How old should politicians be?

Skye

I got one of those flyers from a local politician in the mail today, asking me what my priorities are and the like. The politician was still in university, so probably in her early twenties. I thought this was probably a bit young and inexperienced in the ways of the world to represent me in parliament. So I wondered what everybody else thought.

Like most things, I think good representation should be a mix of all views, old and young, conservative and liberal, fiscally and socially minded, passionate and calculating. Only when all sides are considered can you be sure of a considered vote.

If the entire parliament were just out of college, or all in their sixties, then you'd be in trouble.

The only problem I see with young politicians is the flip flop fad factor(jeez so many Fs). The older politicians will tend to stick to their guns, some may call it stubornness, but that's what you vote for, a viewpoint that you want. If the younger candadites are likely to change their view on an issue they would e a thorn in the side of those who voted for them.

Another problem I see is that when lobbying their age will give off less authority and might have trouble gaining support from special interest groups.

I think someone who is still in college/university, who has probably never held a job to support one's self full-time or dealt with certain issues, is probably out of touch with a reasonable fraction of the population. Then again, coddled uber-rich horses' rear-ends who don't have to try and make ends meet or deal with (what are for the rest of us) everyday issues are just as out of touch. Pick your poison.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...