Best science educational toys in your life

dichotomy

Is there a thread on what people thought were some of the better science educational toys that they used in their lives?

I'm thinking Lego, mechano, chemistry sets, electronic sets, seamonkey's etc?

I know some marketing names will differ from nation to nation, but the internet should solve those names.

cheers.

Is there a thread on what people thought were some of the better science educational toys that they used in their lives?

I'm thinking Lego, mechano, chemistry sets, electronic sets, seamonkey's etc?

I know some marketing names will differ from nation to nation, but the internet should solve those names.

cheers.

There is now.

Dead animals.

Ants.

Broken lawnmowers. Broken radios. Broken anything I could take apart.

Then there was salt peter, carbon, and sulfur......

How extraordinarily resourceful. 3 stars…

I forgot the creek! Turning over rocks and using a net to catch crawdads, salamanders, minnows, etc....so they could be "studied".

Great biology lessons.

Plus reproductive physiology games that the dogs and other farm animals played. They let me watch.

And did you know that a firecracker won't kill a crawdad ?

I had a few chemistry sets when I was young. They were fun, but what I really really liked were the legos, erector set (I'm surprised nobody said that yet), this radio shack electronics kit, pretty much anything requiring assembly or disassembly- old/broken toys, radios, electronics.

i can't think of any one thing.

pretty much, if i could suitably abuse it to observe various principles at work, it became scientific. lego was one of those versatile things that could be used repeatedly. aquarium equipment gave me fairly high vacuums to toy around with.

i really don't know if there's any "best" science ed toys. an inquisitive mind will appropriate anything for it's purposes but lego was definately the most versatile until they put stories to the kits

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

In addition to a couple of things already mentioned ...a modular electronics set, where the blocks had images of the component on their upper surface with conducting plates on their sides connected to the component, behind which were magnets that would make them stick to other blocks (and conduct through the plates), to make all sorts of circuits. Can't remember the name.

In addition to a couple of things already mentioned ...a modular electronics set, where the blocks had images of the component on their upper surface with conducting plates on their sides connected to the component, behind which were magnets that would make them stick to other blocks (and conduct through the plates), to make all sorts of circuits. Can't remember the name.