Spyware...

Just recently I checked my computer for spyware and found...

116 spybots!!! (and a partridge in a pear tree)

Seriously, though, where do they come from? I hardly ever download anything. And, my stupid firewall claims it kills them. How can they get access to my internet without alerting it?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are various hitlists of undesirable cookies, usually called data miners.

Cap'n, a lot of spyware gets installed with programs like Bonzai Buddy, Gator, Kazaa, the new DivX installation etc.

Things like browser hijackers normally are loaded to your browser via malicious javascript in dodgy web sites.

There are various hitlists of undesirable cookies' date=' usually called data miners.

Cap'n, a lot of spyware gets installed with programs like Bonzai Buddy, Gator, Kazaa, the new DivX installation etc.

Things like browser hijackers normally are loaded to your browser via malicious javascript in dodgy web sites.[/quote']

I saw a list of the programs, and I had only downloaded one out of all of them. But that doesn't account for the whole 116.

if you ever see GAIN, kill it. by kill, i mean torture; take the source code for everything in it and tear it to shreds, then save it to a 3.5" floppy disk and put it on your network as a warning to all spyware. always remember this: GAIN->loss

Not true. A cookie is just a plain text file that cannot run as an executable entity.

True, but often cookies are an integral part of spyware and server side data collection scripts.

There has been a HUGE increase in the amount of spyware over the past couple of months. There are two tools which I find very useful for removing this stuff.

Adaware and Hijackthis. Adaware is a user friendly hunt, warn and delete application. Hijackthis gives you a snapshot of the registry components that may be causing problems allowing you to decide what to delete (be careful though because it lists both good and bad components so deleting everything it lists WILL kill your OS).

True, but often cookies are an integral part of spyware and server side data collection scripts.

But they can't actively do anything on their own, nor do they contain software, which is what Tesseract was saying.