Need help generating gravity

Aliasalpha

For a story that is. I'm writing a short story set on mars and I want a gravity generator that works inside the domed cities so I don't have to deal with low gravity conditions. I plan to have a scene or 2 outside the domes so I can use low gravity conditions but for the majority I want near earth gravity.

Effectively want I want is magic that works only in the domes, I don't need anything super technical since I plan to gloss over it but I'd like something that's not totally implausible.

Well it would be relatively simple (and scientifically plausible) to use superdense matter (i.e. from a collapsed star, or more likely since its on Mars a new method for collapsing matter) buried reasonably far under the surface to increase the gravity...

well.this is fictional dosent have to be plauseable....

"I don't need anything super technical since I plan to gloss over it but I'd like something that's not totally implausible"

yea i guess i like the superdense material one the best......it leaves alot for the imagination

yeah, super dense seems the way to go.

but since it`s fiction" and I`m not certain if mars has magentic poles or not, but another idea to play with might be a huge super conducting magnet in the core using the polar ice caps for the "chill factor" and each resident on mars takes a shot of a ferro-magnetic alloy that binds to cellular proteins and simulates gravity by magnetic pull, that way you can play about with the idea off worlders that havent has that shot and have seemingly super human strength and all manor of adventures can take place from there :)

hey, it`s just a few ideas :)

No, check this. Race track style rotating surface. That way the gravity is increased but nobody can go in the middleof the domes, just the portions that are tipped upwards. Mars' natural gravity and centripital force would work together in this case and the physics have already been proven on car test tracks.

OTHERWISE

Have a series of particle accellerators underneath the domes. These extremely advanced accellerators would be used to send streams of Tritium (the heaviest of the hydrogen isotopes... it doesnt really matter.. the point is its HEAVY and tritium sounds good) in circles under the domes. With the tritium reaching near light speeds it would create strong gravitational fields because of the density of the atoms becoming greater.

This way you could add or subtract particles to adjust the ammount of gravity or have part of the accellerator become destroyed so only a small portion loses the gravitational pull.

alt_f13 said in post # :

With the tritium reaching near light speeds it would create strong gravitational fields because of the density of the atoms becoming greater.

gravity isn't related to density, only mass and distance. but, increased relative mass might affect gravity (i don't know). so this could still work.

yea well what if you speed up the speed of the mars orbit and make it gain gravity that way.......you would need some serious boost for this though.........it could be done by mars gettin pushed by a explosion like a supernova up its tail but that would through it of course and we only got one sun.........

NSX said in post # :

m :alpha: :rho:

i don't know what that means, can you explain?

i assume m is mass. :alpha: could be acceleration. i have no idea what :rho: could be though.

is this m X :alpha: X :rho: = strength of gravity?

I think I might go with the superdense matter. Hmm, there's a thought, I was planning to make a pretty major city inside the domes so it'd have the skyscrapers regular cities have (I think I've just decided to call them Domescrapers though), would the gravity extend far enough to cover the top floors? It might make an interesting scene to have lower gravity on the top floors.

it would be a little lower, but only by 1000`th of a gram or so. the same rules would apply there as they do on Earth if you went with super dense matter.

indeed you weigh a little less ontop of Mt Everest than you do at sea level, but you wouldn`t notice it :)

iglak said in post # :

i don't know what that means, can you explain?

i assume m is mass. :alpha: could be acceleration. i have no idea what :rho: could be though.

is this m X :alpha: X :rho: = strength of gravity?

The alpha is a very crude version of the symbol meaning 'proportional to'.

Mass is proportional to density.

A different idea may be to create a magnetic field beneath the city and have everyday things doped in a given percentage of metal, cups,boots clothing.

foods & drink would have to be accounted for. However g on mars is half of earths, and so wouldn't be like bouncing around on the moon. I would think it would be considerably more controlable. Perhaps diet and the like have been adjusted for life on mars. ex. water being kept in a gelatinus state.

rjbowlin said in post # :

A different idea may be to create a magnetic field beneath the city and have everyday things doped in a given percentage of metal, cups,boots clothing.

foods & drink would have to be accounted for. However g on mars is half of earths, and so wouldn't be like bouncing around on the moon. I would think it would be considerably more controlable. Perhaps diet and the like have been adjusted for life on mars. ex. water being kept in a gelatinus state.

More trouble than it's worth.

its irrelevant to the story, but you have to manufacture it in the spot you wanted it to remain(remember this is to increase the overall gravity of mars) so its safe to say you wouldnt walk up to a star and pocket the superdense matter

BTW what is the most dense stable matter at the moment