Pakistan faces bankruptcy

bascule

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/3147266/Pakistan-facing-bankruptcy.html

They have $8 billion in cash but $5 billion in outstanding liabilities, not to mention a leadership crisis.

I don't think things are boding well for the 6th most populous nation on earth, which is also a nuclear power and harbors a nuclear scientist who not only knows how to build bombs from scratch but already sold secrets to Iran and North Korea.

Well I'm no economist, but as I understand it they can certainly produce more money, but if that money isn't backed by something (like a bond or treasury bill) then it will fall in value at a correspondingly equal rate. In most cases the country in question is not self-sufficient, so goods and services will immediately become more expensive to offset the devalued currency, and you face hyperinflation.

In some cases the country is self-sufficient enough that it can essentially build an isolated economy and, if necessary, trade for foreign goods based on external resources. Cuba comes to mind as an example of that, and perhaps North Korea, particularly in its relationship with China. Iran is an interesting example -- able to trade its oil on foreign markets in exchange for tremendous import capability in spite of economic sanctions. But I digress.

I know consumer confidence also plays a role, but I believe as a general rule any market with working adults in it can be rescued from the hyperinflation trap with a little fiscal responsibility.

No foreign nation is going to buy up Pakistani treasury bonds in current economic conditions. In order to keep their currency stable, they'd have to back with something more tangible, like gold or silver.

To be honest, I think Iceland is in far greater economic trouble than Pakistan for the time being. Their top three major banks have gone under in the last week, all being heavily dependent upon debt to keep themselves afloat, and a good proportion of that in foreign currency apparently. I've read that the banks have about $300k of debt for every person in Iceland, and their loans totalled something like 5-6 times as much as they have in deposits. Their currency tanked and the government has had to bail them all out.

From reading some of the US news sites, it's not been widely reported which I guess I can understand, with there only being about 320,000 people in the country, but a lot of UK savers (~300,000) have got money over there which has all been frozen by (I guess) the Icelandic government. The banks are essentially entirely reliant in that money remaining in place because it's their main deposit base. Unfortunately the UK government hasn't taken kindly to all of this, and whilst they've guaranteed all savers getting all of their money back, they're not too impressed with Iceland, and have used anti-terrorism (!) laws to freeze as many Icelandic assets that they can get their hands on in order to get some of the money back. Very sorry state of affairs over there at the moment.