Ever been on the Appalachian Trail?

MSC

Planning to hike a section of the trail, wanted to get advice from someone who has been on it before and since other social media platforms are flaming piles of garbage... y'all are the only folks I'll trust for sound advice.

There is a special happy feeling knowing one is not part of a garbage fire.

Didn't walk from Springer Mtn to Mt Katahdin, but I walked some of it in Vermont and NH.   It's all common sense stuff - pick your time (e.g. not winter in the north, not high summer in the South), bring a partner you don't mind having inspect you for tics, bring mosquito repellent, sturdy hiking boots, etc.  Keep food in a bag and hang it from a high tree branch when you sleep, never in your tent.  Take increasingly long walks before the trip, for several months, to build up muscles and spot any joint/tendon issues beforehand.  Keep socks dry.  Watch out for the protozoan fiend of Appalachia, Giardia lamblia.  Do your homework on finding a high quality water filter that will strain out Giardia - pump filters are the best.  Boiling water is a monumental PITA.  Ditto cooking.  Dried fruit, oat bars, pemmican, peanuts, trail mix, powdered milk or powdered non dairy drinks, are all handy sources that don't need fuel to prepare.  Don't gather trail sources of food unless you know exactly what you're doing.  Blackberries yes, mushrooms no.  No sustained eye contact with bears. Etc.  

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

There is a special happy feeling knowing one is not part of a garbage fire.

Didn't walk from Springer Mtn to Mt Katahdin, but I walked some of it in Vermont and NH.   It's all common sense stuff - pick your time (e.g. not winter in the north, not high summer in the South), bring a partner you don't mind having inspect you for tics, bring mosquito repellent, sturdy hiking boots, etc.  Keep food in a bag and hang it from a high tree branch when you sleep, never in your tent.  Take increasingly long walks before the trip, for several months, to build up muscles and spot any joint/tendon issues beforehand.  Keep socks dry.  Watch out for the protozoan fiend of Appalachia, Giardia lamblia.  Do your homework on finding a high quality water filter that will strain out Giardia - pump filters are the best.  Boiling water is a monumental PITA.  Ditto cooking.  Dried fruit, oat bars, pemmican, peanuts, trail mix, powdered milk or powdered non dairy drinks, are all handy sources that don't need fuel to prepare.  Don't gather trail sources of food unless you know exactly what you're doing.  Blackberries yes, mushrooms no.  No sustained eye contact with bears. Etc.  

Thank you so much! Yeah I'm doing just a section of the trail from Massachusetts to Maine. Trying to find a trail partner too. I'm especially grateful in regards to the water filter advice and protozoa warning. 

Not the AT specifically, but I’ve done a few of the long-distance trails around Europe. Meant to do the Continental Divide Trail a few years back, but had to cancel due to Covid.

Agree with everything @TheVat said, especially the bits about water. One can’t be careful enough, there’s nothing more miserable than a stomach bug on trail. Personally I’m partial to my good old Sawyer Squeeze filter, has served me well for many a trail!

I like using a Jetboil to boil water. For me, having hot water for coffee, tea, hot meals and of course safe water greatly improves the experience. There are some really good freeze dried options for dinners. I don't bring any other cooking pots or pans as all can be done with boiling water and a plastic bowl.

I don't know the northern section of the AT but if there are lots of streams to cross it helps to carry some lightweight water shoes to slip on.

I love reading when in the wilderness so I always carry a thin paperback and burn the chapters as I finish them. Be sure to bring some hand soap. I like to wear bike shorts under my hiking pants as it helps prevent chafing if it's hot out. Paracord is much lighter than rope and plenty strong for hanging food and other needs. Cotton balls coated with vaseline makes a great fire starter and can be ignited with a spark. I wouldn't venture into the wilderness without a fixed blade knife with a blade at least 4" long. Don't forget a first aid kit and do a little reading refresher on first aid before going.

Have fun!!

I agree with @zapatos tips - useful for a somewhat less minimalist approach than mine - and I can't argue with the joys of hot beverages.  

I would suggest boiling water and plastic bowls don't always interact well, in light of concerns on leachates from plastic, so I would prefer aluminum (with insulated holder) for that. 

10 hours ago, zapatos said:

love reading when in the wilderness so I always carry a thin paperback and burn the chapters as I finish them.

Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Burn-After-Reading/dp/B001D243WU

Consider scheduling pre planned rest days where you purposely don’t walk, you seek out some civilization, find an inn, take a sudsy shower, have some hot food and cold beer, put your feet up and restore yourself… especially before difficult legs of the journey. You’ll find you make fast friends in these circumstances and sometimes they’re the most memorable parts 

Edited by iNow