Annoying Myths

JustStuit

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

I hate that! I eat plenty of apples' date=' and yet my dad keeps coming home. :mad:[/quote']

lol...I haven't been to the doctor in years, and I eat an apple almost everyday, if not, then another piece of fruit, so for me, at least, that myth is true.

here's another one. "you are what you eat."

not necessarily a believable or logical myth, but I hear it all the time anyway. Anyone know where it comes from?

So the myth is not a myth? Veins are bluish because the blood in them is more blue than red? I'd heard this when I was young and then heard it debunked when I was older. What's the final verdict, Doc?

Yep, that's it. The final verdict is that peripheral veins appear tinged blue because venous blood (with the exception of the pulmonary vein) is very dark purple and the wall of veins are much thinner than the walls of arteries.

I guess the best evidence for this is cyanosis where a persons's O2 sats drop to dangerous levels as the areterial blood also becomes deoxygenated. In these cases the blood in the capilaries is as dark as venous blood and so where these capillaries are close to the surface (e.g. the fingernail beds and lips), turns light blue.

Oooh' date=' don't get me started. I saw a special on a woman who lost a couple hundred pounds after having her stomach "pouched" (most of it cut away, not stapled, creating a small pouch).

She was so tickled that a [i']small[/i] order of McDonald's fries were all it took to make her feel full. :-(

all that to lose weight and she still goes to McDonalds? wtf?

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

I hate that! I eat plenty of apples' date=' and yet my dad keeps coming home. :mad:[/quote']

you're supposed to throw them at him. duh!

the most annoying myth ever has to be that a theory "is only a theory" and i doesn't meant that it applies all the time. while technically this is true most creationists assume that the rules in a theory can be transgressed with ease as often as desired.

Any racial myths really tick me off...

IE: Blacks have large members, jews have small members, asians are naturally superior intellects, etc etc etc ad infinitum.

I dont want to hear this garbage again until I see solid statistics proving otherwise (and dont say asians are smarter cause they score higher on "IQ" tests in some surveys. For one, IQ is NOT a measure of intelligence, and for two, they have a superior education system *at least in china and japan from what ive read* than the west).

Any racial myths really tick me off...

They're not ALL myths. For example Afro-Caribbean people on average are more muscular. This observation is backed up by higher blood levels of creatine kinase and creatinine, which correlate with muscle mass. I've always wondered why there are so few black swimmers though, compared to other sports. I know there are a lot of silly racial myths, but they should be ignored because they are false, not just because they attribute traits to races.

They're not ALL myths. For example Afro-Caribbean people on average [/i']are more muscular. This observation is backed up by higher blood levels of creatine kinase and creatinine, which correlate with muscle mass. I've always wondered why there are so few black swimmers though, compared to other sports. I know there are a lot of silly racial myths, but they should be ignored because they are false, not just because they attribute traits to races.

Where did you get your information. I would love to read it.

Where did you get your information. I would love to read it.

The biochemical information can be looked up in the UK online guide to clinical biochemistry: labtestsonline. If you look up creatine kinase and select "the test" it says "People who have greater muscle mass have higher CK levels (for example a young fit male will have more muscle mass and hence a higher CK level than an elderly female), and Afro-Caribbeans may have higher CK levels than other ethnic groups.". Also for creatine: "creatinine levels are in proportion to muscle mass"; it is higher in black people, but they don't mention ethnic groups because the influence is small and doesn't have to be taken into account. Sorry they're not 'proper' references.

But obviously these are quite specific and unimportant differences and are just based on population averages. I just think sometimes it's a bit naive to say "we're all the same, there's no such thing as race", when racial differences are staring you in the face. The important thing is that whatever differences there are are pretty inconsequential.

The biochemical information can be looked up in the UK online guide to clinical biochemistry: labtestsonline. If you look up creatine kinase and select "the test" it says "People who have greater muscle mass have higher CK levels (for example a young fit male will have more muscle mass and hence a higher CK level than an elderly female)' date=' and Afro-Caribbeans may have higher CK levels than other ethnic groups."[/i']. Also for creatine: "creatinine levels are in proportion to muscle mass"; it is higher in black people, but they don't mention ethnic groups because the influence is small and doesn't have to be taken into account. Sorry they're not 'proper' references.

But obviously these are quite specific and unimportant differences and are just based on population averages. I just think sometimes it's a bit naive to say "we're all the same, there's no such thing as race", when racial differences are staring you in the face. The important thing is that whatever differences there are are pretty inconsequential.

I can see your point and I agree to an extent. I wont debate this further here since this is a bit off topic. I think you were blowing my original comment way out of proportion. I still stand that they are mostly myths and stupid myths at that.

Fox is fair and balanced...I can't even believe they get this by the Truth in Advertising laws.

i saw an episode of the o reilly factor where he said his show is completely unbiased. he said it was straight facts with no spin.

i have heard him, however, on several occasions, use the term "anti-christian" for anyone with religious tolerance for non-christian religions.