Does anyone know something that could improve human health (anything)..?

hitmankratos

Hi!

Something that could be promising in the future...

For example, garlic could have an effect on high blood pressure so there are studies going on to see if it could be turned into a vaccine to hypertension...(that's a lame example)....

It could have to do with anything (genomic, biotechnology...even geology), as long as it could have a potential in improving a health problem.

Thanks in advance.

I think the basics is all science can provide at this time.

Diet. Excercise. A healthy lifestyle (e.g. no smoking). Regular medical and dental checkups. Stay stress free and in good mental health. Have good genetics (not really a choice after conception though).

Otherwise, we are merely speculating about what might, or might not be possible.

If I could quit smoking it would likely improve my health. It wouldn't cure my arthritis or my hemophilia (don't ever mix those two, btw...the pills make you bleed so you end up settling for limping a lot) but it would likely get Mrs. Rev to quit bitching about the amount I smoke.

Generally, speaking of the human race though? Wealth is the best statistical indicator of good health, and education is the best indicator of wealth, so if you want people to be healthy education is a good place to start.

Cheerios supposedly lower cholesterol. The oats essentially 'soak up' cholesterol.

I'm reading teh box as I'm typing (don't ask)

"in six weeks Cherrios can reduce bad cholesterol by an average of 4 percent"

But I've learned not to trust General Mills after several cereal related...incidents...

Taking Vitamins (specially C) would be a good idea.

I'm actually not entirely sure that works all too well.

I don't mean to say that it has adverse effects, but see, last year I had bronchitis and I went to the doctor. He gave me a prescription, and recommended some vitamins. While I was there I decided to ask him if Vitamin C (he did not recommend that one) had any proved effects, to which he replied No, it hasn't really been proved to do anything.

He might be wrong, but I'm just putting it out there.

antimatter - most people get anough Vit, C from our diet. There's really not much evidence to show that excess Vit C helps. It could potentially damaage your kidneys if you take too much for too long a time... but for most 'over-users' you're just making your urine more expensive than it needs to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Living somewhere where you get food fresh rather than food that has ben stored for months. Recently, here in Oz, there was a study of apples supplied by a major super-market chain. They looked OK on the outside, but had been stored in controlled atmosphere an average of 6 months and had about 30% of the vitamin levels of fresh produce. Meat is now being looked at.

This is an issue of city living - the longer the transport chain the longer products are stored so there are reserve supplies.

Living somewhere where you get food fresh rather than food that has ben stored for months. Recently, here in Oz, there was a study of apples supplied by a major super-market chain. They looked OK on the outside, but had been stored in controlled atmosphere an average of 6 months and had about 30% of the vitamin levels of fresh produce. Meat is now being looked at.

This is an issue of city living - the longer the transport chain the longer products are stored so there are reserve supplies.

That's really interesting, I hadn't heard of that before, though when I think about it now it makes quite a lot of sense.

Do you think that meat has been affected?