Being left handed

JHAQ

Recently I noticed that both McCaine & Obama were left handed . I also have noted that MANY Presidents are left handed too -- far out of proportion to the general population . Has any study been made of this & any speculation as to why ?

I remember having read articles (newspaper style, not research articles) claiming that left-handed people are over-represented in a lot of "extreme" groups, e.g. high intelligence, low intelligence, number of smokers, criminals, successful sportsmen (especially sports like fencing), ...

No guarantee on any of the mentioned groups, I just wanted to visualize that the overrepresentation is not only in "desirable" groups but also in "undesirable" ones. I suppose a lot of studies have been done on the statistical representation, I've never heard of a reason for it (with the exception of directly competitive sports, where the reason seems kind of obvious).

I've never heard of a reason for it

Because we are superior. When of high intelligence we are superior geniuses, when of low intelligence we are idiots of such staggering imbecility that righties can only look on in wonder.;)

Seriously now (not that I wasn't serious in my first post... ;P ) -

I heard a few times that left handed people are considered more "creative" but I've never seen any actual proof for it, other than claims that are supposed to support it that Einstein was left-handed... hardly enough for evidence, though.

Mooey, it wouldn't surprise me. Lefties live in a right handed world and have to learn to adapt to things that righties take for granted. One would imagine that this could lead to improved creativity.

Recently I noticed that both McCaine & Obama were left handed . I also have noted that MANY Presidents are left handed too -- far out of proportion to the general population . Has any study been made of this & any speculation as to why ?

The gene responsible for left handedness 'LRRTM1' is linked with certain mental disorders such as schizophrenia, perhaps there's a link there i.e you have to be at least slightly insane to have designs to be President of the US.

And of course it couldn't be small-sample statistics and confirmation bias. (other than some of the sports-related ones. Those, I think you could quantify, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true for cases where wrong left-handedness might give you an advantage)

Remember, Inigo Montoya and Westley only pretended to be left-handed.

Schizophrenia?? you mean I have bigger chance of schizophrenia? yes I do, no I don't, yes I do, no I --

yeah all joke aside, do you have resources for this, Snail? It's quite intriguing...

~moo

p.s:

Remember, Inigo Montoya and Westley only pretended to be left-handed.

..you mean they wished they WERE.

:P

do you have resources for this, Snail? It's quite intriguing...

Sure...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6923577.stm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070805141533.htm

I had a quick search through ‘science direct’, but the only relevant journal (specifically left handedness) dated back to 1993, perhaps somebody knows of something more current. As for the OP, mere correlation, I realize it's not a particularly serious thread, but I very much doubt there's any link to left handedness and the prerequisites to becoming President...as Swansont stated, too small a sample base.

• 2 weeks later...
It's an obvious fact that left handed people are smarter, more talented, beautiful people and that they are always right to balance off their left-handedness, because nature is about balance.

QED.

DAM RIGHT!

I have hear that quite often in iddentical twins one is right handed and the other is a lefty and that their finger prints are mirrored. I have a theory that all leftys were at one time a twin but are the stronger suviving one. I have no evidence to back this up as yet though.

I do everything left-handed exept using a mouse. I can write in mirror writing neater than left to right.

From my experiance leftys are more usually more creative, stronger and better in bed.

it`s extremely handy when I`m sawing wood and one arm gets tired, I can just switch over, or Soldering in awkward positions that don`t allow proper access to ordinary people, and it`s nice to be able to do 2 unrelated tasks at the same time that ordinary people would find hard to impossible.

Coquina (a Mod we used to have here) was exactly the same too.

I`m equi-manual so I get the best of both worlds, esp when it comes to Chinese food, I can use 2 pair of chopsticks at the same time :D

equi-manual... I like it. ambi-dextrus (hope I spelt that right) means double right or both right, the exact opposite of having 2 left feet.

I've never seen such a bunch of sinister people in my life!