Sam Alman is a CROOK, part deux (now broadcasting in the correct subforum)

AIkonoklazt

Sorta wonder if this is all some kind of decimal point error.  

Not enough lanthanides in the entire planet, even if everyone started recycling their cellphones (and all other electronics) and government stopped stockpiling them.  Altman would have to have a fat M-type asteroid tucked away somewhere.  

34 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Sorta wonder if this is all some kind of decimal point error.  

Not enough lanthanides in the entire planet, even if everyone started recycling their cellphones (and all other electronics) and government stopped stockpiling them.  Altman would have to have a fat M-type asteroid tucked away somewhere.  

Assuming all of the pitch is for making fabs, which nobody actually knows. This is all speculation. That’s all this is, since nobody has presented any facts about the proposal other than the dollar amount.

Fabs use a lot of energy, so you need to install a lot of power generation capability. Processing also uses water, which means installing infrastructure for that. You can build your own cities for workers, so it’s possible you’d be building that, too. We don’t know how comprehensive it was.

The basic knee-jerk analysis, that $7T for chip plants is preposterous, should lead to at least the possibility that there’s more to the proposal. The idea that you can only come to this one conclusion is idiotic, and just tiresome manufactured outrage. An exercise in bad-faith discussion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 10:56 AM, swansont said:

Assuming all of the pitch is for making fabs, which nobody actually knows. This is all speculation. That’s all this is, since nobody has presented any facts about the proposal other than the dollar amount.

Fabs use a lot of energy, so you need to install a lot of power generation capability. Processing also uses water, which means installing infrastructure for that. You can build your own cities for workers, so it’s possible you’d be building that, too. We don’t know how comprehensive it was.

The basic knee-jerk analysis, that $7T for chip plants is preposterous, should lead to at least the possibility that there’s more to the proposal. The idea that you can only come to this one conclusion is idiotic, and just tiresome manufactured outrage. An exercise in bad-faith discussion.

I'm not the one arguing in bad faith.
I'm the one who presented all the numbers on other engineering projects as well as silicon fabs. Where are your supporting arguments, except using the word "lots" a couple of times?

Next thing I know you're going to say people like Jim Keller is making bad faith arguments. https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/artificial-intelligence/jim-keller-responds-to-sam-altmans-plan-to-raise-dollar7-billion-to-make-ai-chips

I have solid numbers to back myself up. You blow a lot of smoke. Are you sure you are setting the highest possible example for this forum?

,,,Because you don't yield to evidence, and on top of that have the gall to ironically keep that "bad faith" accusation going.

You're even worse than the average sophist I run into online. Time to ask yourself why you even have this place up.

6 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

I'm the one who presented all the numbers on other engineering projects as well as silicon fabs.

But only for what you think is in the proposal. You don’t have those details (or haven’t shared them), so we don’t know - you’re just guessing. I’ve pointed out a few logical things that might have been in the proposal that you did not include. 

6 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

Where are your supporting arguments, except using the word "lots" a couple of times?

I’m not making any argument. I’m just pointing out the incompleteness of your assertion, and asking you fill in the gaps. Instead of doing so, or even engaging in exploration of it, you attack. It’s quite telling. It’s also quite obvious.