People of the Jewish faith you have known.

Rebiu

I lived with two Jewish guys in California.

Jay drove a nice red sports car, I think he was a lawyer. I met him at the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy. He was never anywhere near as good as I was. He tried taking expensive lesson with Rigan Machado one of the best grapplers on the planet. When that didn't work he got our landlord to evict me and I ended up have to return to Kansas.

Dave was the other Jew I lived with. I could never get a straight answer out of Dave. When another roommate named rob when with him job hunting he said the interviews went well until they asked about Dave's felony record. Dave you to hang out with Pete and Ricco all the time. Pete was Italian and had a heavy New York Italian accent. He was always complaining about the FBI.

You have an unusual life.

None of my Jewish friends does martial arts or has any connections to the Mafia.

I actually can turn into a Jew on nights of the full moon, but the rest of the time I am plain vanilla ex-Methodist and proud of it.

One of my Jewish friends is extremely nice. He gave me his extra pair of suspenders. I am wearing them now. I find they work really well to keep pants up.

this is the first time I ever saw a post of yours, Rebiu.

From this brief sample I think you have a knack for telling a story.

stay out of trouble and don't get your threads erased and I will see you around :)

The main Jewish guy I know is the guy who owns a local kosher deli. He's one of the few people I know who actually tries to hold a conversation with you while making food, and if you're looking for the cheapest way to do anything, well, he's the guy to talk to, heh...

Really the only Jewish person I've known was an eccentric old man who lived next door to our family. I don't really remember much about him except I used to love visiting him on friday nights as he would always give us challah bread and dance around the house singing 'shabbat shalom'.

Why do you want to hear about Jewish people anyway?

I would like to hear about people of the Jewish faith that you have known.

no-one can actualy answer that accurately, How would you Know?

unless someone makes of point of Telling you what faith they are, you might know 100s or none at all.

anyway, what is it in particular you would like to "hear" about them?

there was a jewish guy at my highschool (im sure there were many, but there was one that i talked to in any way relevant to religion) from biology in freshman year to calculus as a senior i had many a conversation with him. sometimes about the standard things people talk about, but also a lot of conversations where he satisfied my curiosity about the jewish faith. he was one of the smartest and most friendly people i knew.

and yes, what is it you would like to hear?

I think it's obvious that there are some who need different answers than the ones they've been listening to.

well for my part I admit to Mooey that my reaction was kind of flippant because I thought the thread was actually very funny----so I didnt give a serious summary of my Jewish friends, acquaintances, my college teachers, my chorus director, fellow students from way back, the Jewish sector of my inlaw connections.

that would have been sort of a testimonial to Jewish-American culture and all the good kinds of personal traits and accomplishments that it encourages.

But that would be a kind of stock answer. I can imagine if I started a lecture about all the excellent people I've known who were Jews, then Woody Allen (who happens to be in the audience) gets up and leaves in disgust----or says something very funny that shuts me up.

not even for Mooeypoo do I feel like giving or hearing a lecture about that.

I'd rather talk about Alice Greenbaum, who was the most visibly oversexed girl in my highschool class. Hearing her giggle could give you an erection. She liked to make out in the back seat of cars.

Actually the most mature and beautiful was an Italian girl, she was awesome and totally sinful (we believed). compared to her, Alice was just a cuddly little flirt. this other girl was a serious number.

Can anyone, please, explain to me why does it matter how many Jews people know?

Is this a proof that "Not all jews are jerks" (as the other post in the other thread - the one that was the reason of the starting of this specific thread - so blatantly suggested)?

Really.. I'm proud of my heritage, and I don't mind having a fun excercise, and I don't even mind making harmless fun of myself, but this thread started out of that thread.

Though the responses to the OP were fun and nice and happy and good, it seems to me that the OP's intentions were far from trying to have fun with me, it seems like it's trying to show me that "not all Jews are greedy bastards, see, see see?" which is, I'm quite annoyed to say, quite antisemetic.

So. Point to this thread?

Actually it might give this thread an interesting extra dimension if we could also talk about KANSANS we have known.

Rebiu is himself a notable representative of somebody from Kansas, and so was my wife's grandmother. She came from a farm---the nearest town was Whitewater.

During the first part of the last century events occurred which could be called the KANSAS DIASPORA when many Kansans were scattered to various parts of the world, especially California.

In my view Kansans exhibit certain ethnic characteristics one of which is a tendency to hold stubbornly to eccentric ideas, come what may. Of course it is often a mistake to generalize---and I would welcome anyone wishing to correct my impression----but the great thing about Kansans I have known is their OBSTINACY. They tend to be less wishy-washy and more come-what-may-damn-the-consequences.

Just for BALANCE in this anecdotal thread---so we can see how it is to discuss a different group---I would like to tell you about this Kansas guy who is a MAD GENIUS SCIENTIST. He has a possible solution to the world's energy problems---a potential fuel to propel spaceships to the planets of other stars---a handle on the fundamental construction of spacetime. Also as a bonus, he LOOKS crazy too.

the guy is, to my view, very typically Kansas. He lives in Wichita. And the incredible wonderful thing is that he is recognized by other physicists nationally and internationally, including Nobel-grade ones, as NOT A CRACKPOT!!!! He may be wrong, all would acknowledge, but he is doing legitimate scientific research and has in fact just been awarded a prestigious grant.

So this guy is my candidate for the "Kansas Einstein". Of course there has to be a Kansas Einstein, don't think for a moment there doesnt! I think his last name is Crane. Louis Crane the Kansan. He could be Jewish too, I have no idea, but that would just make it better.

here is the list of awards from the Foundational Questions Institute

(Frank Wilczek a recent Nobel Laureate is on their advisory panel together with some other unquestionably topnotch people)

http://www.fqxi.org/awardees.html

one of the biggest grants went to Louis Crane of Wichita Kansas

Here is a picture of Louis Crane:

http://www.fqxi.org/aw-crane.html

Here is a very brief description of his research that goes into

a bit of detail.

http://www.fqxi.org/aw-crane2.html

You see he has invented a model of how spacetime works called the "Barrett-Crane" model, and lately has managed to work matter into the picture as well.

He suspects that understanding spacetime will permit the production of small black holes, which will be extremely hot and serve as an inexaustible source of energy----but you have to keep the holes and the powerplant in orbit for safety reasons.

WARNING: you dont believe people like this, you stay out of their way and keep an eye on what they are discovering.

One Kansan like Louis Crane cancels out hundreds of thousands of Intelligent Design creeps.

Perhaps rebiu might like to step up and Answer some of the questions that have been asked here but quite a few of us also!?

I will gladly answer any question you have YT2095. You posts are short and concise. Your thinking is clear and you responses concise. You do not try to dominate a thread with long rambling, confused and repetitive monologues.

How 'bout you just answer the many questions that were posted in the different threads, instead of praising the only person who didn't ask you anything yet ;)

I agree, YT deserves all praises, all the time, but really. hehe. This is getting quite silly. People asked you questions in a civil way, ignoring your "subtle" pokes and trollings, and you just ignored all of them.

I am still waiting for you to answer the pending questions, before I post you new ones.

Ya know.. one step at a time.

~moo