Risks of eating raw Alaskan wild-caught Keta salmon?

• 1 month later...
Um, perhaps biologists familiar with the species?

Well, if you actually believe anyone could know what new and old microrganisms exist out there and where the fish were caught,by whom and if they were properly refrigerated and such go ahead and eat them raw. You have a lot more faith in humanity than I do. Do you really believe people anymore. Oh yes, the FDA is making sure all is A-OK as to food and such. Have a good life, I REALLY hope you do, ...ds

Well, if you actually believe anyone could know what new and old microrganisms exist out there and where the fish were caught,by whom and if they were properly refrigerated and such go ahead and eat them raw. You have a lot more faith in humanity than I do. Do you really believe people anymore. Oh yes, the FDA is making sure all is A-OK as to food and such. Have a good life, I REALLY hope you do, ...ds

1. I fail to see the direct connection between this mini-rant and the OP.

2. Saying "I don't know" is not the same as saying "Nobody knows." The former is an honest admission of ignorance, while the latter is presumptuous for someone without expertise in the subject. I can easily imagine that there can be illnesses associated with eating raw Alaskan wild-caught Keta salmon, much like trichinosis is associated with eating raw pork. I'd prefer to hear details from someone with some expertise in the matter.

Hi:

What illnesses [caused by pathogenic microbes] are associated with eating raw Alaskan wild-caught Keta salmon?

Thanks,

Green Xenon

I don't know about Alaskan wild-caught Keta salmon specifically, but the pathogen that springs to mind in association with under-cooked seafood is vibrio. "Vibrio" is actually a genus of micro-organisms often found in salt water, and includes cholera.

• 6 years later...

Xen,

I eat the store bought ahi raw all the time, never an issue. For Keta, ill put it on stovetop heat set at 3 and heat the skin-side for a minute or three. No issue, but maybe the microbial army has taken my body over and I am no longer me?

I don't know about Alaskan wild-caught Keta salmon specifically, but the pathogen that springs to mind in association with under-cooked seafood is vibrio. "Vibrio" is actually a genus of micro-organisms often found in salt water, and includes cholera.

Not to mention flat and round worms. Tapeworms, liver flukes etc.

Then there's Cold water Vibriosis, Enteric speticaemie, Furunculosis, Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis, Bacterial Kidney Disease, Pateurellosis, Piscrickettsiosis, Streptococcus, Herpes salmonidis, Viral Ethrocytic Necrosis. To name a few of a much longer list.

Neorickettsia helminthoeca is known to kill dogs and wolves.

Keta, aka Dog Salmon or Chum Salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) eat mainly plankton and rarely bite hooks, hence most are caught in fresh water systems during spawning season. At that point in time, they are most vulnerable to predators and pathogens.

It's not advisable to ingest any species of salmon raw without thorough salting, drying or freezing.

!

Moderator Note

Joshmoe, I've hidden several off-topic posts. Our #1 rule here is civility. If you can't take some ribbing about necromancy, please say nothing. That would be preferable to homophobic sniping, which always seems inappropriate.

No need to respond to this note in thread, but you can Report it if you disagree. Can we get back to the topic, please?

Absolutely. Necromancy, now that IS witty. You must not be eating unecessarilly over cooked foods. Amazing how the brain and body can function as an entity when properly fed, despite the myths touted by germaphobe hacks. Pardon my earlier remarks, I'll return to raw foods and necromancy. Have a splendid day! 😉