LHC countdown

bascule

Just imagine how much that would suck if it yielded nothing useful.

It can't actually find nothing. Without the Higgs boson, the theory will break down at about 700GeV when it starts predicting probabilities larger than 1.

So it has to find something. I don't think it would have been funded otherwise.

For timescales, it will have lots of callibration runs first and will only start with 10TeV. I am not expecting any result on the Higgs boson until 2010. Supersymmetry (if it is there) might be a bit faster (mid 2009?).

• 2 weeks later...

LHC initiation and the Olympic opening ceremony on the same day, I'm not going out tomorrow! I also made the mistake of trying to explain the LHC to my daughter - she now is worried that the world is going to end tomorrow, I told her not to worry but she doesn't believe me :doh:

No I didn't say it was going to destroy the world or anything, she first found out about it when I was reading the beginning of this post, and some of the posts were saying things like the atmosphere is going to catch fire, she also read them over my shoulder! She can take things a bit too seriously if she has an inkling that we may all die, I showed her the LHC rap and thought her mind had been put at rest, but she questioned me again tonight. I'm sure she will forget all about it when she wakes up in the morning and no catastrophe has taken place:-)

so why did you say it could destroy the world? nothings going to happen.

anyway, the proton streams are just for testing, its not going to be ramped up to full power till september anyway.

I was informed that full power would take ~1year

I'm going to a party tomorrow night and I can tell two of my friends they share a birthday with the LHC...

lhcountdown.com is not working here... what happened??

The magnetic field generated by the LHC has rendered all clocks useless. Besides, who wants to know when we'll all implode and get sucked into an alternate universe...ignorance is bliss.

Tired doomsday jokes aside, just found this article...

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/08/07/get-ready-for-september-10th-cern-announces-lhc-switch-on/

Super Proton Synchrotron

Here's me thinking a cyclotron sounded Star Treky. :)

• 1 month later...