Twitter

-Demosthenes-

Yes, it's by Odeo author Evan Williams (Odeo was a direct competitor of ours before they wound up in the Web 2.0 deadpool)

Very popular in Silicon Valley, not much popular elsewhere.

But beware, you're basically selling your information for advertising statistics.

• 2 years later...

I've heard a lot of people say that Twitter helped save the Iranian people.

I think they have it backwards... The Iranian people helped save Twitter.

I think it's one of those technologies that is going to burn bright, but burn out fast, but it does help demonstrate the importance social networking via technology is playing in our current society.

OMG! iNow sez u tweeters r stoopid, n wnt lst. Btw, I jst 8 sum protn shake. D-lish. :doh:

I like twitter but almost all of my colleagues and friends have an affinity to it. It is successful in terms of media attention but one people start to use it, they tend to realise that they either don't see a use for it or don't quite understand it.

Facebook was the only thing I used for social whatever, and that was only because I was begged to try it.

That's all I need to use inorder to leave messages to people that are not phone worthy.

TBH I do not "get" most online social networking thingies. I lack the desire to present myself in facebook or something similar (though I understand the value of professional sites like linkedin). I am pretty occupied with may email inbox already (especially before exams...sigh). Guess that is how getting old feels. But as long as my lab machines love me I won't feel alone.

Another reason to be embarrassed to be American.

First, twitter is not just an american phenomenon, as evidenced by its recent usage among Iranian protestors.

Second, I think that the OP should, in fact, be quite proud... Having started this thread more than 2 years ago. He was obviously WAY ahead of the curve on noticing this technology before pretty much anyone else, and deserves credit for that.

I think it's pretty useless *for me*, but I've noticed a number of new forms of technology arise in recent years that don't seem particularly useful to me but are apparently useful to other folks. And I don't mean sporting equipment for sports I don't play, I mean stuff that's intended for general use. Examples seem to run the gamut from Amazon Kindle to Segway scooters.

Oddly enough, some technologies seem to find their way into my ownership later on, either because of adoption by friends/family, or just because a need or interest arises at a later time. Examples of this (for me) have included smart phones, Facebook and music games (ala Guitar Hero).

So while I see little value in Twitter at the moment (other than the political implications iNow brought up regarding Iran, which I also thought was interesting), I'm much more hesitant to dismiss it than I might have been a couple of years ago.

No matter how things change, the rate of change keeps increasing.

Twitter is something you have to use to really get, I think. I could ramble off a number of the different use cases I've seen, but that'd probably be boring. If you can find ways to integrate it into your life it's a very powerful tool.

And people who use it well, get lots of benefits from it, from traffic to sites to networking and exposure, and acknowledgement of brands and PR.

I'm on, and i'm personally having fun. If you want, tweet me up: @mooeypoo