Why do you live in the best place on Earth?

the tree

A fairly self explanatory title, give a few reasons why your home town is just plain awesome. Here's mine (other residents, please add):

The south-east (and the south, and the east) of England

--- and why it is the best place on Earth

Naturally the first part of Southern England that comes to mind is London, the ultimate market town. As Rome was built as a millitary strong-hold, London was built as a shopping district and so it still remains. There are many equally sized cities that don't have anything like the amount of market places, and that is market places as in people at stalls, selling stuff, outside. Every market place has it's own awesome atmosphere. Anyone travelling into London should visit Camden Town which has many market places that all merge into one excellent experience, you can buy pretty much anything there, most of it legal, try the dougnut stall on the entrance to the Stables market and if there's only one thing you do before you die, take a walk around Cyberdog.

Of course London is also a fantastic place of learning, yadda yadda yadda, go to the National Science Museum where the entrance lobby would be gigantic if it weren't consumed by the T-Rex taking up all the room. (If you have kids, take them to the Launch Pad floor of the museum and they will stay amused for hours).

Out of London there are all types of cool places to look around, a fair ride east, in Essex there's Southend-on-sea, one of the original cheesy seaside resorts that still has the worlds longest pleasure pier (about a mile and a quarter) and as with the whole of the British coastline there are plenty of cool places to go walking or just to hang out on a beach (weather permitting, try Liegh-on-sea nearby).

Further south we have well, the South East, with beautiful idealic countryside as far as the eye can see, until that is you spot Brighton which has been nicknamed London-on-sea, which it really is, it has all the large shopping centres fancy hotels of the capital alongside a load of beaches and a steady supply of rock (the confectionary that is). If it's the thing you're looking for then Brighton is also famous for it's LGBT community.

All in all, we have the worlds best combination of bustling cities, juxtaposed within less than a couple of hours on the train with beautiful countryside.

beat that

Mate, you live in Essex... nuff said!

But otherwise South East England rocks!

Also we don't have Earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, posionous animals etc.

England, LondON!

Mate, you live in Essex... nuff said!
Hey we have cool stuff! If it weren't for us, where would Londoners get fish from? And salt, we have the best salt in the world.

O.k. that's a little depressing isn't it?

Also we don't have Earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, posionous animals etc.
And that is why no-one should ever go to Birmingham.

Could anyone recommend some nice place? England would be too cold.
England is only cold for some of the time, the rest of the time its too hot, the only thing it ever isn't is bearable weather.

If you don't count Cornwall as England, then live there, they have pirates. Actually who am I kidding? What's wrong with Germany? That's where Ramstein come from!

If you don't count Cornwall as England, then live there, they have pirates.

No they don't, they have lots of rugby players on stag do's.

I've lived in South America, and Australia so far, and they're not a patch on South East England, It rocks ! I have the beach and the South downs both 5 mins away !

Go to trafalgar square in london. So many pigeons. I lived in london when i was 5 till when i was 8. Dont remember a lot about it but it was cool place to live. Oh and in the science museum i dont know if they still have it their ( prolly do) take your kids to where they shake the floor to have an earthquake effect. Ah.. i used to love that.

Anyways i live in NY and it sure is the coolest place to live. MAnhattan is awesome. So many diff people ( you could literally find everyone from some part of the earth here) and so much to do. The Big Apple. So much food to eat, so much shopping, legal & illegal. :D

I live in a mountain town which isn't too far from a bustling metropolis. We're nestled among some beautiful, ideallic mountain scenery.

It's a little microcosm of Europe inside America, where the population does look upon most of America as being backwards and clinging to outmoded ideas. Needless to say, you don't see many Bush supporters here.

Everyone here is very health conscious. Organic food is definitely in around here, and there's been a lot of work to keep big box stores out. The only ones who are here have massive sections for organic food.

All of the restaurants here cater to vegetarians and vegans, the latter of which have a huge population here due to the prevolence of Buddhism. While I personally think Buddhists are defeatists who love to rant about how horrible our modern, consumption-driven culture is as they too consume at the teat of the military-industrial complex, I certainly relate to them much better than I do Christians.

I already thought "Paradise!" when i read your post in the buddhism thread. I wanted to go to America since i was a child, but my 'recent studies' (many years of tv and internets) opened my eyes to Americas downsides. A place like yours would make the transition MUCH easier!

My home town is amazing. There no hurricanes, very few tornados, no earthquakes, very little crime (6th lowest in the country), and global warming should only slightly affect this area. There are amazing schools (2nd best in the state, 11th in the country) and it is filled with people of all different races and religions. I also love that, with the acception of this year (we've been having extremely weird weather), for a quarter of the year you can get snow, 1/4 of the year it's in the 60s and 70s F (my idea of the perfect temperature), for a 1/4 of the year it can get as high as 90 every day (the perfect temperature to go swimming), and for 1/4 of the year you can watch the trees change colors and jump in the piles of leaves. Also, there is a lot of wildlife and many parks. But the thing I like best about the place I live is that anyone can voice their opinion and no one will flame you. All the diversity and new ideas spark fun discussions for everyone to get in.

All the diversity and new ideas spark fun discussions for everyone[/i'] to get in.

That sounds much better! I think diversity is much more desirable than homogeneity. I also like places which feel alive and changing. Where people are busy living life, squeezing every gram of fullfilment out of every day experiences.

That sounds much better! I think diversity is much more desirable than homogeneity. I also like places which feel alive and changing. Where people are busy living life, squeezing every gram of fullfilment out of every day experiences.

Yeah, I agree. I kind of worded my post wrong...

Tulsa, Oklahoma. Friendly unpretentious solid people in the heart of the red states. Progressive by Oklahoma standards. Gentle hills to the north east, rolling plains to the southwest. OU football. My family and friends live here and this is where I've happened to build my life. Most places are what you make of them.

australia:

politically, economically and seismically stable, beat weather, and plenty of sun

perth has been rated the best city worldwide alongside vancouver

the only problem is the eratic weather patterns exacerbated by climate change, we never seem to get a reliable forecast that's valid for more than a few hours.