The most beautiful number

Tank

I read in a book that this was the most beautiful number and altough this post has no importance at all...just wondered why is was the most beautiful number.

Drum Roll Please.... tltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltltl

Indeed, there's a lot of strange ratios and things that involve phi generally.

(as a brief overview, if you work out Fn/Fn-1 where F is a term in the Fibonacci sequence, then phi is equal to the limit of this ratio as n tends to infinity.)

if "beauty" is subjective (and I`m sure we can all agree on that) then how can it be quantified?

least of all have a ratio attatched to it!? :))

Perhaps you're going about this the wrong way.

If Phi is present in many systems that are part of something we say is "beautiful", then perhaps beauty is not as subjective as we thought.

The book was The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. It's been quite some tiem since I read the books so I'm not sure if it was explained. Although, I do remember when he wrote about it he talked about how 1.618 was a reaccurring number in events that happened on earth. Dan Brown did such a good job by making fact and fiction bind together to make pure fact that it's hard to comprehend if all the situations where 1.618 appeared. Now that I know of it the number might have just been 618, but I'm not too sure. If anyone has read the book correct me if I am wrong...constructive critisism please. Another strange thins is that 618 is my area code...LoL

It was phi. I believe Robert Langdon was using it to teach a class about anatomy and how phi was a proportion often found in plants and animals. On the website I posted a while ago, there is a nice little section on the left detailing where all this apears. Some I think is a little bit of a stretch, but it's is interesting for a minute or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier! Phi is indeed the most beautiful number. Take the ratio of your whole arm to the elbow to fingertip bit, you get 1.618 to 1. The same for your legs and knees to toes. Elbow to fingertip, wrist to fingertip the same. Your face has lots of these phi ratios, like from top of the head to chin, middle of the eyes to chin is 1.618 to 1.

In nature, spirals found in shells and seed clusters are always the same ratio. Take the width of a sunflower's center to the length of its petals and you get phi to 1. A dolphin's total length to its tail to dorsal fin ratio is phi to 1. The pentagram was considered a magical symbol because ALL of its lines bisect each other in this same ratio.

Many artists and architects take advantage of this naturally occuring ratio. It was named after the Greek sculptor Phidias. The Sun Pyramid at Teotihuacan and the Great Pyramid at Ghiza both use it in their designs. Raphael, DaVinci and Michaelangelo all believed it evoked special emotions from humans and used it to proportion all their human subjects.