Sci-Fi tech that may exist one day, or otherwise just really really like.

Reaper

Of all the technology and science ever conceived of by science fiction in the past 200 or so years, which do you think will actually come to past, may be used as a forerunner or idea to something more practical or much better, or may just remain science fiction but really really like?

Personally, I really like the Death Star. As impractical and probably unrealistic as it is, the fact that it can destroy a planet in one shot makes it pretty kick ass. But alas (or rather, fortunately) it will probably remain science fiction.

Other tech that I like that I do think will probably come to past within the next few decades or so is real, human-like artificial intelligence. Also, this exo-skeleton (yes, it actually does exist and it will be common soon...) is really cool --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSP46lWvxJ4&feature=related

I always liked the replicator technology of star trek. It would allow those with "nothing" to have all of the same things as those with "everything," and thus enable a pretty key component of utopian society.

Don't go off on me about utopia. Just recognize that replicator technology could have some heavily significant cascading effects.

Cheers.

Personally, I really like the Death Star. As impractical and probably unrealistic as it is, the fact that it can destroy a planet in one shot makes it pretty kick ass. But alas (or rather, fortunately) it will probably remain science fiction.

Death Star? We're already working on it. It's completely practical, the only questionable item on the list is the supermassive laser.

- Bryan

Did I also mention Ringworld too? Something like that is certainly feasible given an advanced enough civilization.

Star Wars' planetary shields could also be potentially possible some day (even if it turns out to be much weaker than it's Star Wars' counterpart, I do see useful applications in shielding large bodies, such as radiation protection or to defend against high velocity meteoroids).

I always liked the replicator technology of star trek. It would allow those with "nothing" to have all of the same things as those with "everything," and thus enable a pretty key component of utopian society.

Don't go off on me about utopia. Just recognize that replicator technology could have some heavily significant cascading effects.

Cheers.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of it. While I'm sure that, if we did actually create one or is certainly possible, it would certainly more than revolutionize manufacturing methods, the energy requirements seem a bit daunting, even if you decided to create an object the size of flea (but then, the Star Trek universe in general seems to have limitless supplies of energy available to them, and yet can't seem to use it to actually go into other galaxies....)

Cheers.

It would take massive energy - which would be more available to the rich. No matter how much resources we have, people still want more relative to others, IMO.

The Holideck(sp?) also from Star Trek would be awesome as well. As virtual reality approaches the resolution of the holideck, guilt free prostitution will provide much needed stress relief to the masses. :)

While I'm sure that, if we did actually create one or is certainly possible, it would certainly more than revolutionize manufacturing methods, the energy requirements seem a bit daunting, even if you decided to create an object the size of flea (but then, the Star Trek universe in general seems to have limitless supplies of energy available to them, and yet can't seem to use it to actually go into other galaxies....)

It would take massive energy -

Well... then I want sci-fi tech that makes energy abundant and available to all. Come on people... Am I the ONLY one really trying here?!? :rolleyes:

Was it dilithium crystals, or some matter/antimatter thing? Whatever... let's make that, too. :D

Well... then I want sci-fi tech that makes energy abundant and available to all. Come on people... Am I the ONLY one really trying here?!? :rolleyes:

Well, it's not so much the energy requirements that bother me, but the way it is depicted in Star Trek, and of course whether it would possibly be available on the ship itself. I tend to be a bit skeptical and rather uneasy with ALL Star Trek tech (especially in terms of practical use).... especially it's reliance on techno-babble.

Hell, I would argue that the technology in Star Trek tends to be rather shaky, unreliable, and/or obsolete by 21st Century standards; other than warp drive, the ship itself, or Data, there really isn't anything innovative or great about it. And, it did NOT predict any major technological/fundamental science advances, contrary to popular belief (The Borg, for example, were inspired by KNOWN tech advances at the time and by the ideas of people who actually did research in the field...)

==================================

And besides, Star Wars tech (or rather, the tech from most other sci-fi authors and T.V. shows for that matter) is way, way better, and IMO more imaginative. You don't necessarily need to include the Death Star to be convinced of this...

Was it dilithium crystals, or some matter/antimatter thing? Whatever... let's make that, too. :D

It's some "plasma conduit" I think. The crystals themselves only allow you to control the reactions. In any case, I don't feel like searching for the appropriate term used.

LMAO!

====================================

For those of you interested, here is a comprehensive critique of Star Trek tech and engineering (star trek in general also):

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/Engineering.html

Ladies and gentlemen' date=' Star Trek engineering is [i']idiot[/i] engineering. If real-life technology were routinely designed this way, we would be extinct. The writers of Star Trek may wax poetic about their renowned chief engineers, but the way the ship is designed, their engineers must be morons. Worst of all, this flying disaster-in-waiting is supposedly the product of the finest engineers the Federation has to offer.

Of course, I know that some smart aleck out there is thinking "well, if you were a writer, how would you do it? How are you supposed to create drama and tension if the technology never fails?" My answer is that there are ways to create drama and tension in sci-fi without using technology that resembles a house of cards, and you need look no further than Star Wars, Babylon 5, or numerous Japanese animé series to see the proof.

A real hard one (which doesn't sound hard at first untill you think about it) would be the universal translator! (in star trek) Sounds easy if you know the languages to translate - but could a computer translate a NEVER BEFORE heard alien language? Answer is no way, as they have no starting point to calibrate from - doesn't matter how good the technology, a never heard before lanuague comprised of gutteral sounds and clicks could not be translated to English instantly by a computer. However, allowing them their artistic licence - it is still a great idea and a cracking series. :)

Well... then I want sci-fi tech that makes energy abundant and available to all. Come on people... Am I the ONLY one really trying here?!?

To hear is to obey.

*Okay, read then. Satisfied? Mumble, mumble...bloody pedants...mumble mumble*

I want the matter to energy converter of H. Beam Piper.

Throw your, um, rubbish in and convert it 99.99% to energy then pipe the energy to the replicator where it is recombined into matter. (Of a different and no doubt tastier type.):D

• 1 month later...

I think the Death Star would be a great invention, that is, in the right hands.

But then again, 'right' is a relative term, some of us like the Empire, while some enjoy the freedoms of the Galactic Republic.

I think that an antimatter weapon would be a brilliant invention, but so far, that's a near impossible task.

Teleportation is somewhere in the near future though.