ScienceForums.net Yearbook

blike

New pic from the field. For scale, the snake is 1.83 m without tail, 2.3 m with tail, and the marks on the pole are 20 cm apart. It's a Brown Tree Snake, which you'll see more about in my upcoming field report.

MeandhugeBTS.jpg

Mokele

what part of the snake(besides the head) isn't tail?

Basically, snakes have a head, which is connected to a neck (though to what degree this is distinct from the body is poorly understood and widely debated), and then a body. At the end of the body, lots of things happen, but mostly the vertebrae become less complex, the ribs vanish, and, most importantly, the cloaca (universal "out" hole) occurs. Most of any given snake is body, with only a short tail (contrasted with legless lizards, who are mostly tail). Length without tail is important since females and males may have drasticly different tail lengths (because that's where the male keeps his retractile hemipenes, thus males have longer tails), and because the tail has a limited role in much of locomotion (what I study).

Mokele

New pic from the field. For scale' date=' the snake is 1.83 m without tail, 2.3 m with tail, and the marks on the pole are 20 cm apart. It's a Brown Tree Snake, which you'll see more about in my upcoming field report.

[img']http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Mokele/Guam/MeandhugeBTS.jpg[/img]

Mokele

I was staring too hard at the sideburns to realize that there was a snake on the pole... but anyways whats a hemipenes? a half penis? how does that work? maybe its the snakes counterpart of being limb?

but anyways whats a hemipenes? a half penis? how does that work? maybe its the snakes counterpart of being limb?

Basically, snakes and lizards have two paired penises, called hemipenes, which are usually inverted and stored in the tail. They aren't actually limbs (since all lizards have them too), but their homology with the naughty bits of other species is debatable, as they might be a case of convergent evolution.

For a quick buck, bet a friend that some snakes have limbs. You'll win, since, while none have external limbs, boas and pythons retain vestiges of the pelvis, femur and toes within their body wall, evidenced by a small pair of claws ("spurs") at the cloaca, one on each side.

Dude Mokele, how long you been growing your beard for? It would be cool if you got it braided. ;-)

I've had it for 6 or so years, give or take, but it's sort of grown in gradually over that time. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to braid well, and I'm too tall to make a good dwarf.

Mokele

• 8 months later...

Here are a few of mine:

That's a few years ago though, in my "Matrixlike-sunglasses"! I'm such a geek :P

me-cool-uniform.JPG

another me from my military time:

moriel.jpg

and a recent one:

New-Haircut-small.jpg

Is it just me, or do you see a resemblance to my avatar? :P

~mooey

Yeah, been meaning to get round to this for a while... so, anyway here i am. mock if you will.

in hindsight i should have removed my earphones but my speakers on my laptop suck and it was a really good song(hysteria by muse).

EDIT: crap forgot to resize