SFN user of the year?

Should there be an SFN user of the year award?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should there be an SFN user of the year award?

• Yes
    • No, it will cause problems
    • No, I don't like the idea
    • No opinion

also I thought your Yoda lightsaber gesture was brilliant

maybe I just hate to see avatars change because I attach the person I read to the image I see and then find it hard to transfer

are you going back to the old Yoda or sticking with the snapshot for now?

I agree with your "avater = this person" view' date=' as I share it. Though I love Yoda dearly (I have more respect for him than anyone :P ) he didn't portray that more sadistic flare that seems to define me ;) I may eventually fall back to a lightning-throwing yoda if seeing my face too often disturbs me :)

Look at AzurePhoenix. See the intense yet revealing expression she has, hiding enigmatic thoughts? Now imagine that Azure is looking at the Mona Lisa, trying to match her, enigma for enigma.

Now imagine the Mona Lisa's smile falters, just a bit. Her eyes dart to the side, looking for the nearest exit. You know, just in case.

Phi, you should definately be nominated for sweetest SFN member. YOu know just how to touch my heart ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I get my anime dude back? I don't know what to do for my avatar.
There will be no Best Waffle category. :D

Seriously, avatars are many things to many people, but they should have meaning for their user and nobody else. If others pick your avatar it's not an avatar.

..."Best Male Avatar": [b']Ecoli...[/b]

sweet! And I have to agree with your other nominations as well.

I agree with your "avater = this person" view, as I share it. Though I love Yoda dearly (I have more respect for him than anyone :P ) he didn't portray that more sadistic flare that seems to define me ;) I may eventually fall back to a lightning-throwing yoda if seeing my face too often disturbs me :)

To be perfectly honest... I was almost surprized how normal you look. I almost expected, if I ever saw your real picture, that you would be wearing some sort of evil overlord costume, and the doctor evil pinkie... I must say, I'm impressed :P

I think he had some definite plusses as a a SFN poster, but what specifically do you have in mind?

How about "Worst SFN Atheist?"

It can't just be "Poster of the Year" because that has to be a NICE person :)

Yeah, I guess he's more of the rough and rugged badass, though with a heart of gold. :D

Yeah' date=' I guess he's more of the rough and rugged badass, though with a heart of gold. :D[/quote']

if that is true then all you have to do is NOT FENCE WITH HIM and everything will be peaceful and he will contribute a lot to the board

(this is my understanding of a rough and rugged badass with a heart of gold---it is just a theory---if that is a correct idea of the guy then if you try to fence with him he will nail you but if you dont then most exchanges are going to be easy and maybe even constructive)

may be an gross oversimplification, but it's a theory, we can test it and see how it works

Admittedly pcs wound me up a bit at first...but on retrospect he's been playing devils advocate in a number of debates, and that's probably needed.

I think it's a matter of a little give and take sometimes, and not being so quick to jump down each others throats...however I do enjoy heated debate on occasion, keeps you on your toes (good practice to stay coherent and calm when all you want to do is scream profanities at the opposition :) )

pcs is revprez. His original account got banned.

Hmmm;)

Well would he still be eligible for nomination as Poster of the Year for 2005, do you think?

He wasnt banned for quite a bit of 2005, right?

I tend to view it as a legitimate nomination, even though it was pcs who nominated him(self). Do you disagree and think it is not a valid nomination, or would you say it should be included?

"Favoritest Poster Who Is Half My Age": [b']Yourdadonapogos[/b]
:D wow! thank you

i nominate IMM for "most knowledgable in the area of religion"

I used a lot of photos, but I really like the cartoon one, its very me :)
i liked your photos better. you are very beautiful.

AP, on the otherhand, has a new avatar which made me realize how evil she really is.

i nominate pcs for "most perserverant troll"

I tend to view it as a legitimate nomination, even though it was pcs who nominated him(self). Do you disagree and think it is not a valid nomination, or would you say it should be included?

Might be a good idea to find out what phcatlantis, patcalhoun and philcandless think. :D

i nominate IMM for "most knowledgable in the area of religion"

I'd nominate her for "most knowledgable in the area of moral philosophy"

i nominate pcs for "most perserverant troll"

Seconded.

Well would he still be eligible for nomination as Poster of the Year for 2005, do you think?

Well, I keep him on ignore, although I click view post from time to time to see what he has to say about certain issues. He's a smart guy; it's just a shame he wastes his time being an Internet troll, especially when he trolls people he claims to share views with.

AP, on the otherhand, has a new avatar which made me realize how evil she really is.
After all the bizarre threats, clear taste for violence, seriously proposed societal-domination plans, and uniquely savage moral code, it was my picture that brought you around? I've never before been so proud of my scowl.

I agree with Yourda about IMM photo and approve the forthright expression. In such a case, is not a mistake to speak one's mind.

