on psych meds. studying for college, memory is horrible, can it get better ?

lostinspace

i was studying math tonight and found that i would forget what the key concepts being taught were about and had to reread the past to try and refresh my memory. i think i need assistance improving my memory because its just so horrible. i do take psych meds, have for the past 12 years. risperdal, trazodone, and prolixin.

i would appreciate any help you can offer i realize that when i grow old my memory might be a big problem.

thank you

It is possible that your meds are affecting your memory. You should mention this to your doctor.

The best thing you can do to improve your ability to recall, other than getting rest and a good diet, is to practice memory activities. Consistency of environment helps, too; people tend to remember facts that they associate with a certain environment. Associating items you need to memorize with something else also helps in recollection. There are lots of self-help books on improving recall.

Everyone would like to have a better memory. Maybe you should take a healthy few minute break and then try to study some more.?

That said, the drugs you are taking appear to have a long list of potential side effects. Including but not limited to memory.

For example,

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-9846-Risperdal+Oral.aspx?drugid=9846&drugname=Risperdal+Oral&pagenumber=6

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-11188-Trazodone.aspx?drugid=11188&drugname=Trazodone&pagenumber=6

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6222-Prolixin.aspx?drugid=6222&drugname=Prolixin&pagenumber=6

Of course, the benefits of these medication(s) may far outweigh any potential side effects.

You certainly should discuss the memory issue and any other risks vs benefits of your medication with your doctor.

i was studying math tonight and found that i would forget what the key concepts being taught were about and had to reread the past to try and refresh my memory. i think i need assistance improving my memory because its just so horrible. i do take psych meds, have for the past 12 years. risperdal, trazodone, and prolixin.

i would appreciate any help you can offer i realize that when i grow old my memory might be a big problem.

thank you

I've had problems like this too! And I had a difficult period till I found the way to remember things better! I mean, I even couldn't remember the title of the lesson I was supposed to learn! But then I just decided to have fun! Not to kill myself trying to learn all the stuffs and staying late at night learning math physics or whatever! And I came to a easier method to remember things. Try to link hard things with images! Those things which you find hard to remember just make up a story about them, or try to find something funny that might have any connection with the subject and you'll remember! It worked fine by me! For example, when we learned about active transport I just couldn't help to remember how does sodium come inside from outside. But after seeing the image (the one I found on google) it looked very much like a man falling from a ladder, so every time when it comes to active transport the falling man from the ladder comes to my mind and I can perfectly recall active transport!

It might look very silly to someone, but this was very helpful to me:D !

As in the other thread you posted in "lost", there are newer options, and sometimes combinations of antipsychotics or combinations with a mood-stabiliser are the way to go depending on the exact nature of your condition. For specific advice you need to talk the issues over with your treating doctor, or seek a second opinion if you can't do that for some reason.

Everyone would like to have a better memory. Maybe you should take a healthy few minute break and then try to study some more.?

That said, the drugs you are taking appear to have a long list of potential side effects. Including but not limited to memory.

For example,

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-9846-Risperdal+Oral.aspx?drugid=9846&drugname=Risperdal+Oral&pagenumber=6

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-11188-Trazodone.aspx?drugid=11188&drugname=Trazodone&pagenumber=6

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6222-Prolixin.aspx?drugid=6222&drugname=Prolixin&pagenumber=6

Of course, the benefits of these medication(s) may far outweigh any potential side effects.

You certainly should discuss the memory issue and any other risks vs benefits of your medication with your doctor.

I agree.

and it looks like the Risperdal is the suspect.

• 1 month later...
I've had problems like this too! And I had a difficult period till I found the way to remember things better! I mean, I even couldn't remember the title of the lesson I was supposed to learn! But then I just decided to have fun! Not to kill myself trying to learn all the stuffs and staying late at night learning math physics or whatever! And I came to a easier method to remember things. Try to link hard things with images! Those things which you find hard to remember just make up a story about them, or try to find something funny that might have any connection with the subject and you'll remember! It worked fine by me! For example, when we learned about active transport I just couldn't help to remember how does sodium come inside from outside. But after seeing the image (the one I found on google) it looked very much like a man falling from a ladder, so every time when it comes to active transport the falling man from the ladder comes to my mind and I can perfectly recall active transport!

It might look very silly to someone, but this was very helpful to me:D !

Even if you don't doing that just drawing the idea in the shape of a diagram normally helps a lot because you will be able to remember what it looked like and then you will have a grounding by knowing everything that is there, you just have to remember what the items are called.

• 2 months later...

For much of my late teenage years I was on several psych. medications, mainly antidepressants and atypical antipsychotics. I had an extremely hard time with memory and cognition. I would find that I absolutely could not focus and memorize anything that was even slightly difficult. It was almost as if I was in a drug-induced haze all the time. I have since been taken off all medications and my memory is back the way it was before I took those medications. Something that is a bit disturbing about the whole thing was the fact that I remember more details about my life before I was on medications than the time while I was on them. It is almost like there is a gap in my memory, only smudged, inconsistent memories. I hope to never have to take them again.

• 11 months later...

thank you

If you're having problem with your memory, I recommend you practice visualization and method of loci. As a last resort - rote memory.

Memory is like a muscle, the more you practice it the better it will be. :3

Pm me if you need help with method of loci or rote memory. ^^,