• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Who is Emma Watson?

2. Who does not drink?

3. Children behave childishly.

Whoever she is' date=' she seems quite normal.[/quote']

She's the actress who plays Hermione in the Harry Potter movies. There's been a pic of her drinking a corona circulating on the internet. I've seen it and it looks photoshopped.

1. who cares? drinking is not the devil.

2. shes british. whats the legal drinking age in britain? the only place i can find says that children 5 and over are allowed to drink as long as its not on licensed premises (they can drink at home), but it doesnt look like a very official site.

so.... shes not breaking any laws, shes having some fun, drinking with some friends... why do we care again?

woots! i am emma watson's fan, and when i heard she drinks, i was terribly upset! bah! must all child and teenage actors end up this way? Bah.
There's drinking and then there's drinking. ;) ;)

Hermione has that girl-next-door quality about her. Couple that with the fact that Ron is oblivious to her and the average male then wants to reach out and protect her (while showing her what a real man is like, of course). It's part of the appeal of her character and you're transferring that to the actress. Seeing Emma drink a beer is not necessarily seeing her in a rehab clinic.

Don't panic.

the legal age for purchasing alcohol in the UK is 18, however! I rem quite distincly as a kid sitting outside a pub in the beer garden after a good day out with half a shandy and packet of crisps, I was about 6 years old!

and we ALWAYS used to have a glass of wine each at the sunday dinner table ever since I can remember (granted it was only an Egg-Cup full but non the less alc).

never harmed me in anyway! :)

woots! i am emma watson's fan, and when i heard she drinks, i was terribly upset! bah! must all child and teenage actors end up this way? Bah.

i'm not her fan but i definetly love harrypotter movies and books, and it is really sad to hear that she drinks especially after what she said about how her parents still control her and keep her legs on the ground. i dunno what to say but it dose upset her fans. just hope she dosen't become like the home alone guy..:-(

what in the bloody hell is "a shandy" and what are "crisps"?
A shandy is half beer and half ginger ale, crisps are potato chips.

i'm not her fan but i definetly love harrypotter movies and books, and it is really sad to hear that she drinks especially after what she said about how her parents still control her and keep her legs on the ground. i dunno what to say but it surely upsets to know ur favourite star is like this.:-(
I'm calling Fundamental Attribution Error here. Don't make her out to be an alcoholic just because she's been "drinking". Seeing someone drinking a beer does not mean they are a falling down blackout drunk. Even having a bit too much is just experimentation at her age.

Lighten up, people.

you can consume alc at any reasonable age in your own home (too low an age and the social services get involved obviously).

I really can`t beleive you Asked about Shandy and Crisps though! in the age of the internet and Globalisation I`m quite astonished.

Crisps the proper name for what you call "Potatoe chips" to US "potatoe Chips" are what you`de call "French Fries" or just Fries, we call them Pathetic, and much prefer the Real thing as a bag of chips wrapped up in newpaper with plenty of salt and vinigar :)

not withstanding that, a Shandy is a mixture of Lemonade (lemon Soda Pop, as you probably know it) and a beer, often Lager but not always.

Crisps the proper name for what you call "Potatoe chips" to US "potatoe Chips" are what you`de call "French Fries" or just Fries, we call them Pathetic, and much prefer the Real thing as a bag of chips wrapped up in newpaper with plenty of salt and vinigar :)

potatoe chips are perfectly fine, just like french fries, as long as you dont ruin them by pouring a nasty bottle of vinegar all over them.

not withstanding that, a Shandy is a mixture of Lemonade (lemon Soda Pop, as you probably know it) and a beer, often Lager but not always.

ive never heard of lemon soda, but if you said that here what would come to mind is a lemon flavored carbonated drink (like sprite or 7up is a lemon lime soda). lemonade would be non-carbonated; hopefully homemade as a mixture of freshly squeezed lemons, water, and some sugar.

sprite is closest to lemonade yes (or what we call "pop") it is carbonated.we do have non-carbonated lemon drinks too, often made with water and a cordial.

