Do posters use false Avatars.

Rebiu

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whislt on Holliday in Peru, I met a rather nice couple in a new MacDonalds that had recently been built, we got chatting and after I explained my need for an Avatar and having paid for their meal with a few gift tokens I`de won a week prior, they eventualy agreed to let me take a picture of them.

I like it, every time I look at it, it takes me right back to those happy sunny days :)

My avatars have all been utterly pretentious symbolic representations of aspects of myself or of what I aspire to.

The first was an abstract drawing of Sisyphus, the mythological figure, pushing his rock up the mountain. It's a symbol borrowed from the philosopher Albert Camus, an image of defiant optimism in the face of acknowedged absurdity, and of proud hopelessness. Sisyphus became great in life by the powers of mind and humanitarian (as opposed to pious) concern. He stood up to the injustice of the Gods, knowing that it was hopeless. He defied even his punishment of death, and by his own powers lived to enjoy life. Even in punishment he is victorious, as he is neither deluded into believing he will "succeed," nor surrendering in despair, but keeping on pushing that rock.

The second was a picture of me taken by girlfriend. I like it because it reminds me of good times, and because I look bored and contemptuous at first glance, but if you look closer you can see a wry playfulness. Or maybe I'm just imagining it....

The third was a raven in flight. Ravens are extremely clever and playful, in a mischieveous kind of way. They are generally loners, but will protect their own kind, and are known for their bravery. They are unabashedly down to earth, squabbling over mundane pleasures, but also transcendant in their apparent uniqueness in flying merely for the joy of flying.

The one I have now of a nebula with a white dwarf in its center, aside from looking really cool, is also a close visual symbol of my perception of self. Pure, serene blackness on the outside, within which there is swirling, luminous, ethereal color, which in turn has a white hot, unwavering core deep within itself at its very center, keeping everything else in line.

Mine is a picture of a Datura stramonium (sorry forgot the english common name for it) which is my favorite plant and also reflects my interest in botany and my admiration and interest in how plants and other organisms chemically produce secondary metabolites (toxins). This plant is lethally poisonous and produces among other things atropine and extremely beautiful too but im afraid it doesn't smell as good as it looks.

I can't believe nobody has asked the obvious question. Rebiu, in what way do you see yourself as Emperor Palpatine?

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design."

I found his character and dialogue in the Empire Strikes Back irresistible.

I find he represents me to others when I destroy the comfort of their illusions.

For example some male posters use a female picture for their avatar and maintain a female persona in their posts. This gets them favorable treatment form moderators and other forum members who rush to defend their wilting positions.

Whislt on Holliday in Peru' date=' I met a rather nice couple in a new MacDonalds that had recently been built, we got chatting and after I explained my need for an Avatar and having paid for their meal with a few gift tokens I`de won a week prior, they eventualy agreed to let me take a picture of them.

I like it, every time I look at it, it takes me right back to those happy sunny days :)[/quote']

Huh? You posted your avatar picture in another thread, and said it was a picture of yourself and your wife.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3565&page=4

For example some male posters use a female picture for their avatar and maintain a female persona in their posts. This gets them favorable treatment form moderators and other forum members who rush to defend their wilting positions.

I wonder if you reffer to me... hehe it wouldn't be the first time my femininity is questioned online.

~moo

Mine is a picture of a Datura stramonium (sorry forgot the english common name for it)

Perhaps if you would have used one of the following names...

Jimson Weed, Loco Weed, Jamestown Weed, Thorn Apple, Angel's Trumpet, or Zombie's Cucumber

...instead of The_simpsons you'd be able to remember what the common english name is. It was very educational though. So thanks for that. Tori Amos also wrote a song called Datura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimson_weed

As for my avatar. I just like FLCL.