Cosmic Megastructure Challenges Theories of the Universe

Alex_Krycek

Very interesting discovery here, regarding the discover of a cosmic megastructure.

Such new discoveries are putting the spotlight on the so called "cosmological principle", the notion that the spatial distribution of matter in the universe is equally distributed and isotropic when viewed on a large enough scale.

Summary:

A 1.3bn light year-sized ring discovered by PhD student in Lancashire appears to defy the cosmological principle assumption.

Astronomers have discovered a ring-shaped cosmic megastructure, the proportions of which challenge existing theories of the universe.

The so-called Big Ring has a diameter of about 1.3bn light years, making it among the largest structures ever observed. At more than 9bn light years from Earth, it is too faint to see directly, but its diameter on the night sky would be equivalent to 15 full moons.

The observations, presented on Thursday at the 243rd meeting of the American Astronomical Society in New Orleans, are significant because the size of the Big Ring appears to defy a fundamental assumption in cosmology called the cosmological principle. This states that above a certain spatial scale, the universe is homogeneous and looks identical in every direction.

Full Article:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/11/newly-discovered-cosmic-megastructure-challenges-theories-of-the-universe

2 hours ago, Alex_Krycek said:

Very interesting discovery here, regarding the discover of a cosmic megastructure.

Such new discoveries are putting the spotlight on the so called "cosmological principle", the notion that the spatial distribution of matter in the universe is equally distributed and isotropic when viewed on a large enough scale.

Summary:

A 1.3bn light year-sized ring discovered by PhD student in Lancashire appears to defy the cosmological principle assumption.

Astronomers have discovered a ring-shaped cosmic megastructure, the proportions of which challenge existing theories of the universe.

The so-called Big Ring has a diameter of about 1.3bn light years, making it among the largest structures ever observed. At more than 9bn light years from Earth, it is too faint to see directly, but its diameter on the night sky would be equivalent to 15 full moons.

The observations, presented on Thursday at the 243rd meeting of the American Astronomical Society in New Orleans, are significant because the size of the Big Ring appears to defy a fundamental assumption in cosmology called the cosmological principle. This states that above a certain spatial scale, the universe is homogeneous and looks identical in every direction.

Full Article:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/11/newly-discovered-cosmic-megastructure-challenges-theories-of-the-universe

If Wikipedia is accurate, the following cosmic megastructures are larger, in maximum dimension, than the ring-shaped cosmic megastructure:

• Hurcule-Corona Borealis Great Wall -  9.7bn light years (discovery - 2014)
  • Griant GRB ring - 5.6bn light years (2015)
  • Huge LQG - 4bn light years (2013)
  • Giant Arc - 3.3bn light years (2012)
  • U1.11 LQG - 2.5bn light years (2011)
  • Clowes-Campusano LQG - 2bn light years (1991)
  • Sloan Great Wall - 1.38bn light years (2003)
  • South Pole Wall - 1.37bn light years (2020)

I think that I am correct in my statement of larger objects than the ring-shaped cosmic megastructure!

As for challenging existing theories of the universe, I will let the experts debate that one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cosmic_structures

Usually, when a split occurs, a link is provided to the new thread; I do not see one!

Am-I looking in the wrong location?

14 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

Usually, when a split occurs, a link is provided to the new thread; I do not see one!

Am-I looking in the wrong location?

Got it! moved to cosmology!

1 hour ago, hoola said:

in a universe this big, could not the structure be of a statistical occurrence at least once within our light cone?

Not sure that I understand your statement; can you substantiate?

31 minutes ago, hoola said:

I meant, given the size of the universe, a structure of such anomalous proportions may be inevitable to happen and still be a random occurrence.  

But, its not the only one; see listing. And the listing is incomplete

Also, this tread has moved to physics, astronomy and cosmology.

Maybe we should continue the conversation there.

I posted one that asks help understanding light-year.

Under Determining Distance - split from consmic megastructure

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.