A simple homemade Atomic Reactor

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol damn i knew i should have read the thread....

anyway back to my queries;

are these bigger than the largest 'daisy cutter' type bomb which claimed to be the biggest non nuclear device in the film 'outbreak'.

Grandslam was a 10' date='000 pounder right? used all the time in WW2; for that reason i suggest it might not be the biggest.

Does a V3 exist? or other such IRBMs

or what about glow in the dark paint for a radium source?[/quote']

how about the actual calorific values of the explosives used though? the old GSX types aren`t a match for modern Hi Ex. the shell casing`s really a moot point as well for such devices, it`s the Boom Boom material weight and calorific value that counts.

that then would beg the question, WHY so much research and effort has been involved in this latest weapon? when they could quite easily replicate a dozen or more of the old "biggest bomb" in a day or 2?

Because the old ones don't have guidance. You can't fit a JDAM unit to it, because it is far too big. You must build a custom guidance, and that takes up space, meaning less explosives.

It would, however, be a rather nasty (powerful, not bad) weapon to drop from a B-52. MOAB only can be dropped from a cargo plane, so the Grand Slam is more versatile.

and also, its much easier to just drop a small bomb, or launch a small missile somewhere than to start dropping some multiple-thousand pound bomb..... [thats small is relatively]! plus, the guidance system,

also, you could never make one of the old 'big-bombs' into a missile and launch it from miles and miles away........ whereas one of the modern day, small-but-big-explosion bombs... could be turned to a missile and laucnhed from a small van!

--

after that comes shoulder launched nukes, or sumin

--

then nuclear pellets or sumin, which are ammo for guns!

--

by which time, the missiles will be better, maybe hydrogen [already produced]or sumin new!

• 3 months later...
and before anyone complains about this post, I have express permission to post it! :)

here`s how to build your own atomic reactor exploiting the decay principals and it`s physical effects.

ALL radioactive isotopes with a high enough decay rate exhibit the physical effect of being several degrees warmer than their ambient temperature, Radium will always be 1 degree C above it`s ambient temp.

the principal is simple, put enough radium into a thermos vacuum flask and fill it with boiling water, the water will gradualy get hotter and create steam. that steam may them be used to drive a small fan (turbine) and in turn a that rotation will turn a small generator ( a little stepper or DC motor shaft).

but where do you get Radium from????

easy :)

goto old secong hand shops or antique shops, buy clocks with luminous dials (they used radium salts in the old ones)

an old aircraft graveyard, the cockpit dials were also radium painted on 1960`s and backwards aircraft.

up untill the late 70`s, some of the 1`st LCD watches had a radium light backlight also. it`ll take some time to find a good source sure, oh yeah, old army surpluss equipment had radium painted dials too :)

use you head, think OLD and Luminous, owning a little geiger counter that you can build in kit form or buy second hand off ebay will be a great help for sure, but not a definate requirement :)

you`ll need enough to roughly quarter fill the flask, the rest is water and a little gap for the steam. those are the bare bone basics anyway, I may post alternative methods later including thermocouples and valve solenoids from old washing machines so the water can be topped up automaticaly as the level drops in the flask (I`ll include the electronics needed too), Enjoy, and happy hunting :)

Do u know how I could make a solar energy generator I like that idea a little more I like my hair and radiation kinda freaks me out lol

About the radium atomic reactor thingie, I'd imagine that 1g of radium-226 should do the trick nicely, as its disintegration rate is 3.7 * 10^10 disintegrations per second. :o And if someone doesn't know, that's the definition of a curie, as I mentioned in another thread. :P

About the radium atomic reactor thingie, I'd imagine that 1g of radium-226 should do the trick nicely, as its disintegration rate is 3.7 * 10^10 disintegrations per second. :o And if someone doesn't know, that's the definition of a curie, as I mentioned in another thread. :P

Since the Q value of the reaction is 4.871 MeV, that's 28.8 mW (more accurate number than my prior back-of-the envelope calculation that I gave before), so 1 g will not do much for you, as I pointed out earlier in this thread.

agreed you`de certainly need several tens of grams for anything like a "workable" model, and losses have to be factored in also.

but 50g in the bottom of a flask wouldn`t ocupy that much space in a 1 litre thermos flask as the radium is quite dense :)

this idea isn`t and NEVER WAS intended for anyone to actualy build either, it was purely a concept based on simple physics that I considered interesting because of it`s simplicty :)

a resonable one would power an LED for as long as you live and a GOOD one would run a small battery radio for just as long (and beyond).

Heh, I at least realized it was just a concept, as it's hard for anyone to get even a gram of pure radium. :P

Btw, as I remembered this is the thread that brought me here in the first place, the Radioactive Boyscout came to mind. :) And from that comes to mind U-233: Does someone know how much energy is released in fission of such a nucleus? Not that I'm going to build a similar apparatus as David Hahn did. :)

"About 200 MeV."

Yipes! About how much of that goes to the released neutrons (when there are 4)? Or is it a rather random amount?

On average, neutrons get about 2 MeV each. The bulk of the released energy goes into KE of the fission fragments.

the moab is intended to clear jungles for landing fields. its not intended as a frontline weapon of war.

also what really frightens me is the fact that our (americans) military is developing small nuclear weapons (>1kiloton) for use as bunker busting warheads

Yup, I can see how that would Bust some Bunkers! :(

didn`t they get into enough trouble using depleted Uranium shells in the 1`st gulf war, with Civillian action taken against them.

SC technology is already cappable of doing the job, why use nukes? :(

you`re right, it IS a disturbing thought!