Spyware...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Linux fair?

I always hear of Linux being much safer, but I don't know why...

One reason I heard was b/c the malicious viruses/bots can't run on Linux.

Any verification or add-ons to that?

So autopreview has the same effect as opening the e-mail? If a virus is in an e-mail and Outlook automaticly opens it, the virus gets into the computer? Not a very tough question, I know, but I want to be sure. And if so, how would I turn it off.

Yes, autopreview can run javascripts etc in mails which in turn can launch attached nasties.

Turn it off from the 'View' menu for the folders that get raw incoming mails. Iirc there's a default setting in general mail options too.

It's a good idea to go through all of Outlook's options and turn off anything you don't need. And while you're at it make sure macros are only run on request in your Office apps ;)

Sounds like you do have safe habits, but without a firewall what happens at your ports is completely beyond your control.

Quite. Inevitably, something like the RPC exploit is going to come up again, and when it finds your IP (like it did on my LAN), it's a pain in the ass that can quite easily be protected against by a simple firewall. I mean, there's simply no excuse for not getting one tbh. The one shipped with XP, whilst not the best in the world, is definately better than nothing at all, and it takes about 5 seconds to activate.

Sorry, did it again and forgot to read the next page of stuff.

As regards to linux, I haven't heard of lots of trojans and virii going around, probably because it's not a widely used desktop machine so there's not a lot of point. Mainly it's exploits for a variety of server programs and things that run in the background.

Thanks, it says my system is now clean. We'll see how long it lasts.

No. It's back.

Well, it was. I ran the CW program again and now it's gone. Is there any way just to have the system automaticly run the CW program when I turn on the computer?

...whenever you like?

http://windowsupdate.com

If you have not done so already' date=' install the "critical upates notification" client. It will tell you whenever there's a vital security patch release.[/quote']

Didnt you say that Microsoft wanted to allow users that didnt buy the product like me, to download the patches?Is that already done?

Yeah, that's right.

Most users were more concerned about Service Pack 2 for XP (some of the SPs for Windows 2000 killed unlicensed installations), but it will be safe to use with any installation.

Microsoft don't really care about licensing for Windows - it's Office Professional they pull the guns out to protect.

Yeah' date=' that's right.

Most users were more concerned about Service Pack 2 for XP (some of the SPs for Windows 2000 killed unlicensed installations), but it will be safe to use with any installation.

Microsoft don't really care about licensing for Windows - it's Office Professional they pull the guns out to protect.[/quote']

Yeah when I tried before to download service pack two it wouldnt let me :-(

Whats office professional about?

What's with you and ninjas?

Q: Why is everyone so obsessed about ninjas?

A: Ninjas are the ultimate paradox. On the one hand they don't give a crap, but on the other hand, ninjas are very careful and precise.

Good question! He seems to be a big fan of ninjas!

Ninjas are sooooo sweet. But you got to respect them, or they'll totally flip out.

Look what It says on the license agreement for service pack 0ne sayonara:

"IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALIDLY LICENSED COPY OF

THE APPLICABLE OS SOFTWARE, YOU ARE NOT

AUTHORIZED TO INSTALL, COPY OR OTHERWISE USE

THE OS COMPONENTS AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS

UNDER THIS SUPPLEMENTAL EULA." :-(:-(:-(

Look what It says on the license agreement for service pack 0ne sayonara:
Most users were more concerned about Service Pack 2 for XP ... but it will be safe to use with any installation.

Do you want me to teach you to read as well?

RTFW Tesseract.