cling to it. But that thread was locked, so we won't continue it here.

Sources don't become credible simply because they agree with your point of view.

REPLY: Those links such as Chrisopher Bjerknes document every statement he makes. The references of from the era this all occured in. All any of you did was to gang up on me. I didn`t see any of you documenting anything. I guess you consider your statements documentation. Bjerknes website is : http://thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=5236 . I never wanted to open this up again,you did or why did you ask me about it when you already knew the answer. You talked about how it had been locked and such so already knew all that but chose to ask me why I had previously held him in low regard. Why would you ask me that when you knew all about. It`s you people trying to create trouble with me and always has been. Your all very clever and come up with some make believe reasons that you are somehow not saying what you actually are saying. ...DR.syntax

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
When you provide a quote, you need to supply the link where that quote is from. We should not be resorting to asking you for it. This isn't the first time I ask you to provide the source for a citation or a claim; quoting without supplying the source is plagiarism, it's against the law and it's against our rules.

Please make this the last time, dr.syntax. It's getting quite annoying.

REPLY: Want a good laugh on me. It shows me you never bother reading the links I supply anyway. That second link discounts those quotes attributed to Einstein. Chew on that a while and see what new fun you can have belittling me. It makes this whole thread based on an unsubstantiated quote. Have fun with that. I`m still laughing about it. I quit caring what any of you think of me. ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax
Consecutive posts merged.

Arg, it ate my post! Well, here's most of it.

I did a google search for a portion of your quote, and it returned only scienceforums. You misquoted Einstein; though in this case ti was only a misspelling. This is one reason to cite a source, any source. Another reason is: did Einstein provide the reasoning for these statements? Ie, did he say them as a conclusion, or an opinion. For this we need a primary source, not just any source.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:p2ZreFUzqQEJ:www.ecoling.net/whowhat.doc+The+New+York+Times+%22by+widening+our+circle+of+compassion+to+embrace+all+living+creatures+and+the+whole+of+nature+and+its+beauty%22&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty. -- Albert Einstein, letter dated 1950, Mathematical circles adieu: A fourth collection of mathematical stories and anecdotes [compiled by] Howard W. Eves, Boston: Prindle, Weber & Schmidt, 1977.

Arg, old people and their doing stuff that's not on the internet. :mad: Can't find a copy of this online.

I'm not sure what the point is of this thread. there is no clear question, statement or theory, and it seems that there is a lot of unhappy sentiment in this thread - I say we close it simply because it was started poorly.

Dr. Syntax: please give us something to discuss next time you open a thread. Right now I disagree with everybody about what is actually the topic... I believe from the OP that the topic isn't Einstein's quote, but instead is vegetarianism. But I can understand that people disagree with me. So, we should start a discussion about what's the topic before discussing the topic itself. That's worse than politics.

But anyway, if the quote is correct, Einstein seems to suggest that we evolve to become vegetarians. He doesn't suggest that individuals already alive today become vegetarians.

But anyway, if the quote is correct, Einstein seems to suggest that we evolve to become vegetarians. He doesn't suggest that individuals already alive today become vegetarians.

I don't think he means physical evolution, but cultural evolution - which would be a call for people to change, IMO. Kind of like MLK's "I have a dream" of course he knew it would not happen quickly, but he hoped.

REPLY: Want a good laugh on me. It shows me you never bother reading the links I supply anyway. That second link discounts those quotes attributed to Einstein. Chew on that a while and see what new fun you can have belittling me. It makes this whole thread based on an unsubstantiated quote. Have fun with that. I`m still laughing about it. I quit caring what any of you think of me. ...Dr.Syntax

This has nothing to do with laughing at you, dr.syntax. You seem to refuse to read and follow our rules and then get childishly defensive when we call you up on it.

You're right, though, you weren't plagiarising per say; you didn't claim Einstein's quote is your own, you just didn't supply its source. It appears that isn't precisely plagiarism, it's just not supplying sources -- which is against the rules as well.

If this was the first time, I'd have been more linient and less insistent about it, dr.syntax. But you refuse to supply sources to most of your posts and this needs to stop. In college, the "failure to supply sources" and the "pretending someone else is your words" is almost the same offense. It gets you kicked out.

We are giving you another chance, so stop making things personal as if us telling you that you're behavior is unacceptable is "laughable" or that we're "belittling you".

Geesh, man, stop blaming everyone for belittling you.

You did not read our rules, and you refuse to follow them.

When we point it out, we're not belittling you, we're empowering you to make the right decision.

~moo

Arg, it ate my post! Well, here's most of it.

I did a google search for a portion of your quote, and it returned only scienceforums. You misquoted Einstein; though in this case ti was only a misspelling. This is one reason to cite a source, any source. Another reason is: did Einstein provide the reasoning for these statements? Ie, did he say them as a conclusion, or an opinion. For this we need a primary source, not just any source.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:p2ZreFUzqQEJ:www.ecoling.net/whowhat.doc+The+New+York+Times+%22by+widening+our+circle+of+compassion+to+embrace+all+living+creatures+and+the+whole+of+nature+and+its+beauty%22&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty. -- Albert Einstein, letter dated 1950, Mathematical circles adieu: A fourth collection of mathematical stories and anecdotes [compiled by] Howard W. Eves, Boston: Prindle, Weber & Schmidt, 1977.

Arg, old people and their doing stuff that's not on the internet. :mad: Can't find a copy of this online.

REPLY: PLEASE MR.SKEPTIC, are you telling me that quote has a reliable source,that Einstein did in fact say the things I thought he did ? The reason I am so adamant about this is that I found a website that discounted that quote that had inspired me so much. I posted that website and pretty much lost faith in it myself. It is important to me to know if he did say those things. Those ideas expressed in that quote agree and expand upon feelings I have had since I was a child. Gee, I had given up on this supposed quote of his. I`m not sure why it matters to me but it does. ...Dr.Syntax

POST REPLY: WELL THERE IT IS. I clicked unto it and you found the source of the quote. I am beside myself with I don`t even know what. VERY VERY PLEASED. NOT FOR BEING RIGHT, that is not it at all. For some reason it does renew some feeling of hope and purpose inside me that seemed to be dying in me. Thank you ever so much. Sincerely, ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax