Urine Purification filters?

Hbud

Hello all!

?

If urine were passed through a medium...a filter of some sort....would it produce filtered urine? would the urine still be conciderd urine? I want to find

out if urine can be voided through a filter and cleaned of toxins or markers that could be used as information for a case of genetic discrimination against

the person making pee pee in the cup.:cool:

I guess that would depend on 1) the definition of urine, and 2) what type of filter was used (in essence, what was removed by the liquid passing through it)?

Genetic discrimination? Can you elaborate? I'm just curious. I really don't understand what you are asking, but perhaps someone else here will know oodles of info on this subject.

I do know that you can distill it and drink it. Saw it on Survivorman. He was in the desert one week, dug a basketball sized hole, peed in it several times, covered it in plastic with a cup within, and then the sunlight evaporated pure water from the urine which collected on the plastic and dripped back into the cup. Good knowledge to have. Sorry... I'm rambling.

Quick answer? Anything which first passes through a filter is itself considered filtered.

[

"Genetic discrimination? Can you elaborate? I'm just curious. I really don't understand what you are asking, but perhaps someone else here will know oodles of info on this subject".

ok...an example would be....A medical marijuana patients Insurance company cancels the insured policy because THC was found using genetic testing....or simply....how do americans protect thier privacy rights when peeing in a cup?>:D

To filter a urine sample of any genetic markers, toxins or other chemicals, would need an extremely good filter. We're talking at least dialysis quality. The result would be pretty much just water. Anybody testing it would know it was not 'straight' urine.

High doses of Ionising radiation would probably make most of the genetic material unreadable and still leave the soln as urine.

but as for Filtering say with a molecular sieve, as Glider said it would come out as water more or less, and would certainly take time to do unless you had vacuum apparatus with you.

Are you refering to "discrimination" in the form of insurance rates or insurability?

"Toxins" and genetic discrimanation?

Although it is possible and can be done, most genetic testing does not utilize urine. It is much more easily accomplished with blood, hair, cheek scrapings or even spit. DNA extraction and amplification from urine can be expensive and maybe not all that accurate because urine is clean when it leaves the kidneys and the only (or most of the) DNA present would be from cells sloughed off as the urine flows through the urinary tract.....all genetic testing is pretty expensive. Can you point me to a specific case where this is being done (for "discriminatory" purposes)? I'd like to learn more about it if it is occuring.

PS: if you want to try to pass a pee test for drug use, you'd be better off with a warm (exactly 98.6 deg) bag of your clean friend's juice.....but that is hard to get away with, since they like to watch. as mentioned by someone else above, an unusually clean liquid without the usual markers and background signals would set the bells off.

What does discrimination against people who take canabis have to do with genetics?

You could filter THC out of urine fairly specifically but it would take quite a lot of R and D to get it to work. You would be talking about molecular imprinting of polymers or some such.

Even if you culd get that technology sorted out there would still be the practical problem of explaining "hang on while I filter my urine sample through this suspiciuos gadget" when you gave the sample.

It migt be easier to stay within the law.