What's Reputation

And why do I have ``63''? I presume it is because I made some relevant point somewhere in some discussion, but how is it quantized? I seem to recall starting with 10? And 63-10 is 53, which is prime, so it tells me that it is not simply quantized.

And is there a graph somewhere that's number of members vs. reputation?

the more Rep someone has, the more they can Give.

I`ve had rep points from some that had none and it added nothing to my count, I think the system is still not 100% ironed out, but that`s what it is basically.

it`s a way to be NICE to people and show appreciation :)

and we could do some more Nice around the place ;)

And why do I have ``63'' [rep points]? I presume it is because I made some relevant point somewhere in some discussion, ...

I bet against that. You can see which posts you were given rep points somewhere under "User CP". Speaking for me, it's all been spam posts or one-liners that people gave me reputation points for :D.

Reputation points are given by members for whatever reason they have giving them. This can be thinking a post was a valuable contribution (by whatever criteria) or for simply thinking "nice post, it made me laugh". Assuming that people have the tendency to remember people they gave points to better, the term "reputation points" seems to fit. I don't get your point about primes and quantization. Integer numbers are obviously quantized.

I don't get your point about primes and quantization. Integer numbers are obviously quantized.

Well, I started with 10. Now I have 63. I was working under the assumption that when someone gave you reputation, everyone gave an equal amount. So dividing up 53 reputation points can only be done two ways---1 point 53 times (unlikely) and 53 points 1 time (equally unlikely).

But aparently it is weighted by reputation or total posts or something, so this makes everything clear.

I have 14 but i only have one reputation comment someone once left about one of my posts. I'm not sure how i can have 14 with just one comment and you had 10 at some point but i guess it can happen. and i'm not really sure how to give those out either. or where they came from in the first place. if you need someone to give them out and the more you have the more you can give then we need to follow the law of conservation of rep points and wonder where they all came from in the first place. moderators?

or, do i give my own points away when i give some out? or do i just get a better maximum to conjure new points?

nice, you'll be famous soon? i'm just a decent person. :-(

ooooooh :doh: i found how to do. it it's the scale on the top right of posts.

BenTheMan: That's just a textual representation of your reputation number. Instead of showing your number, vB shows a little phrase to say that people like you.

someguy: you don't give them out by giving your points out to others. You just add points to other people using the scales icon. (Everyone started with 10 points.) There will be reputation inflation, but that can be corrected for eventually.

The system is based on "reputation power," how many points you can give other people, and those are based on your number of points and your postcount and time spent on SFN.

I have already adjusted the system so people should be fairly equal in reputation power, by making the system want 1000 posts before awarding another reputation power point, etc.

You also cannot give points to the same person twice in a row.

From this thread: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26187

LOL..."Spyman is on a distinguished road"...

Ooooh, now I am on a distinguished road.
... with an enormous lorry bearing down on you, air-horn blaring. I think the driver wants to perform a physics experiment involving impact, acceleration and freefall. We'll need to know your mass, mate. ;)