Pirates of the Caribean

NavajoEverclear

o_o

still haven't been able to see it

college student without a job yet = probably will not see it for quite some time....although my family did go see it without me while I was at school one day, love them so much;)

• 7 years later...

Old thread to dig. :P

Did anyone wondered in 2003 that the fourth part would come one day? NO, I guess.

Only because sequels tends to beat the life out of a movie concept. A strong story morphs into a quest for cash. How many movie concepts (not book adaptations) have spawned sequels, and how many of those franchises held up past the first sequel?

I think one problem is that movies tend to generally be written as a one-shot deal, with a strong, satisfying ending to please the crowd. And it's difficult to come up with a fresh situation for the main characters. It's approached in a different way than a TV series.

The James Bond franchise hasn't done badly (and they have long stopped being book adaptations) - but thats not quite the same, not quite so much a sequel as a series.

Edited by imatfaal

The James Bond franchise hasn't done badly (and they have long stopped being book adaptations) - but thats not quite the same, not quite so much a sequel as a series.

Right — they were loosely based on the books, so the groundwork of a spy doing stunning things was already laid.

Only because sequels tends to beat the life out of a movie concept. A strong story morphs into a quest for cash. How many movie concepts (not book adaptations) have spawned sequels, and how many of those franchises held up past the first sequel?

I think one problem is that movies tend to generally be written as a one-shot deal, with a strong, satisfying ending to please the crowd. And it's difficult to come up with a fresh situation for the main characters. It's approached in a different way than a TV series.

I loved the first Pirates of the Caribbean. After the first one, Captain Jack ceased to be mysterious and the sequels really ruined the first one for me. I hate it when a good story gets ruined by a shameless quest for cash sequel. I hope they never try to make a crappy sequel to District 9, one of my favorite recent movies. Though I fear they will.

I think the newest Pirates movie is rubbish. It's the worst of the film series.

But there are movie titles with excellent sequels. I think the X-men have just produced a really good one, and also Toy Story 3 scores higher than the earlier two.

mississippichem, I completely agree that District 9 is fantastic. That movie ended with a hint at a possible "District 10" though.