Hunger effecting brain efficiency

Muffin

Ok, this question isn't too terribly scientific, but I guess it might be... I couldn't find any documented evidence on how being hungry at an given moment might disrupt they way you think, to the effect of not being able to focus, making simple mistakes, etc.

I think perhaps my making stupid mistakes on math tests could have to do with the fact that it is right before lunch, and I'm often pretty hungry. I figured I'd have a better chance of getting my schedule switched a bit if I had evidence....so, thanks in advance.

Well, gramatically, your topic should be Affecting brain efficiency

:P

hehe

I'm not a real BIO expert either. But, I have empirical evidence (myself :P ) that your claim could be correct. I guess b/c I think more about my hunger such that I can't concentrate on the task at hand.

the brain is the largest user of Glucose in your body and typicaly operates at approx 20W. that`s quite alot of power! it also consumes considerable quantities of Oxygen too.

the body when low on sugars (glucose) will TRY to conserve this as vending said, in extreme cases (HypoGlycemia), matabolisation will occur, and Keytones will be exhaled (this a major bad!).

next time before an exam/test, eat a banana!, it contains easily assimilated sugars and some starches for long term usage. a can of Coke Cola (not that diet crap) will help a little if you can`t get anything else also. but it`s a quick hit and wont sustain you for a long time.

hope that helps :) if not wait until Glider comes on, he`ll know alot more :)

YT2095 said in post #4 :

eat a banana!, it contains easily assimilated sugars and some starches for long term usage.

oOh

That's a good idea!

But the last time i brought a banana to school, it became black...

o_O

Muffin said in post #1 :

Ok, this question isn't too terribly scientific, but I guess it might be... I couldn't find any documented evidence on how being hungry at an given moment might disrupt they way you think, to the effect of not being able to focus, making simple mistakes, etc.

Depends how hungry you are. You'd have to have been fasting for some time to become ketotic. The body produces ketones as a byproduct of metabolising fat for energy in the absence of glucose (or if your insulin levels ore too low to utilise the glucose that is present). If you've eaten a poor breakfast (stuffed full of sucrose) you could suffer a fast drop in glucose levels before lunch. This will lead to feelings of hunger.

How does being hungry disrupt they way you think? It does so in two ways; 1) Physiologically: As has already been said, the brain uses glucose as fuel. If you are low on glucose, the brain will be affected.

2) Psychologically: When you are hungry, your subconscious begins the search for food, whether you are otherwise occupied or not. Environmental stimuli pertaining to food, or the source of food become much more salient and your brain will begin to focus on these and bring them to your attention, where previously, you might not have noticed them.

Example: A study was done on the effects of fasting on perception. Participants were shown a large board on which were presented a large number of images. Amongst these images were images of food (banana, apple, egg and so-on). Participants were allocated to two groups. One group fasted for 12 hours. The other ate as normal. The task was to find all the food items that were hiddden amongst all the distractor items in the shortest possible time. Those that had fasted found these items in a significantly shorter time than those who had eaten normally.

I think perhaps my making stupid mistakes on math tests could have to do with the fact that it is right before lunch, and I'm often pretty hungry. I figured I'd have a better chance of getting my schedule switched a bit if I had evidence....so, thanks in advance.

Eat a good breakfast; lots of complex carbohydrates that will last until lunch. Do not eat just before an exam. If you do this, the body diverts resources from your brain to your gastrointestinal tract to assist with digestion (the reason you sometimes feel drowsy after a meal), and you won't be able to concentrate in the exam. If you need to eat, have a light snack at least an hour beforehand.

anything with easily absorbed sugars and starches (as YT said)

not being a dietrician myself, I would suggest spaghetti and peanut butter (just because I think it would be funny if someone actually ate that)

I think the only thing that messes me up in math tests is when I try to actually show the work, I CAN'T DO IT!!! I hate when teachers write "show your work" because then I'll try, and I'll get something messed up:-p

however, rarely do I ever eat breakfast, and I was one of the smarter people (maybe) in my high school, so it doesn't really bother me....but glider is a lot righter (grammar for ya sayo) than I am, so listen to him

I remember clearly and vividly escape plans, conversations, and other experiences over many months of severe starvation as a political prisoner in South America. I don't think it made me any less aware. Only thinner. If anybody says they are less capable of thought, it is probably because they are as Glider points out spoildley distracted by hunger.

Just my opinion.

Just aman