Finding SFN?

Aardvark

SFN has been my homepage for over a year now.

But' date=' I too have noticed this unfortunate trend. I found SFN through google too.[/quote']

That's good, but if SFN isn't easy to find we might start to miss out on interesting new members.

Any ideas how people are finding the forum?

You can still snag links to threads when you Google specific information, but it would be better to have a higher ranking for searching "science forum".

Do you have any idea why the ranking has so suddenly dropped? It's almost like a deliberate decisions been made somewhere.

I'm quite concerned by this. It was first brought to my attention about a month ago. SFN just isn't on the list anywhere; doing a search for science forums on google used to bring up SFN at the very top of the list. Now, we're not even on page 10!

I have a feeling that the robots may be seeing the robots.txt file and running away. I'll look into it.

On SFN. Otherwise, all pages must drop in rank which isn´t possible. I was not completely serious, though. I doubt that the google pageranking is that good that it sees the keyword "science" and correctly tracks the amount of scientific content.

The decreasing scientific traffic also is just my impression but I´ve also heard others saying so.

EDIT: But perhaps the number of new posts has decreased overall? I think someone had an eye on the postcount, let´s see if I can find some information ...

EDIT2: I found an old post by Martin where he counted the posts from mid-march to beginning of april. He counted an average of 292 posts per day over a period of 25 days. Luckily, he also gave the total number of posts on April, 4th. From April 4th to today, we had an average of 237 posts per day. Since my feeling of declining postnumbers is newer than April, I suppose that we are currently below that 237.

Perhaps google correctly realizes that the amount of new scientific content has tremendously dropped within the last months?

In order to get some background to this topic, I googled phrases such as 'google scientific content/ranking' The results seem to reinforce this view or to indicate a change in parameters for the ranking algorithm away from discussion and 'homework help' towards new work and citations.

If I remember correctly (which I do) SFN was at one point a Sponser website. It appeared alongside the hits not as a hit itself. As such when it was no longer a sponser it did not appear anymore in the hit period. (Maybe an oversight by Google, more likely a way to keep sponsers)

EDIT: Too much assuming.

• 1 month later...
I'm sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'd just like to tell you all that the problem was resolved and we're now back on the top of the results for "science forums" :)

So what was the issue? Was it really that google adopts very quickly to changes (at least I have the feeling that the number of posts has increased within the last week, I just cannot tell what is cause and what if effect) or some incorrect setting/similar (what exactly)?