Myths

Cap'n Refsmmat

All right: Post every myth you know here. I'd like to see how many people think they're true... :P

*this should be hilarious to watch

[*]If you drop a penny off the Empire State Building it could kill someone

[*]If you drop a hammer in before falling into the water it will save you.

[*]If you attach JATO rockets to your car it will go over 250 mph and lift off.

[*]Goldfish have a memory of 3 seconds.

[/list=1]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goldfish do have an extremely short memory; I believe the latest research is saying 15 seconds. It's not a myth.

I don't know what JATO rockets are... but if you attach big enough rockets to your car it will go 250mph; as for lifting off.. its just a question of aerodynamics.

fafalone said in post # :

Goldfish do have an extremely short memory; I believe the latest research is saying 15 seconds. It's not a myth.

Then how can you train one to ring a bell or go through a maze?

I don't know what JATO rockets are... but if you attach big enough rockets to your car it will go 250mph; as for lifting off.. its just a question of aerodynamics.

JATO= Jet Assisted Take Off. The legend is this guy attached two to his car and drove it in the desert, then hit a (while flying through the air) cliff and died. It never happened. On MythBusters they tried it. It didn't work. They only got to about 150 mph.

-Demosthenes- said (correctly:

If fact aren't those all from mythbusters?

Yes. :D

fafalone said in post # :

JATO stands for (if my memory serves me correctly) Jet Assisted Take Off. I think they're used on large planes when the runways are too short to give them an extra boost (otherwise they'd end up reaching the end of the runway and not take off).

Edit: Didn't see the explanation above. However, if you want to see the story (it's quite funny even though it didn't happen) check http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html.

Aspirin and Coke Cola gets you high!

it`s a load of crap, we did 24 aspirins each and a liter of coke, 2 hours later (much longer than the reccomended time) there was NO effect at all, we went off and had a few pints of beer after, THAT had an effect :))

trust me itz true, i work at the fire deparment and i have "tried" it many times :rolleyes:

really?

well on mythbusters it didn't work with ordinary spoons/forks/knives, nor did it work with aluminum foil. though aluminum foil makes nice arcs of electricity :D , especially if you fold a long piece into a thin "M" shape and put it in the microwave ;). (i have no idea how dangerous this is however :P)

really?

well on mythbusters it didn't work with ordinary spoons/forks/knives' date=' nor did it work with aluminum foil. though aluminum foil makes nice arcs of electricity :D , especially if you fold a long piece into a thin "M" shape and put it in the microwave ;). (i have no idea how dangerous this is however :P)[/quote']

Just don't touch it afterwards!

Aspirin and Coke Cola gets you high!

it`s a load of crap, we did 24 aspirins each and a liter of coke, 2 hours later (much longer than the reccomended time) there was NO effect at all, we went off and had a few pints of beer after, THAT had an effect :))

It used to work, but they changed the ingredients of Coke. It used to contain cocaine.

Pincho.