Who is talking?

Bettina

When you read a book, what voice are you reading with? When you read this text, your mind is saying the words, but in whose voice. Yours?

Mine varies. As an example, when I read something by Carl Sagan, its his voice I "hear", and now that I've heard Lisa Randall, I hear her sometimes.

I want to know what others "hear", or do you just hear what you think is you?

Bettina

Normally I read with a voice which is pretty close to mine but isn't actually mine if you get what I mean which I will call "the voice".

When I read novels or fiction, every character has it's own voice, not to different, not different accents, just like a different tone. It happens to me even when I read posts here in SFN, especially the more regular posters have developed their own sort of voice.

Then "the voice" just takes over the rest, like school books, reading notes, announcements, articles, etc.

I thought you were all jealous of me because I was the only one who hears the voices....

It's always my voice, but I switch inflections, accents and pitch to match whoever I'm reading. And sometimes I channel Mel Blanc for the really tough ones. :cool:

i not so much only hear voices as drop into the story so its like watching a movie. every character has their own voice and accent.

when i'm reading SFN i still imagine up different voices for everybody

and when i'm reading a science book its my voice.

When I read i generally "hear" what im reading in sort of a neutral voice. It's without any accent and although it doesn't sound like my speaking voice i tend to identify it as my voice rather then having seperate voices for diferent characters and etc.

I usually hear myself speaking, but there are special cases.

For instance, once I've seen an anime, then I read the manga to accompany it, I hear the voices of the actors in the anime. But other than that, it's usually myself unless I really try to put some effort into the other voices.

It's a bit of an odd question I suppose, unless I consciously pay attention to it, I don't generally even notice a voice in my head while I'm reading though I know there is one[or many depending on what I'm reading].