Witricity

stormwarrior

Can you imagine wireless energy. I am a devoted follower of Tesla and his mad scientist approach to electricity. The man was absolutely a genius and his invention never came to light. Well, until august 17 2007 when a light bulb was remotely ,7 feet away, illuminated by witricity. Witricity is Wireless electricity and the distance though only 7 feet was successful.Time will see greater distances and advances in remote electricity.

Tesla claimed to be able to remotely wirelessly light a field of lightbulbs 15 miles from the generator! How great a feat is that. The man was proven to be a genius by many of his theories come reality for instance alternating current. Though, his theoryused in this witricity experiment I must say was much more successful! On august 17th 2007 ,more then 100 years after Teslas death, a use for wireless electricity became needed and his ingenius mind set the next scienctific breakthrough into motion.Technology and science walking hand in hand! How much better will witricity become. Time will tell! Get ready to be unplugged!

Google witricity and you will find the source!

C S S

I heard about this on the radio about a month ago (NPR's Science Friday show), and the motivation was one that I think a lot of us can sympathize with. The original researcher was annoyed that his cell phone battery would die, and the phone would chirp in the middle of the night to alert the guy that its battery was dying. And he thought, why can't this be recharged without having to remember to actually plug it in.

It's a good idea, but I actually don't see being too commonplace for household items. The trouble is the field that is generated, it will destroy a lot of electronic information that gets between the generators, like credit cards or hard drives.

It's use will most likely be to power measuring devices that it would be impossible or very difficult to run a power line to it: something like a temperature probe in the middle of a reactor -- the probe may be resilient enough to survive the environment, but the wire to it may not be.

much the same way that 50 years ago computers were ridiculously inefficient.

as per the damage to other devices, I can see this being a problem but only until it is further designed and and debugged. I find it fascinating that it will be able to recharge different sources by passing through it. There will be safeguards im sure and things will advance in efficient means and ways much the same way computers went from warehouse sized ineffective to smaller then the palm of my hand in the last 50 or so years.

The idea and application of this technological advance are sound, now the implementing and advancement of this technology need to become sound.

I believe that PopSci did an article on something like this. It was a wireless charger, for PDAs, cell phones, y'know, that kind of stuff. It worked, but it had to be in a certain range. It used radio waves if I remember correctly... Not sure. But I think the items being charged needed an adapter for it.

much the same way that 50 years ago computers were ridiculously inefficient

No, not in the same way, actually. I mean inefficient literally, in that you put in much more energy than you get out. It's a fundamental problem. The best you could do would be with directed beams (i.e., lasers), but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about.

Sisyphus is right about it being inefficient but I don't think that makes it a bad idea.

You can actually get power off radio waves right now. They sell a radio that is powered completely by radio waves. It has a huge intina* though to collect power.

*Holy crap how do you spell that word lol

You can actually get power off radio waves right now. They sell a radio that is powered completely by radio waves. It has a huge intina* though to collect power.

Antenna? (you can spell Sapir-Whorf hypothesis but not antenna? :))

Transistor radios were powered by RF exclusively (in the days before widespread distribution of batteries) and represented the first practical portable radios aimed at your average consumer, in the early 20th century

I can't wait for someone to get this system up and running on a commercial basis. I will explain to my neighbour that it's a really great idea and that he really needs to get it installed.

Then I will steal his electricity.

Or, to put it another way, I forsee a problem with this technology.

"Transistor radios were powered by RF exclusively (in the days before widespread distribution of batteries) and represented the first practical portable radios aimed at your average consumer, in the early 20th century"

Sure about that?