...Well' date=' I keep him on ignore, although I click view post from time to time to see what he has to say about certain issues. He's a smart guy; it's just a shame he wastes his time being an Internet troll, especially when he trolls people he claims to share views with.[/quote']

the most dedicated and relentless trolls are, I suspect, Logic and Reality themselves-----since in the end they will challenge all belief, even the most cherished, about the physical world.

but since I only suspect this and am not entirely certain what a troll is, I will say "devil's advocate" in discussing pcs.

an intelligent hard-working devil's advocate can be a valuable asset.

message boards like this are a kind of theater ----- ranging I suppose from information-drama to soap to farce----and devil advocate is one of the roles in the play

the adversary, the defiant of authority, the anarchist, an element of risk

the only thing I worry about is that such a one might miff the mods

it would not be nice for the devil advocate to be so bad with, say, Mokele, that Mokele's feelings were hurt and he had to go away. We need mods, it is a hard job. You have to respond to noobs and do other chores.

the mods need respect because that is their only reward for all the hard work.

it is important for the adversary to be basically benign, not to be mean, always to leave room for a face-saving retreat----not to cause mods so much aggravation that they go on extended holliday.

just thinking out loud.

maybe this line of thinking is a mistake. but what is the alternative?

can't think how to put it better than Snail did back in post #60

Admittedly pcs wound me up a bit at first...but on retrospect he's been playing devils advocate in a number of debates' date=' and that's probably needed.

I think it's a matter of a little give and take sometimes, and not being so quick to jump down each others throats...however I do enjoy heated debate on occasion, keeps you on your toes (good practice to stay coherent and calm when all you want to do is scream profanities at the opposition :) )[/quote']

I think we had better nominate pcs as one candidate for Poster of the Year. I will, if his nominating himself doesnt count.

Even if he gets zero or almost no votes (having antagonized the community, if he has) it would be good to have him on the ballot.

To remind ourselves that for contrast-sake you need some vinegar in the salad.

in discussing pcs.

an intelligent hard-working devil's advocate can be a valuable asset.

Okay, I suggest we withdraw the (self-)nomination for "Poster of the Year" and instead I nominate pcs for "Most Improved Poster of the Year" as while he has been banned in four incarnation, revprez's fifth incarnation has managed to reach a point of civility where none have found the need to ban him. Perhaps he learned something from the first four bannings.

Oh, by the way, do I win "Best Singularitarian" by default?

...Well' date=' I keep him on ignore, although I click view post from time to time to see what he has to say about certain issues. He's a smart guy; it's just a shame he wastes his time being an Internet troll, especially when he trolls people he claims to share views with.[/quote']

I'm still assimilating your post #66, Bascule, where you invoke the troll idea. I am figuring out what a troll is. Very simply it is someone who can't resist the urge to pick a fight, even if there is no need. does that capture the main idea?

I'm still assimilating your post #66, Bascule, where you invoke the troll idea. I am figuring out what a troll is. Very simply it is someone who can't resist the urge to pick a fight, even if there is no need. does that capture the main idea?

While the term "troll" is typically likened to a mythological beast, perhaps residing under a bridge and threatening to club anyone who comes across it, I prefer to think of it more as a fisherman who is trolling his line looking for "bites". If I were to guess, I would say his personality leads him to argue for sport, never minding that in the process he ends up mucking with the emotions of the participants, and his complete irreverance towards anyone's feelings is what has lead him to be banned.

In the case of revprez, he is a self-avowed atheist, who, for whatever reason, seeks out fellow atheists and proceeds to argue from the exact opposite perspective from his self-avowed beliefs. He has not only been banned from here (only to sign up again under a different name), but other forums as well:

http://atheists.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=23913#23908

All that ended right after I joined the discussions. I just caught the tail end of it. From what I was able to ascertain, granger was a fundie and did threaten someone. I think granger and revprez were the same person; revprez was banned from the site and returned as granger. But I never really understood what had happened. I just saw that other people here were glad that it was over. Granger and I had one interchange which was unpleasant, but it didn't amount to much. It was like talking to Rush Limbaugh. Ancient history, fortunately.

granger revprez accused one person of sexually abusing their child and encouraged another person to commit suicide. I'm glad he's gone, I believe seeker may have pursued legal action against him for slander and libel.

It got very ugly and very serious, and a lot of people left over both the banning (many thought he shouldn't be banned no matter WHAT he did or said-mostly people who were not actually attacked by him) and over his behavior. His behavior and the fallout from it caused a lot of online friendships to end.

And here's another forum he's been banned from, if you're still curious

well, Keep it real, and you`ll fare well, I don`t anticipate any problems from you. I hope you`ll not prove me (and a few others) wrong.

you don`t seem the sort to let people down anyway, you`ll do just fine :)