and HOW can you eat Chips WITHOUT Acetic acid (5%) and Sodium Chloride that isn`t wrapped in yesterdays newpaper? any other method is beyond Heathen and heading towards philistine! :P

ive never heard of lemon soda, but if you said that here what would come to mind is a lemon flavored carbonated drink (like sprite or 7up is a lemon lime soda).
A shandy can be made with 7Up or Sprite instead of ginger ale. I've had them explained to me but never had one, never having been a big beer or soda fan. They sound tremendously hideous.
and HOW can you eat Chips WITHOUT Acetic acid (5%) and Sodium Chloride that isn`t wrapped in yesterdays newpaper? any other method is beyond Heathen and heading towards philistine!
Americans LOVE vinegar with their "chips", they just prefer the vinegar diluted with tomatoes, cayenne, onions and sugar.

Oh, excuse me! Does Emma Watson like chips with her beer?

A shandy can be made with 7Up or Sprite instead of ginger ale. I've had them explained to me but never had one' date=' never having been a big beer or soda fan. They sound tremendously hideous.

Americans LOVE vinegar with their "chips", they just prefer the vinegar diluted with tomatoes, cayenne, onions and sugar.[/quote']

What the poopy crap!?! You put sugar on your chips? are you talking about the chunky french-fry-esque things, and not the thin crispy disks that come from walkers? (come to think of it, either would be grim).

I mean, c'mon! I come from britain, which iirc has the highest sugar consumption in the world... i actually like eating raw sugar (or sugar mixed with milk to make it sludgy), but sugar on CHIPS!!! that's just wrong.

@Caly': to drink alcohol in the UK, you must be 5... (i believe that law was brought in because a few babies died when their parents fed them brandy to make them sleep)... I know this because my dad actually went into a police station and checked before letting me have alcohol.

18 to buy and to consume in public, exept resturants where i believe it's 18 to buy, but only 14 to consume.

Mind, it's pretty lax... i started drinking in pubs when i was 14.

What the poopy crap!?! You put sugar on your chips[/i']? are you talking about the chunky french-fry-esque things, and not the thin crispy disks that come from walkers? (come to think of it, either would be grim).
Yes, in the form of ketchup. Judging by my daughter, ketchup is one of the major food groups in the US.

I'm sure Emma Watson doesn't eat ketchup, though.

sprite is closest to lemonade yes (or what we call "pop") it is carbonated.we do have non-carbonated lemon drinks too, often made with water and a cordial.

no one under the age of 35 or over the age of 10 calls it pop!

Yes, in the form of ketchup. Judging by my daughter, ketchup is one of the major food groups in the US.

Same in the UK...but I prefer brown sauce personally, or mayo and chips is great (french fries suck IMO) and we only get those in fast food 'chain' outlets. As YT2095 said a proper British (potato) chip, is chunky and saturated with salt and vinegar, and a dollop of ketchup for dunking. The perfect accompaniment would be a Pukka Pie, battered cod or haddock, or a battered sausage.

Do you get traditional British fish & chip restaurants in the U.S...do they exist ?

:) What's not to like about a cool refreshing beer or lager shandy? Would not expect those from the west of the atlantic to appreciate it though, the continent that inflicted sarsaparilla (legend has it that something called wormwood is an essential ingredient of that. YUK!) and root beer on the world. All those sickly concoctions called cocktails, too..... Next someone will say they've never heard of a spritzer, a mixture of wine and lemonade.

As for sugar on chips and crisps though, the starch turns to sugar, then the sugar caramelises, this makes them brown and crispy. No sugar, no crisps. Some like a little extra, thats all.:)

Yes' date=' in the form of ketchup. Judging by my daughter, ketchup is one of the major food groups in the US.

I'm sure Emma Watson doesn't eat ketchup, though.[/quote']

Oh, ketchup. that's ok then. but one can never be too sure with you crazy americans, and your 'lets put sugar in random places where the foreighners wont expect it, like bread, and then laugh at them when they retch' antics.

probably not at the exact same time, as the Swallow/Chew dillema kicks in.

and to be entirely honest, who really cares if she likes a beer every now and then, 1 picture is hardly condemning her, fair play to the wench!

(our Subtle Hints at off-topicness don`t seem to be working Phi)