Odd things are happening!

Cap'n Refsmmat

This has happened twice to me: I come on to the forums, and all the posts from the day before all the way to the 8th are deleted. I post a thread about it... but nobody is ever on. Then, the next day, I come on and everything is back to normal, and there are posts from the day before that I never saw! And the thread I posted about it was deleted...

I am using both Firefox and IE, and no, I'm not working offline. What could be happening?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wierd. anyone else have that problem?

Make sure your IE is set to automatically update the page everytime you visit. Clear cache just to be sure :/ That's the only thing I can think of.

The first time I was using IE, the second Firefox. The thread I posted the first time was visible the second time, so I made a reply in that.

The first time, I noticed nobody was on (as with the second time) except, once, Phi For All. No guests, only me.

Perhaps other people didn't notice the problem? And if it was done at a time when people weren't going to be online, then clearly there's not going to be a lot of other people around to notice.

Except me not posting yesterday.

I think it only did anything to me... I'm not sure. Yesterday, with all the deleted posts, I had only 1300 posts, and now that they're all back (for me, anyways) I'm back to 1500. What gets me is how it did this twice, and the posts I made (I made 2 threads the first time!) were all lost... And it also says the last time I visited was Wednesday, not yesterday, when I noticed the problem again.

It's unlikely that if it was a server issue it only affected you. As I've said before, my best guess would be the hosting guys messing around with the database and accidentally rolling back to a backup or something.

If they went to a backup, then why would the stuff I posted then dissapear later? And why would nobody else see it? And so on and so on...

If this happens again I'll tell you exactly what I did and I'll check it on a different computer if possible.

By the way, I also logged out then and nothing changed. So it's not based on username.

If they rolled back the db by accident and you posted in the time between them rolling back and correcting the issue by going to the most recent rollback, then any posts you made in that interim period would disappear.

I logged on yesterday, and the posts that had gone missing a little while ago were back. I responded to a question by YT concerning Korsakoff's syndrome, but by the time I posted my response, the question had gone, as had all the other posts that had mysteriously reappeared.

Several times lately I've gotten email notification of a posting on a thread I've subscribed to and when I go to check it out the thread seems to be missing lots of posts, including the one I was notified about. It is usually resolved within the day and all the posts return. This has been happening since the major loss of posts a few weeks ago when the server was being upgraded.

Nope, and considering I've been on pretty much all day every day since then, I haven't seen him around. Must be busy blowing things up in his lab.

LOL, actualy this is the 1`st day I`ve been in the Lab, I`ve been busy with other projects, I`ve got over 40 Chili plants on the go alone, and 6 of them have flowered already, that`s not to mention all the other experiments I`ve been conducting. I did miss this place a bit though, I must admit :)

Several times lately I've gotten email notification of a posting on a thread I've subscribed to and when I go to check it out the thread seems to be missing lots of posts, including the one I was notified about. It is usually resolved within the day and all the posts return. This has been happening since the major loss of posts a few weeks ago when the server was being upgraded.

This is odd...

Is it only me who had all the posts for several days deleted, then have them reappear a day later?

I don't think VB has the functionality to "accidentally" do stuff like this - best bet is that something is going on with the database server. Or it's some kind of attack.

[edit] It could also be crappy caching on the part of people's ISPs.

Just noticed something else... When you hold your mouse over links to threads, and it normally will show you a small part of the first post in the yellow box. In several I have seen it shows a date in tiny script, like Jan24 and then directly beneath it 2004 in equally tiny script. But its not the date the thread was posted.