Extremely important information

Dave

So, some of you may have noticed some fairly substantial changes over the last few hours, and hopefully in this post I'll try to outline the major changes. We're now running the latest version of vBulletin (3.6.1), but please let me know if you encounter problems as, inevitably, some will crop up.

The most obvious change has been the front page - as in, it no longer exists. We decided to take it down since it really isn't required anymore for the site to function properly. We wanted people to be able to come straight to the forums, without getting confused as to what SFN might be about. From now on, you can access SFN through http://www.scienceforums.net/, so remember to update your bookmarks!

Secondly, the Philosophy and Religion forum has been closed. I'm extremely tired now and I don't really have the time to make a proper post on this, but needless to say that a better explanation will be offered at some point tomorrow. We'll also update you on alternative arrangements for those who wish to continue debating religious topics amongst the SFN community.

There are numerous interface changes for you all; the most noticable in my opinion is the new 'multi-quote' button. Click this button for all of the posts that you wish to quote, and then press the 'Reply' button. All of the posts should be quoted appropriately in the text-box.

The warning system is undergoing a major overhaul at the moment, and as of this very second isn't currently enabled. However, we do still have the power to ban from the forums, so don't start misbehaving just yet!

We have a number of major changes that are still in the sidelines, and there's still a lot of work to be done clearing up from the changes made today. So please bear with us as we work through all this, as in the end I hope SFN will be much better for it.

Thanks!

Just as a note about the warning system - to those of you who previously had warning points, you no longer do. We're switching warning systems (for the better) and we're wiping the slate clean. Hopefully, this is for the better - everybody now has a second chance.

Sorry for the disruptions.

Also, sorry about some of your avatars - it seems our avatar gallery was lost.

I nominate Dave in the category "worst chosen thread topic september". Perhaps you have a good spam filter but many people automatically ignore/delete messages titled "Extremely important information".

...not when they come from people I know.

Is there anyways a page with functionality like the home page could be added?

I understand that it's confusing to new users if they are initially presented with the old home page that includes this summary of recent posts. However, I'm sure many of use found it very useful to track popular discussion. Could you not include something simular called a recent post page or something on those lines, and just not make it the default home page?

I'm not sure where this belongs, so sorry if it's it the wrong forum or if it belongs in a thread i missed.

Anyway, I am creating this thread to bring up points about the changes to the forums that I really don't like.

1. The home page.

Dave (I think it was Dave, at least) said that the home page was taken out because people come here to see the forums. I disagree. I actually like the home page; it was a collection of everything you needed (except the forum list) on the website. It was very dissapointing when I came here yesterday and all I could get to is the Forum Index. Please, let's just hold a discussion about what should go on it and where, and possibly bringing it back.

2. Debates.

What the heck happenned to the debate forum? I mean, I know it was unpopular, but I had a plan to spark an interest on SFN.

3. News Team.

Ahhh! What happened to the News Team?! As I have returned from my idle state on SFN, I plan to start posting news again, and I loved the system of the News Team. Ugh...

A final statement.

Recently, I have noticed that the overall quality of SFN has gone down. There is not as much science, and it's been replaced by sarcasm. Sarcasm's fun, but it belongs in General Discussion and Chat, not mixed in with evolution topics.

I really hope the forum changes will bring SFN back so I can enjoy wasting my time on the computer once more.

-herpguy

1. The home page.

Dave (I think it was Dave, at least) said that the home page was taken out because people come here to see the forums. I disagree. I actually like the home page; it was a collection of everything you needed (except the forum list) on the website. It was very dissapointing when I came here yesterday and all I could get to is the Forum Index. Please, let's just hold a discussion about what should go on it and where, and possibly bringing it back.

Tell us - what do you consider "everything you needed"? If there's something we can add, we'll do it. The portal was just a rather clunky system that wasn't very inviting to newcomers.

2. Debates.

What the heck happenned to the debate forum? I mean, I know it was unpopular, but I had a plan to spark an interest on SFN.

Lack of interest. A few months ago I actually spent the time to go through all the challenges and PM those involved about running their debate, and not one was interested.

3. News Team.

Ahhh! What happened to the News Team?! As I have returned from my idle state on SFN, I plan to start posting news again, and I loved the system of the News Team. Ugh...

We no longer have a portal, so there's no real need for it. Feel free to continue posting in the News Forum anyways... we just don't need the editorial process because we don't have to worry about them showing up on the home page.

A final statement.

Recently, I have noticed that the overall quality of SFN has gone down. There is not as much science, and it's been replaced by sarcasm. Sarcasm's fun, but it belongs in General Discussion and Chat, not mixed in with evolution topics.

We've noticed too, and trust me, we're just as disappointed.

I really hope the forum changes will bring SFN back so I can enjoy wasting my time on the computer once more.

The best thing is to keep giving us more feedback and criticism. We'll only get better if you keep telling us what you think we're doing wrong.

Also why can you only look at new posts since your last visit, not new post in the last day/24 hours/week etc.

I think that was broken in the upgrade. I'll ask dave to look into putting it back.

Tell us - what do you consider "everything you needed"? If there's something we can add, we'll do it. The portal was just a rather clunky system that wasn't very inviting to newcomers.

I especially liked how it had the new posts and the news if it was updated more often. Also, I liked the stats even though it wasn't very important.

So if it's possible, just a small box on the side of the Forum Index to show the new posts would make me happy.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize the stats were on the forum Index.

I know how to view the new posts, it was just easier to have it all right there.

I'll give up on the portal idea seeing how it is apparently inconvenient for almost everyone else.

I no longer know how to navigate the site or find how to make a new post . The forum index has gone & is to me a big loss as are the sites on religion & philosophy . I have also had several posts ignored w/o explanation . HELP !!

I no longer know how to navigate the site

The structure is the same as every other default installation of Vb ever. Where is the problem? You have the "home" link in the top navigation bar, which gives you a list of all the forums, and an additional drop-down navigator at the bottom of thread/post pages.

or find how to make a new post

Possibly you are attempting to post in the P&R forum, which is now entirely closed and has no "new thread" buttons.

The new thread buttons in open forums are usually located above and below the list of threads, on the left hand side.

I have also had several posts ignored w/o explanation . HELP !!

What do you mean by "ignored"?

• 1 month later...
just to make sure you haven't forgortten it: can we have the 'recent posts' thing back, please?

it was the single most useful thing evarz!

I will fix it as soon as I remember how I broke it :P

w00t, it's back. thank you, whoever fixed it.

the ads by goooooooooooooooooooogle still display over the SFN logo in 800*600, and the nav buttons bar is too long in 800*600, but only in linux (ubuntu, firefox and opera) for some strange reason... it's fine in windows (FF) :confused: