Yuca flour, yuca starch. Are they different ? [baking]

Externet

Often I bake cheese bread, yuca bread... many names for the same.   Not yucca !  Also known as cassava, mandioca, tapioca...

When the flour is manufactured, what is added or substracted for it to become/make starch instead ?  Am convinced is the same stuff with mythic beliefs.  How is it ?

42 minutes ago, Externet said:

Often I bake cheese bread, yuca bread... many names for the same.   Not yucca !  Also known as cassava, mandioca, tapioca...

When the flour is manufactured, what is added or substracted for it to become/make starch instead ?  Am convinced is the same stuff with mythic beliefs.  How is it ?

Evidently the difference is that the starch is considered a more pure form of the root and the flour includes fiber, protein, and other impurities. IMHO it appears that the starch is what's left over after all the nutrients are removed but that is just me. Evidently there is a poison that needs to be removed as well but I have no knowledge of this. 

@Externet Were you aware of the poisonious nature of this flour or is this article mistaken? 

https://www.starchprojectsolution.com/faq/cassava_starch_flour_1137.html

3.Different ingredients:

The cassava processing machine in the cassava starch production line removes impurities, fiber, protein and fine particles in the cassava raw materials layer by layer, so the cassava starch is more pure,the toxicity of cassava has been eliminated completely. Rather cassava flour still contain a little toxicity. So cassava flour can't be eaten raw, cassava starch can be used directly. It's worth to say that children can't eat cassava flour even it has been cooked.

Thanks.   Yes, aware of its poisonous nature as the potatoes and yams are.   Been consuming it for decades as zillion people in the world.   Do not understand the "layer by layer" above.  It is a root, finely chopped when making the flour.  What layers are there to separate ?  The peel is discarded.

image.png.18117613cba7fc3399d1520a797a4ccf.png

image.thumb.png.aa4f199cadc68996e3c5df264aed21cd.png

image.png.19710da6252a61b207014ac8fcb7b0fd.png

2 hours ago, Externet said:

Thanks.   Yes, aware of its poisonous nature as the potatoes and yams are.   Been consuming it for decades as zillion people in the world.   Do not understand the "layer by layer" above.  It is a root, finely chopped when making the flour.  What layers are there to separate ?  The peel is discarded.

image.png.18117613cba7fc3399d1520a797a4ccf.png

image.thumb.png.aa4f199cadc68996e3c5df264aed21cd.png

image.png.19710da6252a61b207014ac8fcb7b0fd.png

As far as I can tell it seems to be the same stuff, basically. There seem to be two versions of cassava flour, sweet and sour, the latter being fermented before final preparation. I am interested in this as I want to make pan de queijo, which one of my son's Brazilian nannies/babysitters used to make and which I found delicious. I now have a Brazilian cleaner who brings me some occasionally but she doesn't make it herself and it is not quite as good. Cassava flour is not easy to find in London, though there are Brazilian shops where one can get it. I have a recipe that I found on line that calls for sour cassava flour.  

3 hours ago, Externet said:

How To Make Cassava Starch & Flour At Home:

She received the starch around the 12th minute of the video, after it precipitated out of the liquid after several hours.

Hi exchemist.    My simplest way without claiming being best, that you may alter/improve your way later :

Get a plain "cream cheese" equivalent to U.S. 'Philadelphia' brand.  4 ounces (half pack here) WARM !, ~ 25-30 0C not from the refrigerator !

1 cup of yuca starch.

Half a teaspoon maximum of salt.

One teaspoon of baking powder.

2 tablespoons of water.

Mix to very uniform and make 8 balls to 340 0F for 22 minutes.

Come back with results.

image.png.3f3da081fc003fc43c96ca691d875e72.png

Goya Yuca Harina, 24 Oz

Bread result should have an elastic cheese core.  Goes well served with yogurt

34 minutes ago, Externet said:

Add raisins to bakings with white cheese. It tastes better.

1 hour ago, Externet said:

You can also add poppy seeds as sprinkles. I take poppy seed buns, regardless of whether they will be sweet or unsweet dishes.

2 hours ago, Externet said:

Hi exchemist.    My simplest way without claiming being best, that you may alter/improve your way later :

Get a plain "cream cheese" equivalent to U.S. 'Philadelphia' brand.  4 ounces (half pack here) WARM !, ~ 25-30 0C not from the refrigerator !

1 cup of yuca starch.

Half a teaspoon maximum of salt.

One teaspoon of baking powder.

2 tablespoons of water.

Mix to very uniform and make 8 balls to 340 0F for 22 minutes.

Come back with results.

image.png.3f3da081fc003fc43c96ca691d875e72.png

Goya Yuca Harina, 24 Oz

I'm certainly not going to use that Philadelphia stuff. 😝 I'm going to use a hard cheese with some flavour. But that picture looks as if it may be  sweet cassava flour (polvilho doce - doce may mean sweet, like dolce.)

As I say, I have a recipe. All I need is to source the right kind of cassava flour. The recipe calls for sour not sweet (polvilho azedo). I'm going to ask my cleaner to get me some, from the Brazilian shop close to where she lives in Streatham.

If it works, I may post it for comparison. The key thing will be to get that special chewy texture that you can't get with wheat flour. They are nice with a cup of tea, in the afternoon, as an alternative to the cheese scones I sometimes make. 

Never seen done with hard cheese nor modern flavors.  It is a humble invent of natives using only basic ingredients available to them.    Perhaps melting such cheese could work ?    Some use grated mozzarella instead... Needs to be soft to behave as dough when mixed with the flour !.

Not brasilian but colombian style (pandebono) ; here is someone using UK ingredients :
---> https://www.glutenfreealchemist.com/pandebonos-south-american-cheese-bread/

Try the simple very basic recipe I posted first.  Then go fancy.

After 25 years in Nigeria, fufu (go Google) remains a step too far for me.

I try it from time to time but come away from the experience understanding that I'm evolved to find a good crusty loaf my carbohydrate of choice.

Mrs Seth loves it and total respect to those who can share in that pleasure, but it is a taste I have yet to acquire.